Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Nov 24, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #1,696 of 2,587
1) only used with balanced connections

2) on the arya v2 Iow gain even maxed at 5pm dial positions is just 'loud enough'. High gain is better for arya v2. But high gains changes the sound presentation and brings alot of the sound characteristics forward. Layering is better on low gain. Slam is better on high gain.
On the arya v3, 10 to 12pm dial position is more than enough sound on low gain.
Dynamics on the arya v2 is meh. Dynamics on the v3 is much better.

4) no distortions - in low gain all the way to the max on arya v2 - you will likely want more volume. High gain is very loud on the arya v2 @ 12 to 1pm dial.

5) I think the Sa1 with ares2 with no eq is adequate with bass. Bass response on the v3 is better than v2s. If you want more bass you have to add it with eq. Arya eq's very well.
The strength of the Ares 2 and Sa1 combo is the width and depth of sound stage. Separation of background instruments is also excellent with this combo.

I'm currently using Ares 2 > SA-1 and Arya v2, using XLR interconnects and a XLR balanced cable to the Arya. SA-1 is in low gain.

IMG_20211124_083224.jpg
IMG_20211124_083659__01.jpg

Listening to Lizz Wright - The Orchard (a current favorite album), the SA-1 is around 10 or 11 o'clock. That album is good sounding with a standard compression
With Diana Krall's Quite Nights from HDTracks, I have to turn the volume around 12 or 1. At around 3 or 4pm it becomes just too loud.
Actually, I listen mostly to classical music and the SA-1 in low gain serves the purpose very well.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #1,697 of 2,587
I'm currently using Ares 2 > SA-1 and Arya v2, using XLR interconnects and a XLR balanced cable to the Arya. SA-1 is in low gain.

IMG_20211124_083224.jpg IMG_20211124_083659__01.jpg

Listening to Lizz Wright - The Orchard (a current favorite album), the SA-1 is around 10 or 11 o'clock. That album is good sounding with a standard compression
With Diana Krall's Quite Nights from HDTracks, I have to turn the volume around 12 or 1. At around 3 or 4pm it becomes just too loud.
Actually, I listen mostly to classical music and the SA-1 in low gain serves the purpose very well.

This pairing is something I am looking get during Black Friday sales

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #1,698 of 2,587
Im planning to get one this black friday sale as my end game to pair with Ares2 and Arya. While i plan to run it balanced, wanted to know from you if you had any experience using the arya

1. Is there a performance drop with standard 2v dac input vs 4v bslanced input from ares2? Have you tried a single ended in and bal out config?
- I have not directly tested SE in/Bal out with Arya. I've been using Bal in/out all the time. I will be away for Thanksgiving so wont be able to test soon but will report back once I do.
2. At 2-3 pm on low gain, how are the dynamics? While i suspect it would be audibly pretty loud, the Aryas 'perform' their best with more power, esp. wrt macro dynamics and impact. How did you find the bass punch/impact on the pairing - how would you describe from slam, texture, layering perspective?
- Dynamics are great. That's the first thing I noticed when I switched from A90 to SA-1 was the bass was significantly more, defined, and textured. The BasX a-100 has more pronounced bass than SA-1 but can sound a bit bloated. I'm not a bass head so keep that in mind but I have not had any issues with dynamics. I also own HE6 V2 and Focal Elex and while it's clear that these two punch harder, I never felt the dynamics to be anemic in Arya. As for texture and layering, it's probably the best sounding bass I've ever heard. One thing I do know is that the Ares II is a smooth DAC so leading edge can sound smoothed out, lessening the perception of a punch.

3. Are u using it with high Z or low Z (not gain). Also do you listen loudly (past 90db) or hover in 80-85 db mostly?
- I stay in low Z as I dont think Hi-Z makes that big of a difference, especially with the headphones in my collection (which are mostly planars). As for the loudness, I never accurately measured it but my guess is it's closer to 80-85 db.

4. Whats the headroom like past 3 pm..i guess it pushes all the way upto 5:30 pm.. Does it distort at very high volumes/maxed out? At what point wud u say it reaches loud listening thresholds (ie will go deaf if u listen at this level for more than a few minutes)
- I never pushed it past 330pm on the Arya. 2pm is a good listening volume and 3pm is a jam session. I never tested Arya at the max volume but I probably went max to 4pm at one point and I'm pretty sure there was no distortion. I can try to test again when I return.

