Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Apr 15, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #1,231 of 1,671

It skipped 3d and went straight to 4d?

Impressive.

evil_smiley.gif

I tried explaning the 4d Gibbs phenomenon on that thread, but I was told to stop trolling 
frown.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #1,232 of 1,671
  I never really heard such $$ stuff but I keep wondering... differences are of course quite small, but HOW can one pretend to hear the ´warmth´ or call what ever you want. Must there be a first reviewer who says such a thing... and then everyone agrees that the DAP has very mild mids, though extremely precise trebles- and keeps repeating that?

That's the way of the audiophile. Get the flash mob rolling.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #1,233 of 1,671
  I tried explaning the 4d Gibbs phenomenon on that thread, but I was told to stop trolling 
frown.gif

I've had similar reaction tying to explain how basic physics relates to audio reproduction.

For example, telling people to stop worrying about digital audio per se because all energy is already quantized anyway so digital audio is only a matter of degree and not kind. Or when I point out that since the stylus in a phono cartridge and the molecules in a record have finite size it's not really a perfectly continuous "analog" wave like they think.

Most people either don't understand or just get angry.  The only person I ever convinced on the spot with that argument was my brother.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #1,234 of 1,671

I've had similar reaction tying to explain how basic physics relates to audio reproduction.

For example, telling people to stop worrying about digital audio per se because all energy is already quantized anyway so digital audio is only a matter of degree and not kind. Or when I point out that since the stylus in a phono cartridge and the molecules in a record have finite size it's not really a perfectly continuous "analog" wave like they think.

Most people either don't understand or just get angry.  The only person I ever convinced on the spot with that argument was my brother.

That's because they learned everything they know about science at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #1,235 of 1,671
Im so happy I found this thread before spending any big $ at audiophile stuff. Im really satisfied with Galaxy i9000 ($30 used, with voodoo kernel), Sansa Clip+, Have B3P1 and Sennheiser HD439. Headphone stuff only.

Any of you familiar with Superlux headphones? I read sometime something good about them. Might buy one if you recommend them too.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,236 of 1,671
  Im so happy I found this thread before spending any big $ at audiophile stuff. Im really satisfied with Galaxy i9000 ($30 used, with voodoo kernel), Sansa Clip+, Have B3P1 and Sennheiser HD439. Headphone stuff only.

Any of you familiar with Superlux headphones? I read sometime something good about them. Might buy one if you recommend them too.

HD600's are an icon in audiophile headphones, here's a deal at $239.

http://www.fatwallet.com/Adorama-coupons/sennheiser-hd600-audiophile-dynamic-stereo-headphone/2681237-3

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #1,238 of 1,671

Im more interested in the $50 range, student life's hard !
beerchug.gif
(and no I dont drink that often)
Those Superlux headphones are around $40 :)

You'll have to do your drinking at frat parties.
I've also read good things about Superlux but never listened to a pair. Make sure you match the model to what you've read about and temper your expectations.

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,239 of 1,671
Here is an example of just how harmful and reality-detached the subjectivist drivel can be, from the comments-section of a Danish tabloid .
The articles head-line translates to : "The Vinyl that refused to die"

Original Danish text :
Du har højst sandsynligt et Lortify abonnement! (og nok højst sandsynligt et freemium abonnement)
Det er 16bit 44 khz
En vinyl i dag er 24bit 96 khz

/Translated :
You most likely have a ****tyfy-subscription (and most likely a freemium-one .
That is 16 bit 44 khz .
A vinyl today is 24 bit 96 kzh ..

http://ekstrabladet.dk/musik/dkmusiknyt/vinylen-der-naegtede-at-doe/5522267#comment=7746450

It just goes on and on, a few poor schmuchs have tried to tell it like it really is and guess what ?
Vinyl has a broader soundstage, it's a fact! - And the needle-noise is "de-stressing" and adds "warmth" .

Frankly, I'd rather debate evolution with some Amish-dude than have to listen to all the subjecto-drivel ..

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,240 of 1,671
I keep laughing while reading tera thread. Wonder how it compares to Clip+, sighted and blind tested...

