Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Nov 23, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #1,682 of 2,587
That mod looks super easy and easily reversible. I'd be interested in learning more about it

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #1,683 of 2,587
By the way, does anybody else's SA-1 behave like this?

I'm not sure if this is one of those things where it's always been like this and I just recently noticed, or if this is new behavior, but the rear power switch on my amp is always flickering. Here's a video:

The video makes it look a little worse than it is, but not by a lot. Obvious in a dark room, less obvious in a light room. The amp sounds fine, no audio issues of any sort.

In the video, the front switch is in the off position, but it flickers like this whether the front switch is on or off, headphone or preamp mode, receiving a signal or not, other devices on the same UPS powered on or not, etc. If this rear switch is on, it flickers.

I noticed this for the first time a couple weeks ago, but again, I don't know if this is new behavior or I only just recently noticed it. And again, no audio issues or functionality issues at the moment. Just curious if this is normal.

Does anybody else's do this?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #1,684 of 2,587
By the way, does anybody else's SA-1 behave like this?

I'm not sure if this is one of those things where it's always been like this and I just recently noticed, or if this is new behavior, but the rear power switch on my amp is always flickering. Here's a video:

The video makes it look a little worse than it is, but not by a lot. Obvious in a dark room, less obvious in a light room. The amp sounds fine, no audio issues of any sort.

In the video, the front switch is in the off position, but it flickers like this whether the front switch is on or off, headphone or preamp mode, receiving a signal or not, other devices on the same UPS powered on or not, etc. If this rear switch is on, it flickers.

I noticed this for the first time a couple weeks ago, but again, I don't know if this is new behavior or I only just recently noticed it. And again, no audio issues or functionality issues at the moment. Just curious if this is normal.

Does anybody else's do this?

Mine doesn't do this, although I've unplugged my SA-1 for the last few days as I'm moving all my audio stuff to a different room, just bought new dedicated desk for all my audio junk. The flickering seems to be a problem with the power outlet/power lines to your house and not the amp IMHO as I experienced something like this at a different house with other electronics that would flicker. Are you using a bad power strip or power cable? You should try a different wall outlet in your house / different power strip / cable or try plugging in the SA-1 at a friend's house and see if it still flickers. This is purely my guess and in my experience only.

Also for the SA-1 volume. Guys if you read this thread there is mention that the single-ended input has more gain to compensate for the lower 2V input. I've used the SA-1 with both my Qutest (single-ended only) and Bifrost 2 (balanced XLR), they are each 2V and also 4V as standard. I get equal volume range for both sources so it doesn't matter if you use single-ended or balanced source. Also, low gain is really low. I'm near max with most of my headphones so I switched to high gain and never looked back. On most of my headphones I'm near 11am to 2pm depending on how loud the music was mastered. I'm near 4pm to max using the Susvaras. I do listen pretty loud but not as loud as some others on Head Fi LOL

Like I mentioned before if you want something that gets super loud super fast just get the A90 and be happy. I cannot go past 1pm to 2pm even using the Susvaras as it gets crazy loud and I'm afraid it will damage/blow the drivers :sweat_smile: I know it's not great but the SA-1 running the Susvaras near max volume does sound great. It has all the great qualities of the SA-1 even near max volume IMHO / experience only. Having said that, if you are buying the SA-1 to primarily drive the Susvaras I would advise against it. The A90 does drive them better and I assume other amps will drive them even better. SA-1 is really wonderful with headphones like Arya, HD800S, LCD-X, Utopia, Empyrean, etc. etc., pretty much anything and everything other than the Susvara

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #1,685 of 2,587
Mine doesn't do this, although I've unplugged my SA-1 for the last few days as I'm moving all my audio stuff to a different room, just bought new dedicated desk for all my audio junk. The flickering seems to be a problem with the power outlet/power lines to your house and not the amp IMHO as I experienced something like this at a different house with other electronics that would flicker. Are you using a bad power strip or power cable? You should try a different wall outlet in your house / different power strip / cable or try plugging in the SA-1 at a friend's house and see if it still flickers. This is purely my guess and in my experience only.

Also for the SA-1 volume. Guys if you read this thread there is mention that the single-ended input has more gain to compensate for the lower 2V input. I've used the SA-1 with both my Qutest (single-ended only) and Bifrost 2 (balanced XLR), they are each 2V and also 4V as standard. I get equal volume range for both sources so it doesn't matter if you use single-ended or balanced source. Also, low gain is really low. I'm near max with most of my headphones so I switched to high gain and never looked back. On most of my headphones I'm near 11am to 2pm depending on how loud the music was mastered. I'm near 4pm to max using the Susvaras. I do listen pretty loud but not as loud as some others on Head Fi LOL

