"Sleepable" IEM's?
Dec 20, 2005 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MaGG

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking on picking up a pair of IEM's with cash that I'm going to get for Christmas, and I've been looking around quite a bit without being able to make a decision. One big thing that I'd like to have is the ability to sleep with them in. I know the Super.Fi's jut out quite a bit and can be uncomfortable; I've heard of Shure's being small enough for it though.

My choice has almost been narrowed to the UM1's, but I'm still not sure if they are able to do that, or how comfortable they are in general.

Any recommendations / advice from you guys? Music choice is mainly metal/hardcore, used for walking around campus and while at work. Thanks for the help
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 17
While I wouldn't recommend sleeping with IEMs in, I've fallen asleep with my ER4-Ps in a couple times. They stayed in my ears through the night, but my ears (not eardrums) did hurt the next morning. Wearing IEMs for an extended period of time can hamper the natural flow of ear wax, and can't be good for your hearing..

IMO.

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 17
Well I don't want them to sleep with them in, necessarily, but I want something that I'll be able to lay down on and it won't stab me in the brain. If I tried to actually fall asleep with them in, I'm afraid my music would keep me up because I'd keep listening
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 17
Westone UM2 and Shure e5c.

And any custom made IEM are also sleepable.

Dec 20, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmcheese
I would reccomend getting a pair of EX-71 or 51 just for when you sleep and one that is geared towards your sound preferances.

EX71s: The most comfortable IEMs for sleeping, but with shrill highs and overstated bass.

e4s: not as comfortable, but a far more detailed presentation.

Conclusion: if it is just for sleeping and at lower volumes, the EX71s will be very comfortable for you, unless you have extremely small ear canals.

Dec 20, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
While I wouldn't recommend sleeping with IEMs in, I've fallen asleep with my ER4-Ps in a couple times. They stayed in my ears through the night, but my ears (not eardrums) did hurt the next morning.

I do that as well. My ER-4P have a really tight seal and stay on tight for an indefinite amount of time. I wouldn't recommend IEM over night either because of hearing damage due to extended listening periods (8-10hrs).

Dec 20, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 17
What does one do with the cable that wraps around one's neck while sleeping/turning? I can lay on my side reasonably comfortable with the E5 phones, but hardly believe it desirable to 'spend the night' with them.

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 17
Hmm... I don't think I can recommend sleeping through the night with IEM's in your ear. To think that your ears are listening to music for the entire time that you are sleeping doesn't sound like too good of an idea, and may end up causing hearing damage that you could avoid by taking your phones out of ears before you pass out for the night...

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_CoCa
You could always use the "sleep" function of the iPod's...if you have one
etysmile.gif
and for sleeping I use the 'buds, I'm afraid of the IEM's while sleeping hehe

Aren't you afraid of turning over and trashing your source sytem. I know, how about a bedside radio?

Dec 20, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyntheticDream
For some reason i find it more comfortable to sleep with my shure e2c's with foamies rather than my sony ex71's.... but then again i hate the sony's... worst purchase ever.. hah.

I'm with you on that. The e2c's are more comfortable than my e71's to me, but then again I don't like sleeping with any IEM's in my ear. I usually leave my computer speakers on if I want to sleep with music playing.

Dec 20, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
Aren't you afraid of turning over and trashing your source sytem. I know, how about a bedside radio?

I put it below one of my pillows, I only do it like once a week and my year old iPod is still working
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back