Singlepower...anyone still using?
Apr 28, 2017 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
Not really wanting to open up this can 'o worms, but am curious to see if anyone is still using their amps or if they've all been retired and buried deep in the backyard.

I have an MPX3 that I just started using again (was out of headphones for a number of years and got back into it recently). It works fine. Never been checked out. I don't think I've even cracked this one open.

I also have a Supra from many years ago. But that one got into a tussle with the local bomb squad and I think it lost. Knocked a piece of white plastic loose inside and could never figure out it's location of origin. It worked (and works still) but I took it out of commission when I got a tingle from the male end of an RCA plug that was connected to it. I've used it a time or two since then, but I'm always approaching it like I would a wild bear. Very carefully and with my eyes partially closed.

I think I was feeling a bit nostalgic (or dumb, not sure) a few days ago and did a Google search for a used Supra and came across a Supra XLR for sale. Talked to the guy (fellow head-fi'er) who told me that he had been using it for a few years without any issues. So anyways, I decided to take it off his hands. It should arrive at the office Monday. Hopefully, no bomb squad this time around.

Anyways, after I bought it I started to read up on the Supra again and saw words like, "bomb" "explosion" "electrocution" "die". I'd forgotten just how scary some of past writings were. Not the typical words one wants to be thinking about as one is supposed to be relaxing and enjoying a few tunes.

So now I'm a bit apprehensive and scared.

A part of me thinks just because something is "possible" doesn't mean "likely". A part of me want to build a concrete barricade in the corner of the living room where the amp will go.

Then I got to thinking: Can an amp send enough bad ju-ju through the headphone cable to bake my noggin'?

So this is the reason why I wanted to broach this subject and get a feel for what others have done.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back