Like I mentioned before if you want something that gets super loud super fast just get the A90 and be happy. I cannot go past 1pm to 2pm even using the Susvaras as it gets crazy loud and I'm afraid it will damage/blow the drivers :sweat_smile: I know it's not great but the SA-1 running the Susvaras near max volume does sound great. It has all the great qualities of the SA-1 even near max volume IMHO / experience only. Having said that, if you are buying the SA-1 to primarily drive the Susvaras I would advise against it. The A90 does drive them better and I assume other amps will drive them even better. SA-1 is really wonderful with headphones like Arya, HD800S, LCD-X, Utopia, Empyrean, etc. etc., pretty much anything and everything other than the Susvara
Just adding it does sound wonderful with ZMF headphones too🙂

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #1,687 of 2,587
Fed by Ares II via balanced, SA-1 is powerful enough, even for my HE6SE V2. With the Arya, it usually stays between 2-3pm on low gain.
Im planning to get one this black friday sale as my end game to pair with Ares2 and Arya. While i plan to run it balanced, wanted to know from you if you had any experience using the arya

1. Is there a performance drop with standard 2v dac input vs 4v bslanced input from ares2? Have you tried a single ended in and bal out config?

2. At 2-3 pm on low gain, how are the dynamics? While i suspect it would be audibly pretty loud, the Aryas 'perform' their best with more power, esp. wrt macro dynamics and impact. How did you find the bass punch/impact on the pairing - how would you describe from slam, texture, layering perspective?

3. Are u using it with high Z or low Z (not gain). Also do you listen loudly (past 90db) or hover in 80-85 db mostly?

4. Whats the headroom like past 3 pm..i guess it pushes all the way upto 5:30 pm.. Does it distort at very high volumes/maxed out? At what point wud u say it reaches loud listening thresholds (ie will go deaf if u listen at this level for more than a few minutes)

5. For pop, rnb, edm, does the SA1 pairing bring out the bass properly (being the hardest part to render for any amp). i have heard the Ares2 in my stereo setup wirh Ares2 vs mimby and found bass from Ares2 to be better textured and deeper in lowest octaves, while mimby had more body and bloom. With SA1, Arya, Ares2 combo, is the bass quantity/volume exciting or just rendered/check boxed? Why i ask is because i feel (ymmv) the arya (v2) need power to produce bass quantity and impact (texture and reach are good already with Arya and Ares2 combo).

Would be super to hear your and others views on the above..

Arya, Ares2 owners - please chime in!!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #1,688 of 2,587
I upgraded to the Questyle CMA Twelve. I still own my Singxer SA-1 but is sitting on the shelf. I still use my RebelAmp, my Schiit Jotunheim 2, and my Lyr 3 quiet regularly. If you have a good pairing with your headphones, the SA-1 is excellent.
Interesting... would love to know how the lyr3 compares vs sa1 on soundstage, resolution, warmth? Iv heard Aryas are like butter with the Lyr3!! Quite tempted to look at lyr3 over Jot2 or just push more $ to the Sa1

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #1,689 of 2,587
Im planning to get one this black friday sale as my end game to pair with Ares2 and Arya. While i plan to run it balanced, wanted to know from you if you had any experience using the arya

1. Is there a performance drop with standard 2v dac input vs 4v bslanced input from ares2? Have you tried a single ended in and bal out config?

2. At 2-3 pm on low gain, how are the dynamics? While i suspect it would be audibly pretty loud, the Aryas 'perform' their best with more power, esp. wrt macro dynamics and impact. How did you find the bass punch/impact on the pairing - how would you describe from slam, texture, layering perspective?

3. Are u using it with high Z or low Z (not gain). Also do you listen loudly (past 90db) or hover in 80-85 db mostly?

4. Whats the headroom like past 3 pm..i guess it pushes all the way upto 5:30 pm.. Does it distort at very high volumes/maxed out? At what point wud u say it reaches loud listening thresholds (ie will go deaf if u listen at this level for more than a few minutes)

5. For pop, rnb, edm, does the SA1 pairing bring out the bass properly (being the hardest part to render for any amp). i have heard the Ares2 in my stereo setup wirh Ares2 vs mimby and found bass from Ares2 to be better textured and deeper in lowest octaves, while mimby had more body and bloom. With SA1, Arya, Ares2 combo, is the bass quantity/volume exciting or just rendered/check boxed? Why i ask is because i feel (ymmv) the arya (v2) need power to produce bass quantity and impact (texture and reach are good already with Arya and Ares2 combo).

Would be super to hear your and others views on the above..

Arya, Ares2 owners - please chime in!!
1) only used with balanced connections

2) on the arya v2 Iow gain even maxed at 5pm dial positions is just 'loud enough'. High gain is better for arya v2. But high gains changes the sound presentation and brings alot of the sound characteristics forward. Layering is better on low gain. Slam is better on high gain.
On the arya v3, 10 to 12pm dial position is more than enough sound on low gain.
Dynamics on the arya v2 is meh. Dynamics on the v3 is much better.

4) no distortions - in low gain all the way to the max on arya v2 - you will likely want more volume. High gain is very loud on the arya v2 @ 12 to 1pm dial.

