Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Sep 8, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #1,471 of 2,587
1631142238953.png

Aw heck yeah, just took delivery today. :L3000:

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,472 of 2,587
Boy, the AKG Sextetts are some thirsty headphones. I mean, that much is obvious, but even with this amp on high gain and Hi-Z, I still need to turn the volume to about 2 o'clock or 2:30 to rock. This is only single-ended, though. I've been considering doing a balanced mod on these, because if there's any headphone that would benefit from the extra juice a balanced amp can provide, it's the Sextett.

Sep 10, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #1,473 of 2,587
Boy, the AKG Sextetts are some thirsty headphones. I mean, that much is obvious, but even with this amp on high gain and Hi-Z, I still need to turn the volume to about 2 o'clock or 2:30 to rock. This is only single-ended, though. I've been considering doing a balanced mod on these, because if there's any headphone that would benefit from the extra juice a balanced amp can provide, it's the Sextett.
~ The AKG Sextett has a sensitivity of 95.7 dB/V; in comparison, the Sennheiser HD-600 has a sensitivity of 105.1 dB/V - quite a difference!
~ What are you seeking to modify? Amp or headphone? If the headphone, I doubt that the sensitivity would be increased.

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,474 of 2,587
I've been running the SA-1 using singled ended output for two weeks and I loved the sound. Yesterday, the XLR cable arrived for my Arya's and now I think I'm missing something with the sound. It's definitely punchier but It's lacking some sweetness. Is that normal? Will it be improving with time?
IMG_20210911_111257.jpg

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #1,475 of 2,587
I've been running the SA-1 using singled ended output for two weeks and I loved the sound. Yesterday, the XLR cable arrived for my Arya's and now I think I'm missing something with the sound. It's definitely punchier but It's lacking some sweetness. Is that normal? Will it be improving with time?
IMG_20210911_111257.jpg

Nice photo.

Do you use exactly same cable for SE and XLR?

Generally balance produce wider soundstage, extra clarity, also extra bass weight while removing some harmonic distortion

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #1,479 of 2,587
For abyss 1266, it is rational to use nimbus as a end game.
Rational ?
What does that mean, rational ?

I've listened to the Abyss with the XI Audio Formula S, which is supposed to be the most "competent" amp and then with a simple little SMSL SP200.

The last was 95% as good as the former...

The main difference was a better staging with the formula.

The SA-1 will certainly drive perfectly the Abyss...

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #1,480 of 2,587
I would also like to hear a Niimbus against the SA-1. I had listened to several amplifiers at a headphone fair 2 years ago, but the Niimbus was the only one that really flashed me.
In addition to the SA-1, I have had a Violectric HPA V100 for years and I know the (very small) tonal difference to the V200 / V280. That's why I didn't expect any quantum leaps from the Niimbus. The V280 sounded like I expected it to be at the show, but the Niimbus was a lot better. Much blacker background and much clearer / more resolving. Both on the same DAC, of course.
This is one of the few devices I would trust myself to do a blind test on.
But I'm also sure that the SA-1 powers the Abyss without problems

If someone in Germany has a Niimbus in Cologne or in the Ruhr area, I'll be happy to bring a few devices and headphones for comparison.

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #1,481 of 2,587
Rational ?
What does that mean, rational ?

I've listened to the Abyss with the XI Audio Formula S, which is supposed to be the most "competent" amp and then with a simple little SMSL SP200.

The last was 95% as good as the former...

The main difference was a better staging with the formula.

which dac you use?

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,484 of 2,587
We listen differently then :)

For me the upgrade from SP200 to Formuls S for Abyss 1266 Phi TC is huge and jaw dropping.
I don't think we listen differently.
I think that your definition of "huge" and "jaws dropping" in not the same as mine... :relaxed:
There are some differences, I do agree, but very thin, mainly in the soundstage.
Moreover, it also depends on the headphones. For example, when I replace the Abyss with the D8000Pro, the differences become almost inaudible (except for the sound stage...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back