sleepytime gorilla museum - in glorious times
Jun 1, 2007 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Thelonious Monk

Headphoneus Supremus
Inglorioustimes.jpg

sgm is as quirky and awesome as ever. everything on the end records is great. if you like metal and have a taste for the exotic i suggest this band and their label to you. reminds me of stuff like mr bungle, estradasphere, and secret chiefs 3, but heavy as hell.

anyone have recommendations for other weird/experimental metal/other rock? i am loving stuff like this lately. really grabs my attention. i especially like this particular album because it for the most part lacks an element of sgm i'm not fond of- getting into a real groove and then messing it up. thinking of 1997 from their first album. would have been better as two separate songs.

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 5
sleepytime gorilla museum are awesome, this album is just as good as of natural history, which is also fantastic.

in recommending bands that you may also like, be aware that most 'avant-garde' bands mess around with melody and time sigs, so you cant really avoid it.

with that in mind check out;
Maudlin of the Well, (which later became) Kayo Dot,
Idiot Flesh (most of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, but older),
Bloody Panda (doomier stuff, awesome),
The Book of Knots (noisier than SGM, again awesome),
Giant Squid (simply awesome),
Shub Niggurath,
Time of Orchids.

on the proggier side of things;
Bubblemath,
Aarni,
Diablo Swing Orchestra,
Sebkha-Chott (french ska influences experimental metal).

on the heavier side of things;
East west blast test (zappa meets grindcore),
Ghenghis Tron (cybergrind),
Lykathea Aflame (extreme metal/experimental/avant-garde).

thats all i can think of right now, all highly recommended bands!

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 5
in searching for more information about Lykathea Aflame, it appears i've stumbled upon my own topic. the growling is horrible, but the instrumentation is genius[/]. especially the song "A Step Closer". but, good lord, it sounds like the vocalist is underwater and eating a pancake. i like growling when it's done right but... ???

thanks for those recommendations though, i thought no one replied to this thread at all. some of those names i've never seen at all.

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 5
While it took me a while to really love it, I can't recommend UneXpect's In A Flesh Aquarium enough. It's just an amazing album. And I'd definitely second the recommendation of Diablo Swing Orchestra's The Butcher's Ballroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back