Sleek Audio SA6, Is there anything better?
Dec 5, 2009 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Tsujigiri

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been looking around on the forums for an upgrade, and was originally thinking of getting the Allessandro MS-1's. Now, though, the Sleek Audio's look really nice, and I've seen them for $150 on some sites. All the reviews I've seen of them are positive, but then there are also people who make comments about how there are better options out there. Can anyone point me towards some of these better options? I currently have Altec-Lansing 336's, which I really like. However, they pop out of my ears all the time, so I'll be looking for a non-over the ear model this time (and the small size is part of the appeal of the SA6 for me). I'm a noob as far as headphones are concerned, so am I making a mistake by leaning towards IEM's instead of full-sized headphones? Which sounds better? Also, I've heard that the SA6 has a newer version that's better made. How can I tell the difference between the new and old versions by looking at a picture of them? Thank you in advance, Head-Fi is always extremely helpful.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 23
I used to own the SA6s before they sort of... fell apart. I can't speak for more recent revisions (if they're even different at all) but my early version sleeks were just ridiculously fragile. If build quality is even a remote concern for you I'd steer you far away from them. They did sound incredibly balanced and satisfying to my ears, almost to the level of the SE530s, but that doesn't compensate for the origami build quality.

In the same price range you should consider the Klipsch X10 or X5s, which have similar sound sig and are nice and small like the Sleeks. They're also far far better built based on the limited time I tried them for.

As far as "superior" sound quality, you'd have to jump up to triple driver IEMs like SE530, UM3X, Westone 3, or maybe the dynamic driver IE8s if you like your bass. Anything else will be on a par with the sleeks.

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 23
I send back my SA6 for repair for last time and had enough of the poor build.
I'm sure we have a bunch of better iems out there, not only the triple driver IEMs, but maybe only few when it comes of similar features like the replaceable treble and bass ports if thats important.
Maybe you should look at IE8. What I read, their sound should be closes to full-size of the universal type. They have a bass knob too.

About the differences of SA6.
http://www.sleek-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/sa6-v2final-resized.jpg
new version - the shiny metal piece on the house is larger and cover the nozzle where you inserting the treble port. this prevent better the housing from break easily compare to the old one.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sleek-Audio/SA6/images/exploded_view.jpg
Old version - the shiny metal piece on the house don't cover the nozzle. you see a ring placed instead placed on it.

The cable from each other is probably improved too but I'm not sure about that. Have never deal with the new version.

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 23
I liked my SA6 phones, and never had any problems with their contruction. That said, as you can see from my .sig, I certainly did move on. It really depends on what your preferences are, Tsujigiri. What are your priorities in terms of sound quality, and what types of music do you favor?

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 23
Thank you for all the replies. The IE8 seems like a big price jump over the SA6, but if it's that much better, I'll consider it. I listen to various kinds of rock, are the SA6's ok for that? I'll also take a look at the Klipsch's, they sound promising. If full-sized headphones sound better, about how much better do they sound? Would the Allessandro's sound better even though they cost half as much or so?

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by CloseToTheHedge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own the SA6s before they sort of... fell apart. I can't speak for more recent revisions (if they're even different at all) but my early version sleeks were just ridiculously fragile. If build quality is even a remote concern for you I'd steer you far away from them. They did sound incredibly balanced and satisfying to my ears, almost to the level of the SE530s, but that doesn't compensate for the origami build quality.

In the same price range you should consider the Klipsch X10 or X5s, which have similar sound sig and are nice and small like the Sleeks. They're also far far better built based on the limited time I tried them for.

As far as "superior" sound quality, you'd have to jump up to triple driver IEMs like SE530, UM3X, Westone 3, or maybe the dynamic driver IE8s if you like your bass. Anything else will be on a par with the sleeks.

I am glad you mentioned the X10s and the X5s. I've used to owned the X10s, have tried the SE530, and have the X5s. The SE530s are splendid, but the X10 and X5 can hold their own in the bass department. The X5s has a little less, but it's far more controlled.

Shure build quality is great, they have been used by a huge number of consumer and thoroughly vetted. The only downside to the 530s if you can call it one, is that they are physically larger than the Klipsch Image series, perhaps that's because they're triple-driver BAs.

