SLR lens filters
Jan 3, 2006 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
Any opinion on a good grand of lens filters? There are so many brands and they have similar products. I'm just looking for basics -- UV and a circular polarizer.

Jan 3, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 14
I've used Tiffen glass filters (UV, Clear Protection and Skylight 1A filters) and Hoya UV glass filters and they're quite good for the money. There are the multi-coated filters, ultra thin filters, and other variances which raise the price, and that's up to you if you want to try them. B+W and Heliopan are also good choices, but again are the most expensive.

Jan 3, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 14
I recommend filter manufacturer selection limited to the brand of your camera's lens or two others, namely Tiffen or B+W. The advantage of purchasing a filter from the lens manufacturer is that they (most of the time) take into account the filter thickness to eliminate vignetting for your wide angle prime lens or zoom lens. I can tell you that Nikon definitely does.

If you would like to be on the "safe" side, purchase the Tiffen Wide Angle Filter in the thread dimension that your front lens element requires. If you own several lenses, try purchasing a Circ. Polarizer in the larger size and then use a step-down ring to be more versatile.

Finally, remember that a filter should be the same quality (or better) as your lens. Happy shooting!

Jan 3, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 14
I use mostly Hoya stuff because they are often very good values. Tiffen + B/W are also good. For the UV I would definitely recommend the Hoya multi-coated one. For circular polarizers there are a variety of different options... I'm using the Hoya one right now and I like it, though I have used others that are somewhat easier to use... also, it does provide a bit cooler image than some other polarizers do. (IIRC)

stevesurf makes a good point that is often overlooked, if you use many different lenses buy filters larger than you need and then use step-down rings.... That way you only have to buy one of each kind of filter. In fact, I would recommend looking at the largest lens that you could see yourself buying in the next 10 years and use its filter size as your standard.

Jan 3, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 14
If money were no issue, I would get either B+W or Heliopan. Of course, I'd also be shooting a Leica MP with a bag full of Summicrons.
icon10.gif

However, as it stands, I use Hoya or Tiffen. I am not all that big of a filter person, so I tend to overlook some of the fancier ones. I think I have a UV, circular polarizer, and a red 25A.

Jan 3, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 14
As everyone above already mentioned b&w, tiffen and hoya are the best one. If you have a digital camera then just get a UV filter to protect your lense. The polarizer effect can be done easily in photoshop.
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
As everyone above already mentioned b&w, tiffen and hoya are the best one. If you have a digital camera then just get a UV filter to protect your lense. The polarizer effect can be done easily in photoshop.
biggrin.gif

Not if you are shooting water surface or reflective objects.

-Ed

Jan 4, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks.

Before posting I had ordered a Hoya UV filter (the "pro" model) off of eBay for a really nice price. I'm glad to find out that Hoya is at least decent.

But what about the various grades? Hoya alone has at least 4. I'm not that serious of a photographer. I use it mainly to take snap shots. I'm guessing I won't notice the difference between even the lowest grade and the highest grade.

Jan 4, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 14
I've just got some Tiffen stuff for now. My lenses aren't that great. I figure once I upgrade to a DSLR, I'll do a complete overhaul of lenses and filters. Money, money, money...

But yes, definitely buy 'em bigger than you need, and then use step-downs. Circ. Polarizers in particular are bloody expensive. The only one you shouldn't bother with are Skylight/UV filters. They're cheap enough that it makes for good insurance against lens damage. Get one for every lens. But again, if they are of lower quality than the lens, guess what's coming through in your pictures?

Jan 4, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Not if you are shooting water surface or reflective objects.

-Ed

True but thats very limited use. I shot for 10 years and i almost always used a polarizer to boost colours on positive films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back