Slighty disappointed with HD280's.. Need recommendations, quick!
Feb 28, 2003 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

subscience

New Head-Fier
So, I bought my first real pair of cans a few days ago. I opted for the Senn HD280's because of some personal recommendations. After about 3 days of burn in, I must say, they sound absolutely fantastic when listening to jazz. I've never experienced audio quality like this before (in headphones). However, I am disappointed with the lack of "oomph" in the bass (for lack of better terms...)

My music taste varies wildly: I listen to alot of jazz and drum and bass mostly. However, I also do listen to alot of rock and other genres of music.

So, I guess my question is this: For the price range (sub $150), can I do any better? I realize that different headphones are better for different types of music, but are there a pair of headphones that really shine in this price range? Thanks in advance!

Feb 28, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 24
Of course you can do better, if one of your basic criteria includes...the so called 'ooomph' effect.

then Grado is the way to go.

Grado sr80 is so cheap, wonder why you didnt get that in the first place.

the sr60 is worth it too, but paying only $20 for that extra bit of sound when getting sr80 is much better.

Feb 28, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 24
Thanks kenchi. I'll look into those.

EDIT - Oh, I forgot to mention.. I'd like a set of closed headphones, as I'm a college student and don't want to bother my roommates nor be bothered by them when I'm studying and such.

Feb 28, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 24
No, no amp. I'm relatively new to the whole headphone arena (well, the non-stock-earbud arena). I'll generally be using it on my computer (which will have an M-Audio Revolution soon enough).

However, I will probably get an amp within the month. Nothing too fancy - probably a small sub $100 amp.

Feb 28, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 24
If you're using a computer, just boost the bass! Most decent soundcards have a parametric EQ function. Select a boost around the 60-80hz mark. If that doesn't do the trick then the Sony V6 the phone for you.

Feb 28, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by subscience
Thanks kenchi. I'll look into those.

EDIT - Oh, I forgot to mention.. I'd like a set of closed headphones, as I'm a college student and don't want to bother my roommates nor be bothered by them when I'm studying and such.

I dont think your roommates will really mind, since i use it in a dorm room too. who cares---you want sound quality or you care more about your dormmates...hehhe.

Feb 28, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 24
First off, don't give up on the 280's too quickly. I highly recommend a decent amp, a Meta42 made by one of the DIYer's if you can stretch your budget. I had one here for a few days at work with my 280's out of a soundcard, the difference was pretty dramatic. Bass was fuller and more detailed, not too mention it was just an all round improvement. Second I found the bass takes a looong time to really break in, I would say mine took at least 100 hours.

If you get a Meta42 the worst that could happen would be you still find them light in the bass and decide to sell them. You'll still have a great amp for whatever else you decide to go with.

Feb 28, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #10 of 24
bangraman - Good point. I'm currently using on-board audio (dear god, WHY!?.. hehe) and I'm waiting for either a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or (hopefully) an M-Audio Revolution.

kenchi - Well, I don't want to be able to hear them, either.
smily_headphones1.gif
My roommate tends to play his music quite loud too.

Thanks for all the replies!

Feb 28, 2003 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 24
Alternatively if you do decide to take them back I think your alternatives would be the Sony MDR-7506 or the Beyerdynamic DT250-80 With the Beyers make sure to get the 80 ohm version, the 250 ohm version is more expensive. If your getting an amp you could also look at Beyerdynamic DT 770 which is said to have some of the most awesome bass of any headphone.

Feb 28, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 24
Ok that's weird What happened to the links
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

And to clarify the MDR-7506 is supposed to be the same as the V6.

Feb 28, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #15 of 24
well, most sony v phones are not worth your time...

but the V6's on the other hand have very good highs, depending on who you ask. they are so clear and detailed that sometimes they come out a bit harsh. the mids on the v6 are somewhat recessed, but i find that with certain voices and instruments it is not really a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back