Singlepower tube rolling thread
Oct 11, 2003 at 6:51 AM Post #61 of 334
Now that the set of Tung Sols I got are warming up, I don't think I'm going back to the Sylvania's. The Tung Sol is something special. I'm going to have to listen awhile before trying to pick it apart. After even brief warmup, it's the only 6SN7 I've heard that has no apparent weakness anywhere (to my ears, of course). If there's a problem area, it's going to take some time to find it.

Oct 11, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #62 of 334
Hirsch: are you using Tung Sol with Sylvania? Or all TS tubes now??

This thread is making me want to put my Sylvania VT-231s to use.

Oct 11, 2003 at 11:12 AM Post #63 of 334
Habib, Break those babies out! You could get hit by a car tonight and never hear them.

Oct 11, 2003 at 3:11 PM Post #64 of 334
Quote:

Originally posted by Habib
Hirsch: are you using Tung Sol with Sylvania? Or all TS tubes now??

This thread is making me want to put my Sylvania VT-231s to use.

Right now I'm using all TS. The output tubes have about 18 hours on them. At this point, bass is actually thinning out over what it was at 8 hours. Still early, but I'm more tempted to go back to Syl's as the output tubes. However, I'm using the R10, which requires a serious bass signal, or it can lose impact. Other headphones may sound bass-heavy with a signal that the R10 thrives on. With any other headphone, I think I'd stay all TS. But there are days to go before I actually make any kind of decision.

Get those Sylvania's in there, and get ready to hear what your amp can really do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #65 of 334
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
Habib, Break those babies out! You could get hit by a car tonight and never hear them.

Actually I almost got in an accident last night....

Burning in the VT-231s. Right off the bat, the bass is recessed but with more control. Everything sounds more refined and delicate. Soundstage is bigger too. Will report back once they are burn in.

Oct 12, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #67 of 334
Quote:

Originally posted by Carlos3
Anyone try the Shuguang 6SN7GTs? (current production)

Chinese metal base (also comes in brown base, I think)??? Blech.
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #68 of 334
I dunno...but I've been seeing some great things coming out of China lately; we should keep an open mind. $40.00/matched pair

VACUUM TUBES: ULTRA PREMIUM CRYOGENICALLY TREATED TUBES!! THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE TWEAK FOR YOUR SYSTEM
12AT7,12AU7,12AX7
5751,12BH7,6FQ7,6072,6BM8,6BQ5,EL84
6GK5,6H30Pi,6N1P,6SL7/VT229,6SN7GT 6922,E88CC,

EF86,5687, 2A3,6550, KT88, EL34,
300B,KT66,845
Cryogenic treatment is a process where a product (VACUUM TUBES)is tempered in a deep freeze process(-300F) for 48 hrs. This process produces a permanent change in the metals inside this product making it stronger and longer lasting. Tools, instruments, knives, razor blades, machinery parts have been Cryo Treated for many years.Why do this to tubes?Tubes are mostly metal inside so Cryo treating tubes has the following benefits: permanent change in the metals at the molecular level(more uniform grain structure of metals), longer lasting, tightens internal parts of the tube allowing for more efficient operation.

SONIC IMPROVEMENTS FROM "CRYO TREATED" TUBES:

LOWER NOISE FLOOR,lower distortion, extended frequency response at the extremes, greately increased resolution and transparency. You will hear information from the recording you barely, or never heard before, especially at the back of the stage! Bass response is greatly improved, treble is sweeter but more extended. Cryo treated tubes just sound much bette and more effortless than a non-treated tube!!!

http://www.tubeman.com/cat8_1.htm

Oct 12, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #69 of 334
Quote:

Originally posted by bobjew
I dunno...but I've been seeing some great things coming out of China lately; we should keep an open mind. $40.00/matched pair

My "Blech" was based on using the metal bases in the MicroZOTL and the Supra. I did use them before developing a serious dislike for their sound. With the Electro Harmonix 6SN7's in current production, there is no need to suffer.

Oct 13, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #72 of 334
IIRC the metal base and brown base are exactly the same tube (this info from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio FWIW).

Oct 14, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #73 of 334
I thought I'd post some of the top-rated NOS tubes as sampled by VTV magazine. They rate (with brief listening notes) 22 tubes in the article:

Vacuum Tube Valley Spring 1999

6SN7 top 5 tube ratings:

97/100

Sylvania 6SN7W (metal base ring, top getter, early 1940s)
Mullard CV181 (ST shaped 1952)

96/100

Raytheon 6SN7GT (brown base, 1950s)
Sylvania VT-231 (bottom getter, WWII era)

95/100

Sylvania 6SN7GT (top getter, black base early tri-plate 1950s)

Oct 14, 2003 at 12:50 PM Post #74 of 334
I've tried a NOS Mullard ECC33 1950's in the input position with Hytrons as output,good wide soundstage,reasonable bass but rather bright on top,doesn't have the soothness of the Hytrons in all three positions.

Mikhail said it was OK to use an ECC32 in the MPX3,the only problem is they cost a fortune!!

Oct 14, 2003 at 2:45 PM Post #75 of 334
My top tube set to date:

Tung Sol VT-231/6SN7GT round plates as gain tube. Sylvania VT-231's (WWII vintage) as output tubes.

The Tung Sol seems to have everything at the gain tube position. Strong extended bass, luxurious midrange, strong highs. Separation and imaging are great. Detail retrieval is superb. The Sylvania in this position does not have the bass response that the Tung Sol can summon.

The Sylvania VT-231's seem to be the best output tubes I've found, simply because they sound completely neutral in that position. They'll reflect the capability of any tube placed in the gain position, while every other output tube I've tried imposes its own signature that can sometimes obscure what the gain tube is doing.

I think I'm getting close to the end of the exercise. There are one or two other tubes I want to try, but I'm in no hurry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back