Sleek SA6 for $200, best in class?
Sep 8, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 42
At that price they are definately the best option in their price-range! They only just fall short of the triplefi's and SE530's sonically (some bass quantiy, resolution of sound and instruement separation), in my opinion, which is a huge credit for a single balanced-armature IEM! They have the customisable VQ system, which works well, are moddable, have replaceable cables, a, literally, second to none CS backing and a wireless adaptor just around the corner (due for release sometime this month).

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 42
I just got my SA6s last week after reading what other Head-FIers had posted...it's shaping up to be another one of my best decisions (the other being my sennheisers!)

Fantastic isolation, sound (especially mid/high), and customizability. Plus, there's an upcoming wireless option that also looks pretty exciting. For $199 (amazon), I don't see how you can go wrong.

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 42
How do the SA6s stack up against the UE Super.fi 5 Pros and Jays Q-Jays?

I keep searching for the best $200 IEM, and I keep coming back to the Super.fi 5 Pros. They do get a lot of praise, but I wonder if they are rapidly become outdated by better competition.

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the SA6s stack up against the UE Super.fi 5 Pros and Jays Q-Jays?

I keep searching for the best $200 IEM, and I keep coming back to the Super.fi 5 Pros. They do get a lot of praise, but I wonder if they are rapidly become outdated by better competition.

I can't comment on the Q-Jays, but I do have the Super.fi's. The SA6 is better in almost every way except 2.

The Super.fi's have more base quantity than the SA6's although not as clear. The SA6's reach just as deep if not deeper than the Super.fi's and have enough speed and quantity for trance for my taste but there just isn't as much of it.

The Super.fi also have a different type of soundstage than the SA6's. With the SA6's you feel like you are inside the music. Like the music surrounds you. However, as other's have commented, the instrument separation could be a little better. With the Super.fi's, I feel the separation is better but not as clear. I feel like I'm on stage but not necessarily "in" the music. I think that has more to do with the "recessed" mids and good but not great highs.

The SA6 is VERY well balanced across the spectrum. One instrument that goes missing with the Super.fi's are cymbals. It's the most noticeable difference to me so far. With the Super.fi's you hear the initial hit on the cymbals but then the sound just dies. With the SA6's, you hear them much more cleanly and you can hear the sound of the cymbals continue to echoe a bit in the background. Just as you would if you heard them live. The mids are MUCH better presented for vocals on the SA6. Lyrics are much more crisp and you can hear every little detail. Which may or may not be a good thing. Highs are also better on the SA6. You can hear all the instruments much more distinctly than the Super.fi's even though the separation seems narrower. Both are "fun" headphones. With the Super.fi's the emphasis is mostly on the bass with recessed mids and good highs. With the SA6's, there's a slight emphasis on the mids. Both sounding better than ER-4P's when you just want to relax and enjoy the music IMO.

For me, there's no question the SA6's are better than the Super.fi's and ER-4P's. The are more comfortable than both of the other IEM's in terms of fit as well.

As far as the Q-jays, from what I've read it seems like they have more bass than the SA6's but lose out a bit when it comes to the mids and highs. Both are great IEM's in this price range. The customization possible w/ the SA6's pursuaded me to buy them and I don't regret that decision at all.

FYI (I'm used a SONY A829 with 192kbps+ mp3's with clear bass set to +2 and equalizer settings of 0,+1,0,+1,0 with the SA6's treble+/bass+ and Comply tips with the Super.fi's)

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't comment on the Q-Jays, but I do have the Super.fi's. The SA6 is better in almost every way except 2.

The Super.fi's have more base quantity than the SA6's although not as clear. The SA6's reach just as deep if not deeper than the Super.fi's and have enough speed and quantity for trance for my taste but there just isn't as much of it.

The Super.fi also have a different type of soundstage than the SA6's. With the SA6's you feel like you are inside the music. Like the music surrounds you. However, as other's have commented, the instrument separation could be a little better. With the Super.fi's, I feel the separation is better but not as clear. I feel like I'm on stage but not necessarily "in" the music. I think that has more to do with the "recessed" mids and good but not great highs.

The SA6 is VERY well balanced across the spectrum. One instrument that goes missing with the Super.fi's are cymbals. It's the most noticeable difference to me so far. With the Super.fi's you hear the initial hit on the cymbals but then the sound just dies. With the SA6's, you hear them much more cleanly and you can hear the sound of the cymbals continue to echoe a bit in the background. Just as you would if you heard them live. The mids are MUCH better presented for vocals on the SA6. Lyrics are much more crisp and you can hear every little detail. Which may or may not be a good thing. Highs are also better on the SA6. You can hear all the instruments much more distinctly than the Super.fi's even though the separation seems narrower. Both are "fun" headphones. With the Super.fi's the emphasis is mostly on the bass with recessed mids and good highs. With the SA6's, there's a slight emphasis on the mids. Both sounding better than ER-4P's when you just want to relax and enjoy the music IMO.