5. For pop, rnb, edm, does the SA1 pairing bring out the bass properly (being the hardest part to render for any amp). i have heard the Ares2 in my stereo setup wirh Ares2 vs mimby and found bass from Ares2 to be better textured and deeper in lowest octaves, while mimby had more body and bloom. With SA1, Arya, Ares2 combo, is the bass quantity/volume exciting or just rendered/check boxed? Why i ask is because i feel (ymmv) the arya (v2) need power to produce bass quantity and impact (texture and reach are good already with Arya and Ares2 combo).
- In my experience, the SA1, Arya, Ares2 combo brings very defined and clean planar bass with ample sub bass. Using a delta sigma DAC like the E30 can probably sound a bit punchier due to its "edgier" sound and BasX A-100 might provide more but bloomy mid bass. Even so, I feel Ares II does dynamic range really well so the music sounds more spaced out and textured (even the bass), especially with a revealing headphone like the Arya. - Hope this helps!

Would be super to hear your and others views on the above.
Arya, Ares2 owners - please chime in!!
I hear you. Ares II->SA-1->Arya v2 sound so good to my ears that I haven't felt the need to upgrade (yet). For context, my only other DAC is E30 and for HP amps, A90 and Emotiva BasX A-100. My answers are in line with your questions above:

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,699 of 2,587
To be honest headphones in the $1K range are the sweet spot. The law of diminishing returns hits hard and fast. If you have all the money in the world that's fine just buy whatever you want but any version of the Arya puts you in the 0.1% of music fidelity IMHO and most people don't need to be in the 0.001% by dropping $50K or $100K on additional equipment. It only gets you more joy for a short time before you grow tired of all the new equipment again. Being happy with what you have is the true master of the game...
Completely agree on that! If u have spare cash in the 1000's, by all means go for it. Satisfaction doesnt have a price tag. Anything above 1k-2k is where the law of diminshing returns comes in. Anything beyond that, ur paying for nuances and niches in performance improvements. Plus even if u enter, it typically requires an overhaul of entire chain which to me (today) seems not worth it.
Heck i even tried to upgrade the v2 to v3, reaching out to HFM. But for an additional 500 USD, id rather save that or spend it on an OTL amp down the line, for the 6xx. Even the SA1 is sort of an itch since i dont have a dedicated amp for HPs... Yet time and again, that statement of "being happy with what you have" puts me in an oscillated mental state!!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,700 of 2,587
I hear you. Ares II->SA-1->Arya v2 sound so good to my ears that I haven't felt the need to upgrade (yet). For context, my only other DAC is E30 and for HP amps, A90 and Emotiva BasX A-100. My answers are in line with your questions above:
Thanks for taking the time to reply.. this is very helpful.. Will wait to hear from you on more tests.. Btw, which version of Arya do u own, somehow i missed asking that info :)

Enjoy the thanksgiving vacay!

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #1,701 of 2,587
IZONE said:
That is the truth brother but somehow I keep going for more and more and that is also kind of a sad truth :joy: I'm listening to the Beyer-AK T1p on the Kann Alpha tonight and it sounds so heavenly I'm wondering, "wait why did I buy 14 more headphones and all these useless DACs and Amps?" So sad these wonderful headphones were discontinued so quickly. My advice is get a set up you like and then never log in to Head Fi again (I've been trying for more than a decade but I keep coming back here and keep listening to people who keep saying my gear is not good enough and I need to spend even more money). To be honest headphones in the $1K range are the sweet spot. The law of diminishing returns hits hard and fast. If you have all the money in the world that's fine just buy whatever you want but any version of the Arya puts you in the 0.1% of music fidelity IMHO and most people don't need to be in the 0.001% by dropping $50K or $100K on additional equipment. It only gets you more joy for a short time before you grow tired of all the new equipment again. Being happy with what you have is the true master of the game...

i-know-exactly-what-you-mean.jpg
ignorance-is-bliss.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #1,702 of 2,587
Thanks for taking the time to reply.. this is very helpful.. Will wait to hear from you on more tests.. Btw, which version of Arya do u own, somehow i missed asking that info :)

Enjoy the thanksgiving vacay!
It’s v2. Never heard other versions. Curious about v3 though.

