Skullcandy Titans
Oct 12, 2009 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

gbacic

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone heard these? I was surprised to see the positive review on Headroom and was wondering if they really were any good. I need some decent, low price headphones for my iPod and if these are good then I'll pick some up.

I know other Skullcandy headphones are garbage (I've heard them), but the review from Headroom really makes me consider these.

SKL0034-skullcandy-titan-earbud-chrome.png

Oct 12, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone heard these? I was surprised to see the positive review on Headroom and was wondering if they really were any good. I need some decent, low price headphones for my iPod and if these are good then I'll pick some up.

I know other Skullcandy headphones are garbage (I've heard them), but the review from Headroom really makes me consider these.

SKL0034-skullcandy-titan-earbud-chrome.png

They should be considered if you like a LOT of bass for not so much money--especially if the source that you'll be using for those buds happens to be an iPod or other DAP which happens to be somewhat bass-shy to begin with. But some people who prefer a more balanced sound might be somewhat disappointed in these.

Also, Headroom tested some other brands and models of headphones that you'd likely find in the mass-market electronics superstores, such as Sony, Skullcandy and Monster. And of those, they officially stock only those worthy of at least a 3.5 out of 5 value rating. Surprisingly, the Sony MDR-V700DJ (a model that I don't care much for) is rated a 3.5 in their value rating (while its V500DJ sibling was given a 4), while the MDR-XB### series of earpad models were all given 4's. And quite a few Skullcandies have been rated a 4.

Oct 12, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 40
Oct 12, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
* Rubs eyes * Is that a ********* 20db bass hump?
ph34r.gif

=1333&KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=400&width=450]Click Here To Be Astonished

but I am surprised at how similar it is to Turbine
=1333&graphID[1]=1343&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]http://www.headphone.com/buildAGraph...are+Headphones

Btw, I never used Titan before. But if it's anything like Skullcandy's FMJ, than it is very bassy. FMJ is the strongest bass I've heard from any my IEMs, but it's also the muddiest.

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 40
lol i used to own a pair of titans. They broke really quickly within 1 month i say. They were however quite comfortable, i kept the tips and moved on...

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 40
I think these are the next generation of full metal jacket. Same housing, size drivers, etc. The full metal jackets are the muddiest phones I've ever heard. So much so that I get a headache listening to them. I would only recommend them as an instrument of torture!

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 40
I bought a pair of Titans today at Target for $39. I have to say that I'm impressed. And this is coming from an Ety guy. Don't expect, of course, the extension at either end of the frequency spectrum that you get from an ER-4P or ER-4S or the detail those give. However, if you need something that's easy to insert/remove, easy to carry around, and can sound immediately decent on the go without amps, equalizers, etc., these are a pretty good choice, imo.

Right now I'm listening to Fountains of Wayne straight out of my laptop with no eq. With all of my other 'phones, that would mean very little bass and pretty much no impact. These, however, have a nice bit of thump and more clarity than I'd expected. They will be replacing my Senn MX500's as my portable 'phones. They're comfy and the sound signature is not fatiguing, so they'll be great while I'm in the library studying. I wouldn't recommend them if you're in the mood for critical listening, though, if you can afford something in a different price range.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 40
Oct 15, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 40
Just to be a complete idiot, I plugged them into my MiniBox and engaged the bass boost. The result was ridiculous.

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Minimum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to be a complete idiot, I plugged them into my MiniBox and engaged the bass boost. The result was ridiculous.

How ridiculous?
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #12 of 40
I'm pretty surprised at some of the posts in here...

I got a pair of skull candy recruit/icon (same thing) and I remember I wrote a post saying they were great and yada yada.

I've seen the light since then. They were very trebly and lacked bass, and had a very harsh mid range (although I was impressed with how much mid range sound they had). But overall, a very fatiguing phone and not very organic sounding.

And then I tried some of their hesh phones. So ridiculously bassy and muddy that most of the detail in the mid to upper mid range was drowned out. A headphone only suitable for rap.

I then tried a low rider. Not THAT bad, but they were pretty much akin to the Sony MDR 150. Muddy and unbalanced.

So yeah...I've pretty much branded all skull candies as no gos.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 40
i had the titans and i advice you to stay away from them.their build quality is ridiculous the worst i have seen,terrible.the bass is explosive,very very very powerful and bloated and uncontrolled,they are very coloured phones.not worth 2$ IMHO

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How ridiculous?
tongue.gif

Monstrously ridiculous. Reminds me of the UM2's if you were to equalize them to be even more biased towards the bass than they already are.

Again, not critical listening 'phones. They are what I'd call "convenience headphones." They are easy to deal with and provide a pleasurable (though not particularly accurate) sound straight out of very underpowered sources. So far I've had no issues with build quality, but they are still very new. If they break anytime soon (a potential weak spot looks like the place where the wire goes in, we'll see), I'll come back and whine vehemently about it, but until then I give them the thumbs up.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think these are the next generation of full metal jacket. Same housing, size drivers, etc. The full metal jackets are the muddiest phones I've ever heard. So much so that I get a headache listening to them. I would only recommend them as an instrument of torture!

If they are indeed just the new FMJ, then they are a definite no-no! I owned the FMJ (notice the past tense
wink.gif
) and IMO they would not be worth considering at any price. I mean it. They are a step below the free earbuds that you get with an iPod or mp3 player. (I've compared, and the earbuds give twice the clarity, though of course at the sacrifice of most of the enormous bass of the FMJ.)

I like big bass as much as the next guy, but the Full Metal Jackets are just ridiculous! And I don't mean that in a good way. The bass overpowers everything else. Think of an in-car sound system, with ridiculously powerful woofers and sub-woofers. Now imagine this sound system at full blast, with the doors and windows sealed... and you're listening from outside the car, on the other side of the street, hearing only the muddied, window-rattling, one-note bass that manages to leak out through the car's metal chassis. Now, I'm exaggerating for effect obviously, but this is the best analogy I can come up with for how the FMJ's sound!

However, if that's what you like, then you'll probably like the Titans. At least until they spontaneously and inexplicably cease producing sound in one or both channels.

Frankly, I'm disappointed in HeadRoom's apparently self-serving shift toward the mainstream, at least as far as it brings in brands like Skullcandy. It really hurts their credibility, for me. I understand the business pressures behind the new direction, but that doesn't mean I have to endorse their sometimes bizarre recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back