For me, there's no question the SA6's are better than the Super.fi's and ER-4P's. The are more comfortable than both of the other IEM's in terms of fit as well.

As far as the Q-jays, from what I've read it seems like they have more bass than the SA6's but lose out a bit when it comes to the mids and highs. Both are great IEM's in this price range. The customization possible w/ the SA6's pursuaded me to buy them and I don't regret that decision at all.

FYI (I'm used a SONY A829 with 192kbps+ mp3's with clear bass set to +2 and equalizer settings of 0,+1,0,+1,0 with the SA6's treble+/bass+ and Comply tips with the Super.fi's)

Excellent conveyance of sleek's sonic character and frequency distribution!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 42
maverick777: Thanks for the thorough review!

I am looking at spending $200 on new IEMs and the SA6s are looking more tempting.

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent conveyance of sleek's sonic character and frequency distribution!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.
biggrin.gif

That was my first review of the SA6's since I got them. The SA6's have been discussed thoroughly here so I didn't feel it was necessary for me to start my own thread about them. It was reading the SA6 thread that convinced me to buy them over the Q-Jays and UM2's.

Quote:

maverick777: Thanks for the thorough review!

I am looking at spending $200 on new IEMs and the SA6s are looking more tempting.

IEM's in this range are all "flawed" in some way. You just have to pick one that fits the music you listen to. The only way to have an IEM for EVERY type of music is to collect them all.
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 42
I'm gonna be the wet towel here and say that of many IEMs I've tried over the years, only the Etymotic ER4S impressed me, and it was still a far shot away from a full-sized headphone.

The SA6 was almost like the Vibes; warm mids and lows, tinny highs (with a bit of sparkle), and the percussion section was ruined. They sounded almost inverted, and basically off-pitch. It creeped me out, and yes I did try with all different tips and all different bass and treble ports.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.
biggrin.gif

That was my first review of the SA6's since I got them. The SA6's have been discussed thoroughly here so I didn't feel it was necessary for me to start my own thread about them. It was reading the SA6 thread that convinced me to buy them over the Q-Jays and UM2's.

IEM's in this range are all "flawed" in some way. You just have to pick one that fits the music you listen to. The only way to have an IEM for EVERY type of music is to collect them all.
biggrin.gif

And what if female vocal trance is your type of music?

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

And what if female vocal trance is your type of music?

If you have a player that can add the right amount of low end like the Sony A8xx series (clear bass), you're in for a treat. I LOVE the way vocal trance sounds through the SA6's with my A829. Not so great for trance with my 80gb iPod video (iPods in general are sorely lacking in the bass department).

If you don't have a player than EQ's very well, I would say you will miss the low end and should get the Q-Jays instead.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna be the wet towel here and say that of many IEMs I've tried over the years, only the Etymotic ER4S impressed me, and it was still a far shot away from a full-sized headphone.

The SA6 was almost like the Vibes; warm mids and lows, tinny highs (with a bit of sparkle), and the percussion section was ruined. They sounded almost inverted, and basically off-pitch. It creeped me out, and yes I did try with all different tips and all different bass and treble ports.

The ER4S is a very good IEMs. They do produce more naturally sounding percussion than the SA6's for sure. But for trance and R&B songs, they are sorely lacking the thumping bass. Bass you can hear AND feel. As long as you don't mind missing the low end a bit, ER4S's are great! It all comes down to the kind of music you are listening to.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 42
Just glad I don't have your ears, I guess. I owned the ER4PS with the S adapter cable and sold the Etys (way too fatiguing) to finance a pair of Atrio M5s. Comparing the SA6s to the Vibes is especially strange. I misguidedly owned a pair of Vibes, and I don't see how you can compare the two. But hey, one wet blanket is fine. I don't see too many others who have owned the the Sleeks trashing them. Some have sold them or returned them, deciding they preferred other IEMs. But that's the first time I have seen them compared to the Vibes. Not finding them comparable to full-sized phones is understandable. Rating as being almost like the Vibes is a minority opinion of one - from what I have read (and heard).

Of course, if you've only liked a single pair of IEMs in all your experience, why even comment on them at all? No matter what pair someone asks about, you are going to give them a thumbs down, unless they are Ety ER4Ss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back