Edit: also forgot to mention that I keep my SA-1 in low gain.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #1,703 of 2,587
Completely agree on that! If u have spare cash in the 1000's, by all means go for it. Satisfaction doesnt have a price tag. Anything above 1k-2k is where the law of diminshing returns comes in. Anything beyond that, ur paying for nuances and niches in performance improvements. Plus even if u enter, it typically requires an overhaul of entire chain which to me (today) seems not worth it.
Heck i even tried to upgrade the v2 to v3, reaching out to HFM. But for an additional 500 USD, id rather save that or spend it on an OTL amp down the line, for the 6xx. Even the SA1 is sort of an itch since i dont have a dedicated amp for HPs. Im currently using the HP out of a marantz discrete component high current feedback topology stereo power amp (not integrated or AVR). Everytime i give it a listen, all the terms people describe get check boxed. But knowing the HP out has an output impedance of 400 OHMS, it seems i should get a proper amp (given the low impedance can).. Yet time and again, that statement of "being happy with what you have" puts me in an oscillated mental state!!
The Arya v2 or v3 connected to a synergistic source chain is enjoyable.
It’s v2. Never heard other versions. Curious about v3 though.
You will be happy with either. Both are excellent and enjoyable headphones.

Nov 26, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #1,705 of 2,587
Got the V1 and Low Gain is the way to go like you described in soundstage. I don´t like it on high gain.

But a ray of hope, when you wrote nearly maxed out your device on low gain is the way to go for an appropriate loudness. I still think i got a doa device. Cause maxed out on low gain my Arya V1 is whispering. And High gain sounds mehhh...Also RCA is louder than XLR, what i don´t understand at all.

Seems like there isn't consensus on the powering abilities on SA1 for Arya's... And thats true even for reviewers - some say its enough (read no headroom) and some claim its more than enough... Even if its subjective, conflicting consensus on the vol. pot is putting a few people off (incl. myself) from spending 500$ on this amp...!!

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #1,706 of 2,587
Seems like there isn't consensus on the powering abilities on SA1 for Arya's... And thats true even for reviewers - some say its enough (read no headroom) and some claim its more than enough... Even if its subjective, conflicting consensus on the vol. pot is putting a few people off (incl. myself) from spending 500$ on this amp...!!

With 4V or 5V balance DAC and Arya V2 feed by XLR balance of Singxer, the headroom is plenty.

If you use 2V (or lower) DAC, and feed Arya V2 with 6.3mm single ended, the headroom is almost max.

Note: Arya V3 would be easier to drive than Arya V2.

I think this is the main reason there is no consensus. Actually same problem to any balance amp out there too. Could be most people only complain/praise their set up, without mention the detail how they use the set up.

Nov 26, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #1,708 of 2,587
With 4V or 5V balance DAC and Arya V2 feed by XLR balance of Singxer, the headroom is plenty.

If you use 2V (or lower) DAC, and feed Arya V2 with 6.3mm single ended, the headroom is almost max.

Note: Arya V3 would be easier to drive than Arya V2.

I think this is the main reason there is no consensus. Actually same problem to any balance amp out there too. Could be most people only complain/praise their set up, without mention the detail how they use the set up.
Nobody here is talking about the V1. 😅🤔

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #1,709 of 2,587
Uhh... I think there is indeed a rough consensus. That's how I based my purchases and later, the settings, on. For v2, balanced all the way with 4 (or 5) Vrms dac you can stay in low gain, though the knob may turn near to the max sometimes for quieter tracks. And almost certainly for v3 the low gain is comfortably adequate with those dac outputs.

Nov 27, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #1,710 of 2,587
Have been using the SA-1 in low gain mode with the focal Elegia in balanced mode. 1-2pm was Usually more than loud enough.

Today I got the Dan Clark Aeon 2 noire and I'm definitely closer to maximum volume if I want "loud". But that's still In low gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back