Small, Comfortable IEMs for Voice
Aug 2, 2007 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jazic

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey crew! I just got into the world of audiobooks and was hoping to find a very comfortable, small and good isolating IEM that I could listen to for hours without any discomfort.

Sound quality aside which would be best for what I'm looking for?

I have in the past owned a pair of E4G's that were extremely good at isolating and small sized but, I found them to be uncomfortable after long usage. That said they were pushed pretty far into my head for better isolation from outside noise.

I'm considering a pair of Livewires as they would fit nicely but was hoping for something a little cheaper.

Currently I am using UE Super.fi 3's with Shure Triple Flanges and they isolate extremely well but are still like the E4's uncomfortable after long usage. I have owned a pair of Shure E2's but the cord breaking was kind of a downer yet I loved their comfort.

Does anyone have any recommendations that you could recommend aside from another E2C?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey crew! I just got into the world of audiobooks and was hoping to find a very comfortable, small and good isolating IEM that I could listen to for hours without any discomfort.

Sound quality aside which would be best for what I'm looking for?

I have in the past owned a pair of E4G's that were extremely good at isolating and small sized but, I found them to be uncomfortable after long usage. That said they were pushed pretty far into my head for better isolation from outside noise.

I'm considering a pair of Livewires as they would fit nicely but was hoping for something a little cheaper.

Currently I am using UE Super.fi 3's with Shure Triple Flanges and they isolate extremely well but are still like the E4's uncomfortable after long usage. I have owned a pair of Shure E2's but the cord breaking was kind of a downer yet I loved their comfort.

Does anyone have any recommendations that you could recommend aside from another E2C?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Try to find a pair of foamies that fit the Super.fi 3, cheapest option.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 15
The e500's are great indeed. Very comfortable and I could wear them for days not just hours. Thing is they didn't have much isolation at all and I'm looking for something for low bit rate voice so $300 IEMs with 32kbps mono audiobooks seems kind of... extreme?

Also foamies for the Superfi 3's? I tried to fit some e500 foamy sleeves but had no luck at all as they were impossible to slide on due to its harder rubber vs softer rubber on the triple flanges.

Aug 3, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 15
if you don't like triflanges, you're never gonna like them
but since you liked the shure e2g fit, look into the sleeves designed for shure iems

iem comfort is all about tips, imo

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I have in the past owned a pair of E4G's that were extremely good at isolating and small sized but, I found them to be uncomfortable after long usage

when you shove anything into your skull, comfort is key. They may sound great, but if they pain you then you won't be listening to them for any length of time.

From Rolling your own sleeves to the new black olives, there has to be something in the shure arsenal that will provide you the isolation, comfort and quality of sound you're looking for.

after the e4, i'm sorry to say the prices only go up and up if you're looking to improve on the Sound Signature of whatever you want to listen to.

Welcome to head-fi. My condolences to your wallet.

Aug 3, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Try the black olive foams by Shure if you haven't yet, they should be more comfortable than tri flanges.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #15 of 15
I had the opportunity to use some etymotic er6 the other day and i must say they are very comfortable and sounded great for what i was using them for (voice, actually). I was on a tour of a oil company's drill bit manufacturing facility and they issued everyone a wireless reciever with some er6's to protect everyones ears and still allow them to hear the tour guide, who had a mic plugged in to a wireless transmitter thing.

Well I could not hear ANYTHING after putting them in (using bi-flange tips), even standing near workers firing off furnaces and welding equipment. as for sound, the guides voice came through very clear, even though we were using somewhat old recievers. If you have the money to get er6's, they isolate incredibly well and will sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back