Small SACD Player?
Nov 16, 2006 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

labmat

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm thinking about dipping my foot into the world of SACDs and since I don't have a player capable of playing them I'm looking for suggestions.

I have already discovered that there aren't any portable SACD players; what I'm wondering is if there are any relitavely small (like 5" x 5" x 1") single disk SACD players. I'm looking for something that won't take up much room on my desk at work; I'm already getting a hard time about my LDII+
icon10.gif

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nov 17, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 53
I've been looking around at various players and they all seem to be full-sized desktop affairs.

There are a few slim ones that incorporate DVD, though. They're generally not as highly regarded as standalone CD/SACD only decks. If you want to get your feet wet, you really can't go wrong with the Sony SCD-CE595 for about $60 right now. It's not small, but it does sound good.

Also, I think your amp will resolve it fine. Give it a try, especially if you like jazz and classical. SACDs sound great and I think your K-701s would be happy!

Nov 17, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 53
I know for a fact that Onkyo makes a tiny SACD player because I saw it at an electronic store just last weekend! I think it is exactly what you are looking for!
3000smile.gif

It was less than half the size of a normal compent. It was a part of a compent system but could be bought seperately. I know it's what I want but I will have to wait until after my winter vaction travels. I have owned an onkyo cd player in the past and while probably not having the last word in resolution and detail, I found it very transparent, quick, and musical. What more can you ask at this price point? The price was around 45,000 YEN. Hope this helps.

Nov 17, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know for a fact that Onkyo makes a tiny SACD player because I saw it at an electronic store just last weekend! I think it is exactly what you are looking for!

Maybe the CSV720? It seems to be a bit bulky, even with the small footprint, and all in one package ($320 at Circuit City) or just the player/receiver part for about $130 on ebay (Denon DR-UN7).

I'm looking for a similar small-footprint SACD/DVD but don't know exactly if this is the kind of thing I want. It sure is cheap, and with digital out would probably at least make a decent transport for SACD/DVD.

--Chris

Nov 17, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a similar small-footprint SACD/DVD but don't know exactly if this is the kind of thing I want. It sure is cheap, and with digital out would probably at least make a decent transport for SACD/DVD.

--Chris

DSD can't be output digitally unless you have something like the Esoteric P-01/D-01.
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the CSV720?

I checked your link. It's the same idea but smaller and just a dedicated SACD/CD player with RCA outs. I will try sneaking in tomorrow and taking a pic to post (or at least grab the product into). I should note I'm in Japan eh.

Nov 17, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked your link. It's the same idea but smaller and just a dedicated SACD/CD player with RCA outs. I will try sneaking in tomorrow and taking a pic to post (or at least grab the product into). I should note I'm in Japan eh.

I would definately be interested inseeing this Onkyo player. I looked at the player/reciever in the link and if you ditched the reciever part it would be perfect!

Nov 17, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to get your feet wet, you really can't go wrong with the Sony SCD-CE595 for about $60 right now.

Please tell me where can I pick one up for $60? I'm all over it!
eggosmile.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 53
All the small players suck. If sound isn't important, then go for it. But just because it's SACD and will have better resolution, doesn't guarantee that a cheap SACD player will be better than a decent redbook player KWIM?

Nov 18, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #13 of 53
Actually, the PS3 idea isn't half bad. I'll be getting one eventually (over a year down the road) - I think it would be an excellent thing if the modders (SACDmods, Modwright, RAM, TRL, and anyone else I've missed) could figure out a way to maximize the unit's audio output. Then I wouldn't have to buy a separate SACD player...

As a comparison, take a look at the tiny PS2s that are being sold now, just like the final models of PSOnes. If they can do the same thing with PS3, we'll have a semi-portable gaming/Blu-Ray/SACD audio multi-channel powerhouse. Heck, the modders could even start with the final PS2 - it would be great if you could get improved DVD upsampling to HDTV or a new audio output section.

Oh, the possibilities... I wish I had those kind of technical skillz
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All the small players suck. If sound isn't important, then go for it.

My Lord, what kind of comment is this??!?! Small players don't suck, sitting there bored with no tunes sucks. You're actually right though, sound isn't important, music is.
rs1smile.gif

There are many reasons someone might want a small SACD player and many reasons to help a fellow head-fi'er. Do you have helpful info other than to suggest a $20,000 Ayre>Norst>ES-1 system for the OP's office desk?
rolleyes.gif
Does it make your blood boil that some people on Head-fi have bought phones just for good comfort? You don't need to answer, but I'm sure everyone in the thread knows corners will have to be cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back