single ended to balanced adapter?
Jul 12, 2009 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

SemiAudiophile

Headphoneus Supremus
is there such a thing for headphones? i google'd and found little information but nothing concrete. how is the performance versus having the cable re-terminated to balanced?

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there such a thing for headphones? i google'd and found little information but nothing concrete. how is the performance versus having the cable re-terminated to balanced?

This has been asked (and answered) before.
There are no SE to balanced adapters because you cannot turn SE to balanced with an adapter. This is because in SE the ground wires are shared while in balanced mode they must be separate and are used for the inverted signal.
Some phones have four wires going into the (SE) plug, those can be reterminated by removing the plug and separating the ground wires.

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has been asked (and answered) before.
There are no SE to balanced adapters because you cannot turn SE to balanced with an adapter.

Sure you can.

It's called a transformer.
atsmile.gif

k

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 19
You can have a SE connector with balanced inputs attached. It will let you listen to your balanced phones on a SE amplifier. Though it won't be truly balanced by any means.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 19
Making a single ended headphone balanced with an adapter would just be turning the 1/4" plug into XLRs, not making them balanced.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Making a single ended headphone balanced with an adapter would just be turning the 1/4" plug into XLRs, not making them balanced.

Typical dynamic headphones are already inherently "balanced."

The only distinction is whether or not they're driven from a balanced or unbalanced source.

And an unbalanced source can be made into a balanced source using transformers.

k

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...and I'm sure that a transformerless SS balanced amplifier will just love having L- and R- shorted, right?

The best option for both would be to terminate the cable in a good 4-pin connector (4-pin mini-xlr, maybe?), and have adapters made. You can use a headphone that exposes L- and R- as an SE headphone just fine, with an adapter that shorts them again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi
Typical dynamic headphones are already inherently "balanced."

No, they are not. Typical dynamic headphones share a common signal ground. Some happen to have a Y design in the cable, making things easier, but that still necessitates after-market modification of some kind, even if it's just a custom cable. For differential operation, each signal needs its own + and - (0' and 180') with matching impedance.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, they are not. Typical dynamic headphones share a common signal ground.

No, they don't.

They share a common node, but that node isn't inherently signal ground.

Certainly it will be if plugged into an unbalanced source. But if plugged into transformer coupled balanced outputs, it won't be.

balanced.jpg

There is no difference between A and B with regard to signal balance, either at the transformer end or the driver end.

Neither channel sees the other, there is no signal current that flows between channels, and the common node does nothing to unbalance either the transformer or the driver.

k

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 19
I see. If copper were cheaper, this stuff would be a lot easier, I guess.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

I see. If copper were cheaper, this stuff would be a lot easier, I guess.

Actually it's not the copper that costs so much as the nickel transformer laminations. And by a very wide margin. As my transformer manufacturer friend says, the copper's like a free gift for having bought the laminations.
atsmile.gif

But even then, a good pair of output transformers can be had for under $100.

k

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about the other way around? balanced to single-ended adapter? IIRC, another member on this forum had one.

The beautiful thing about transformers is you can have your cake and eat it too. You can have balanced output and keep your TRS plug. No having to dangle a couple of big goat testicles off your headphone cable. With the adapter, you've now got four big goat testicles dangling off your headphone cable.
atsmile.gif

k

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually it's not the copper that costs so much as the nickel transformer laminations. And by a very wide margin. As my transformer manufacturer friend says, the copper's like a free gift for having bought the laminations.
atsmile.gif

But even then, a good pair of output transformers can be had for under $100.

k

Huh. Still, $100 is quite the cost, when new plugs are only a few bucks, each. OTOH, the retail prices of recabling...ouch.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Huh. Still, $100 is quite the cost...

No, it's not exactly cheap. But then that's for a pair of premium quality transformers on substantial 80% nickel cores. You can also get a pair on similarly sized M6 (grain oriented silicon steel) cores from Edcor for about $25. And if you REALLY want to go cheap, you can get a pair on even smaller M6 cores for about $15.

Quote:

...when new plugs are only a few bucks, each. OTOH, the retail prices of recabling...ouch.

Yes, there is that.
atsmile.gif

Anyway, just pointing out that there are other options.

k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back