Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Oct 11, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #1,576 of 2,587
No problem.

Random pic of the gear mentioned:

IMG_0844.jpg
Is that the Loxjie D50? I've been bouncing around the idea of getting this as an upgrade from my Grace SDAC Balanced. How have you liked it?

Oct 12, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #1,579 of 2,587
I have a constant current of 42mA on the dac. Am I not allowed to put jumpers?
The master who made my headphones (snorry si-1) said that they could only be broken by a faulty amplifier or if they were connected to speaker terminals. Therefore, I made the mod despite the presence of a constant current in the DAC (42mA). The mod was made a month ago and did not come back. I enjoyed it. Later today I will remove the mod, let's see if there will be a difference

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #1,580 of 2,587
I removed the jumpers in sa-1 (returned to the factory state), then put them back, repeated twice. Without the mod, I heard a decrease in resolution and an increase in the average bass. But there is a positive point to be found in this - bad records are softened. In fact, the mod only removes the capacitors from the signal path, which, though a little, but tinge the sound. Perhaps such an influence may come to taste. I think the manufacturer also knew about this and selected capacitors in accordance with his understanding. Perhaps later I myself will return the sa-1 to factory condition, but not today.
The impact of the mod can be compared to replacing the power cable. I still think that first of all you need to change the fuse in the sa-1. The rest later.

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #1,581 of 2,587
Long time lurker here, I just received my Singxer SA-1 amp today. I wanted to ask if anyone else was having this problem with their amp. I’m using the HD800 and the listenable range is when the volume knob is between 4 to 5 o’clock. At max volume (which is about 5:30 o’clock) it is loud enough but anything below 3 o’clock the volume is too low. I set the gain settings underneath the amp, all 4 switches to high gain, it improved only a little bit. I tried different dacs at max gain setting, so I know it’s not the dac signal.

Do I have a defective unit?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #1,582 of 2,587
Long time lurker here, I just received my Singxer SA-1 amp today. I wanted to ask if anyone else was having this problem with their amp. I’m using the HD800 and the listenable range is when the volume knob is between 9 to 11 o’clock. At max volume it’s loud enough but anything below 8 o’clock the volume is too low. I set the gain settings underneath the amp, all 4 switches to high gain, it improved only a little bit. I tried different dacs at max gain setting, so I know it’s not the dac signal.

Do I have a defective unit?

Your numbers don't make sense; I think you might have them reversed? (You're really saying it's too quiet all the way up to 3, and then the listening range is between 3 and 5? The 9 is on the left [low volume] and the 3 is on the right [high volume])

In any case, I suspect you are using SE and not XLR? If you're using SE, it does make sense if you are a moderate to higher volume listener. Get a balanced cable for your HD800 and it should solve your problem. If you are already using XLR, then yes it would seem like there is a problem with the unit.

Oct 13, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #1,583 of 2,587
Your numbers don't make sense; I think you might have them reversed? (You're really saying it's too quiet all the way up to 3, and then the listening range is between 3 and 5? The 9 is on the left [low volume] and the 3 is on the right [high volume])

In any case, I suspect you are using SE and not XLR? If you're using SE, it does make sense if you are a moderate to higher volume listener. Get a balanced cable for your HD800 and it should solve your problem. If you are already using XLR, then yes it would seem like there is a problem with the unit.
Yeah, you are right. I meant the listenable range 4 to 5 o’clock.
and the volume knob maxes out at 5:30pm.

I have both SE and XLR cables, there was a small increase in volume switching over to XLR. I also tried using a balanced headphone cable and XLR from DAC to amp.

Thanks for confirming that I have a defective unit.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #1,584 of 2,587

I have both SE and XLR cables, there was a small increase in volume switching over to XLR. I also tried using a balanced headphone cable and XLR from DAC to amp.

When I first got mine I had an instance where it was like that. I just let it burn in for another day or so and I'm all good.

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #1,585 of 2,587
When I first got mine I had an instance where it was like that. I just let it burn in for another day or so and I'm all good.
Hmm, that’s very interesting. I’ll leave it on overnight and try again tomorrow.

Oct 15, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #1,586 of 2,587
I really don't know how to help you but since you're from the NL I assume you also bought it from Magnahifi? Just know that if anything goes wrong they're great guys to deal with and will do anythnig they can to help.
Thank you. Indeed the kind gentlemen from Magna Hifi sorted it out. Excellent customer service.
It looks like my SA1 went on permanent protection mode. Nothing I could have done to prevent it. Now works fine (glad i didn't do the MOD otherwise would have had to pay the repair).

Oct 15, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #1,587 of 2,587
Thank you. Indeed the kind gentlemen from Magna Hifi sorted it out. Excellent customer service.
It looks like my SA1 went on permanent protection mode. Nothing I could have done to prevent it. Now works fine (glad i didn't do the MOD otherwise would have had to pay the repair).
Maybe you can share with us regarding your permanent protection issue that you're facing so that it can help the others here who's facing the same issue. Thank you.

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #1,588 of 2,587

Same to me like you described. The device get's louder after a special period of time instantly without switching the volume knob.

@GabrielC:
How could i define that my device also is in this mode?

Thank you

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #1,589 of 2,587
I was having a look through the manual for this amp, and I saw this little bit in regards to the off/preamp/headphone switch:
Note: do not dial the mode selection switch quickly.
When I'm done listening to headphones, I'll just hit the switch straight from HPA to off. Does this bit in the manual mean that I should hang out on the Preamp setting for a few seconds before turning it off, or does it mean just that I shouldn't sit here twiddling the switch up and down constantly for fun?

Oct 15, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #1,590 of 2,587
I removed the jumpers in sa-1 (returned to the factory state), then put them back, repeated twice. Without the mod, I heard a decrease in resolution and an increase in the average bass. But there is a positive point to be found in this - bad records are softened. In fact, the mod only removes the capacitors from the signal path, which, though a little, but tinge the sound. Perhaps such an influence may come to taste. I think the manufacturer also knew about this and selected capacitors in accordance with his understanding. Perhaps later I myself will return the sa-1 to factory condition, but not today.
The impact of the mod can be compared to replacing the power cable. I still think that first of all you need to change the fuse in the sa-1. The rest later.
Which fuse do you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back