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #9 of 23
The Klipsch and Sennheiser's look nice, but I'm worried about the fit. They both look like they stick out a lot; do people have problems keeping them in their ears? That's the main reason why I want to upgrade from the Altec Lansing 336/Ultimate Ears Superfi 3's: to my novice ears, they sound really good. Also, are the IE8's over the ears, or do people wear them hanging down?

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 23
If you don't have a lot of experience with IEMs and you don't mind the cost of the Sleeks, I think they're a great option. They're fairly comfortable, have decent isolation, and with the customization options, let you tweak them to your tastes a bit as necessary.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 23
Anyone know about how well the Klipsches stay in your ears and if the IE8's can be worn straight and not over the ears? I really like the SA6's, but build quality is important to me, as is fit. So I'll just pick whatever seems to have the best balance of features and detractors...

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #12 of 23
I purchased the sleek sa6's about a year ago for around $200. forewarning: DO NOT buy these for $150 from z electria (amazon), they're fakes and sleek audio will not honor the warranty etc. on these. i haven't seen them anywhere for under $200. that out of the way, i've thoroughly enjoyed the sa6's. they've been my main travel/airplane/anytime earphones for the past year and i love their fit and sound signature. I'm not as well-versed as others on head-fi as I don't have that many earphones to compare, but I will say that these are the first earphones i've had (after trying at least 6 or 7 pairs) that fit like a glove. i've worn these on 5-6 hour plane flights and only took them out to hear what the pilot was saying, which usually led me to put them back in like 2 seconds later.

i tried the ue super.fi 3's right before i got these, and the fit was so horrible that I never used them. I have tiny ear canals and was on head-fi for a few weeks before deciding that these would be the best option for me. i was looking at the westone um2's, etymotic er-4p's, shure se530's and a few others. I went with the sa6's because i liked the idea of the customized sound signature (i use the bass+ and treble+ ports) and it really does deliver. the er-4p's sounded like they wouldn't have enough bass/oomph to them from what i read on head-fi and i went with the sleeks over the shure's for price, and over the um2's for the potential customized sound signature.

I listen to mainly modern rock, some punk, some metal, some hip-hop but i don't change up the ports to suit whatever i've been listening to at the time. i find that i like the signature for the music i listen to which doesn't vary too much. i've had these for a year, and i just checked the sleek-audio site, i guess I have the "old" sa6's. I've had no problems with build-quality. none of the ports have ever fallen off and i always just wrap these around my iphone and put them in my pocket. i live in the boston/cambridge area so i use public transportation a lot and i've never had any problems with the ports of earphones falling off or anything.

I originally thought the double-flanged eartips would not work well (as they haven't in the past) but i use the small double-flanged eartips with these and they stay in securely and are extremely comfortable for stock buds. the earphones practically disappear in your ear as they are pretty tiny. there are some good pictures here on head-fi that show you how tiny they are. i did have one of the eartips fall off when i shoved them in my pocket once, but i picked up a 5-pair pack of the same exact tips for like $15 from some company in canada.

i also like the fact that the cable pulls out of the earphones pretty easily. the cable only comes out when you deliberately pull them out of the buds though, so no problems there. I've used them on several occasions when i find myself at a random concert and right next to a speaker. they've come in handy for saving my ears for ringing for a few days. i've also done this on plane flights so that i don't have to be told to "turn off my iphone" when i just want to use these as earplugs. i just unplug the cable and there are no issues. i've slept through many a flight this way
smily_headphones1.gif

i haven't gotten the w-1 wireless option yet (it came out after I bought the sa6's), but I will whenever I want to try it out. for now i like that i don't have to charge anything to listen to my music at length.

i'd search the head-fi forums for info on the other earphones you're considering, as this community has been the most invaluable resource for all my headphone/earphone purchases.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsujigiri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know about how well the Klipsches stay in your ears and if the IE8's can be worn straight and not over the ears? I really like the SA6's, but build quality is important to me, as is fit. So I'll just pick whatever seems to have the best balance of features and detractors...

I generally wear IE8 straight, build quality is fine. No idea about the the Klipsches.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #14 of 23
I really like the new SA6. I had the old one and can vouch that their construction isn't meant for portable use or exchanging of filters. The new version is much, much better. And, as long as you don't want extreme bass presence, the Sleek SA6 is a very good option; certainly at the price, and certainly for a punchy, high bass to high mid performer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back