5) I think the Sa1 with ares2 with no eq is adequate with bass. Bass response on the v3 is better than v2s. If you want more bass you have to add it with eq. Arya eq's very well.
The strength of the Ares 2 and Sa1 combo is the width and depth of sound stage. Separation of background instruments is also excellent with this combo.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #1,690 of 2,587
1) only used with balanced connections
2) on the arya v2 Iow gain even maxed at 5pm dial positions is just 'loud enough'. High gain is better for arya v2. But high gains changes the sound presentation and brings alot of the sound characteristics forward. Layering is better on low gain. Slam is better on high gain.
On the arya v3, 10 to 12pm dial position is more than enough sound on low gain.
4) no distortions - in low gain all the way to the max on arya v2 - you will likely want more volume. High gain is very loud on the arya v2 @ 12 to 1pm dial.
5) I think the Sa1 with ares2 with no eq is adequate with bass. If you want more bass you have to add it with eq. Arya eq's very well.
The strength of the Ares 2 and Sa1 combo is the width and depth of sound stage. Separation of background instruments is also excellent with this combo.
Thanks.. much appreciate the reply!! Quite right about the EQ aspect on Arya.. that definately helps.

The trade off i read here is that if one wants volume and dynamics, go high gain and sacrifice some of that soundstage and layering or stay low gain at max vol on pot and enjoy the best the SA1, Ares2 combo offers? Is that a correct understanding?

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #1,691 of 2,587
Thanks.. much appreciate the reply!! Quite right about the EQ aspect on Arya.. that definately helps.

The trade off i read here is that if one wants volume and dynamics, go high gain and sacrifice some of that soundstage and layering or stay low gain at max vol on pot and enjoy the best the SA1, Ares2 combo offers? Is that a correct understanding?
Yes.
Depends if you are getting the Arya V2 or V3.
V3 has better dynamics and bass. Easier to drive (can use low gain on SA1).
V2 has a wider Soundstage (~15 percent more). Using max dial position in low gain might not be enough volume for your liking.

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #1,692 of 2,587
Interesting... would love to know how the lyr3 compares vs sa1 on soundstage, resolution, warmth? Iv heard Aryas are like butter with the Lyr3!! Quite tempted to look at lyr3 over Jot2 or just push more $ to the Sa1
It depends on the headphones. Unfortunately, I haven't owned nor yet listened to Aryas. Jot and Lyr are good, just don't go any lower in Schiit lineup than either one of these and you will be getting decent performance at a great value. My Jotunheim 2 pairs better with more of my planar headphones than my Singxer SA-1.

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #1,693 of 2,587
Yes.
V2 has a wider Soundstage (~15 percent more). Using max dial position in low gain might not be enough volume for your liking.
Got the V1 and Low Gain is the way to go like you described in soundstage. I don´t like it on high gain.

But a ray of hope, when you wrote nearly maxed out your device on low gain is the way to go for an appropriate loudness. I still think i got a doa device. Cause maxed out on low gain my Arya V1 is whispering. And High gain sounds mehhh...Also RCA is louder than XLR, what i don´t understand at all.

I really would like to test the V2 and V3.

Having said that, if you are buying the SA-1 to primarily drive the Susvaras I would advise against it.
If i will ever own a susvara, I would never get the idea to use it permanently on an amp á la SA-1. :)

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #1,694 of 2,587
Yes.
i got a sweet deal on the Arya's new (1000 USD) for v2 version as i value soundstage and layering (also why i chose ares2 over BF2).. that 600 USD saving is what i have to now get an amp for Arya v2. v3 is fantastic/better but its 600USD more! Happy with the v2.. there is no end to more/better :p

Nov 24, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #1,695 of 2,587
i got a sweet deal on the Arya's new (1000 USD) for v2 version as i value soundstage and layering (also why i chose ares2 over BF2).. that 600 USD saving is what i have to now get an amp for Arya v2. v3 is fantastic/better but its 600USD more! Happy with the v2.. there is no end to more/better :p

That is the truth brother but somehow I keep going for more and more and that is also kind of a sad truth :joy: I'm listening to the Beyer-AK T1p on the Kann Alpha tonight and it sounds so heavenly I'm wondering, "wait why did I buy 14 more headphones and all these useless DACs and Amps?" So sad these wonderful headphones were discontinued so quickly. My advice is get a set up you like and then never log in to Head Fi again (I've been trying for more than a decade but I keep coming back here and keep listening to people who keep saying my gear is not good enough and I need to spend even more money). To be honest headphones in the $1K range are the sweet spot. The law of diminishing returns hits hard and fast. If you have all the money in the world that's fine just buy whatever you want but any version of the Arya puts you in the 0.1% of music fidelity IMHO and most people don't need to be in the 0.001% by dropping $50K or $100K on additional equipment. It only gets you more joy for a short time before you grow tired of all the new equipment again. Being happy with what you have is the true master of the game...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back