The tera even needs an amp! Excuse me?! $1000> and not enough? Also it plays wav only. Everyone their taste I guess.

I can only assume that thread and the product and the guy behind it is an elaborate dadaist prank.

Or - far more terrifying a thought -  have people genuinely paid up to €3360 (for such is its current price by the looks of it)?

I would love to read an objective break down of the device - does such a thing exist?

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #1,241 of 1,671
Let me clarify I first THOUGHT that is was a joke, from a funny guy and when you actually ordered one, you would get a message like "fool, this device does not exist and youve fallen in the audiophile more expensive is better black hole". BUT IT IS NOT.
Wow.

And no I could not find a review of it on a site without ads. (= subjective)

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #1,242 of 1,671

Headphones are a lot more personal than the rest of the associated audio gear so it's harder to make a recommendation.  Headphones are full of far more compromises than amps, DACs, or DAPs and given differences in anatomy between different users and the inherent unnaturalness of listening to recording mixed for stereo speakers over headphones I don't believe it's possible to even construct a theoretical model of a perfect headphone.

I've never heard them, but Tyll at Innerfidelity has measurements of the Superlux 668B and 681 along with your current Sennhesier HD439.  The most obvious difference is that the two Supeluxes have a lot more treble than you Senns which may or may not be what you're looking for.  The Senns seem kinda dark anyway so I'd say the Sperluxes are closer to neutral in that regard.  Less obvious but even more important for some people would be the sharper ringing on the square waves of the two Superluxes (especially the 668B) which often indicates driver ringing in the treble region which can be fatiguing to many people.  OTOH, the 681's frequency response compare very favorably to the electrostatic Stax SR-207s.  The 207s destroy the 681s in the distortion and noise department though.

Overall I'd guess that the 681s would be a better choice than the 668B because of a more neutral frequency response and less driver ringing in the treble region.  Picking between the 681 and the HD439 is a matter of preference though.  The 681s will have a more 'reference' sound but many people will also be fatiguing to listen to for long periods whereas the Senn isn't as neutral and might have as much detail but will probably be easier to listen to for hours on end.

In the end a lot of this is preference.  I put a lot of emphasis on possible harshness or ringing in the treble since that really bothers me and limits my headtime with a 'phone regardless of it's other virtues.  For example, I prefer the HD650 to the HD800 since the 800 has a bit of that kind of treble issue (which the 650 completely lacks) even though the 800 does everything else better.

Also to reiterate, I haven't heard the HD439, 668B, or 681 myself.  I've just outlined the kind of analysis I'd do if I were considering buying them myself and hadn't heard them.

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,243 of 1,671
Is what this website is really about - It is a business, not a place to freely discuss science of sound .
Just the fact that it's forbidden to write DBT in the thread that most needs it proves my point .
Imagine if the rule was : No mentioning or application of Ohm's Law or the Sampling Theorem in the Sound-Science thread ?
And it raises some serious questions about certain peoples integrity .

I can't say I'm opposed to the DBT-Free Zone policy. I have seen thuggish objectivists use DBT to needlessly harass people who did not deserve such harassment.

But it should work both ways. So-called "subjectivists" should not be allowed to thread-crap in Sound Science by trying to pass off their subjective experiences as objective reality without backing up any of their claims. This has been a consistent problem where DBT-Free Zones have been implemented and this is what I have problems with.

se

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #1,244 of 1,671
I never really heard such $$ stuff but I keep wondering... differences are of course quite small, but HOW can one pretend to hear the ´warmth´ or call what ever you want. Must there be a first reviewer who says such a thing... and then everyone agrees that the DAP has very mild mids, though extremely precise trebles- and keeps repeating that?

You are right about how it happens, but they probably aren't "pretending." I'm sure they believe it. Expectation bias is a powerful thing to skew sound perception.

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,245 of 1,671
You are right about how it happens, but they probably aren't "pretending." I'm sure they believe it. Expectation bias is a powerful thing to skew sound perception.

Subsequently suggestion is a powerful force over the flash mob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back