Simgot IEM discussion thread.
Jan 27, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #197 of 401
As a fresh change of pace, let's take a look at Simgot's updated entry to the DAC dongle space. Here are my insights on the DEW4X - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-dew4x.26983/reviews

1000040488.jpg

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #198 of 401
I received the EA500LM yesterday. Gonna play with it a while before giving impressions.

I was torn between the LM and the EM6L particularly in terms of treble performance. I went with the LM for the highly lauded driver technicalities for the price.

But the EM6L graphs look incredibly smooth in the treble. Is that smoothness really audible compared to the EA500LM?

With the apparent success of this new LM DD, I wonder if Simgot will drop an EM6LLM later this year.... That may be the one to hold out for.

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #199 of 401
I received the EA500LM yesterday. Gonna play with it a while before giving impressions.

I was torn between the LM and the EM6L particularly in terms of treble performance. I went with the LM for the highly lauded driver technicalities for the price.

But the EM6L graphs look incredibly smooth in the treble. Is that smoothness really audible compared to the EA500LM?

With the apparent success of this new LM DD, I wonder if Simgot will drop an EM6LLM later this year.... That may be the one to hold out for.
There's a new flagship in the works this year: 1 DD, 8 BA, 1 PZT. That'll be interesting, though probably expensive.

Jan 28, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #201 of 401
Jan 28, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #202 of 401
Is the balance out really lack in power for planar?
It does its job for some planar IEMs such as the S12 and Heyday. Timeless as well but have heard it better from other dongles. Barely with headphones such as Edition XS and Ananda.

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #203 of 401
I received my Simgot EA500LM today, as only with a few hours on them, I find them warmer across the frequency range than toe original OG. I love the OG EA500s but the LM version is a step upward as far as my old ears are concerned.

Attachments

• IMG_20240129_161058_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20240129_161058_Original.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240129_151102_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20240129_151102_Original.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240129_150847_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20240129_150847_Original.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240129_151002_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20240129_151002_Original.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 29, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #204 of 401
I've got a few hours on my EA500LM now.

Using the gold nozzle with Final type E Clear tips. (Waiting for my tuning foams so I can mess around with the tuning a bit more, because why not?)

But just have to say that these are ridiculous value for the price.

My current IEM collection is - Truthear Zero Red, Etys ER2XR & ER4SR & ER4XR, Final A5000, Dunu SA6 MK2 and Thieaudio Prestige LTD.

For tonality and technicalities, I really wouldn't think it's unreasonable to rank these as being somewhere in between the A5000 and SA6 MK2. Not better than the SA6 MK2 technically. The SA6 has better imaging and separation. But the LM has better bass impact and is better tuned to my taste. I need less tweaking my Mojo2 EQ on the LM than the SA6 Mk2.

I'm pretty astounded at how good the LM is for the price.

Stunning bass. Not basshead bass, just very well refined.

Need more time to assess the treble and upper mids but early impression is that they seem a very thin hair too bright for me.

Lower mids and mid bass.... No complaints at all.

Average head stage.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #205 of 401
Simgot EA500LM!!!!
EA500LM.jpeg

Frequency response with the included 3 tuning nozzles. 8 kHz is a coupler peak.
Simgot EA500LM Final.jpg

Frequency response of OG EA500 versus EA500LM. 8 kHz is a coupler peak.
Simgot EA500 versus EA500LM.jpg

This IEM has more sub-bass than the original EA500 and sounds thicker in note weight as such.

From brief listening, the Gold/red nozzle seems to have taken on board consumers feedback for those that want a bit less upper mids from the usual Simgot house sound. Still quite resolving with a thicker note weight than the base house sound.

The other 2 nozzles will suit the trebleheads and vocal lovers, with the Silver/red nozzle being kind of a midpoint compromise if you want something more analytical but not overly fatiguing.

Don't think the EA500LM beats the expensive EA1000 in technical chops, but it has quite an expansive soundstage for a sub $100 single DD with a very spacious sound. We also have a good 3 tuning options to play with to suit trebleheads to the treble-sensitive, and from brief listening, this set does most areas well, might be one of the benchmarks for a budget single DD.

So left the Simgot EA500LM burning in last night. This morning I noticed they have a lot of 'AIR' for a single dynamic. Edges of mids and highs are very precise yet no sibilance or grating, so violins have precise edges and width of notes in classical music, as in Romantic Violin favourites Takako Nishizaki on Naxos. Excellent strings separation as well. Bass has a different quality to many of my other similar priced in that bass is not there just for thump....it is a very detailed bass, yet does have impact, and seems to have it's own Simgot EA quality with a subtle little reverbish quality. Like my Oriveti OD200, you wouldn't call it 'bass-head', yet the bass clearly shows it face in every place it participates. With the dynamics plug-in, DRX10K, of Joe Bloggs, which equalises treble, mids and bass as whole's, the LM driver is in it's element. You can really stretch the bass. Those of you with the appropriate HiBy DAPs are in for a treat with the EA500LM. My ears are are old, but I find the upper-mids and treble areas have no 'grating' qualities at all, but that may be due to age.
You two puckers almost got me. :)

Saw the EA500LM now has the Amazon 2 day shipping option ( domestic, U.S.); but this would equate to a junky’s daily fix. Short term gratification and then thrown in the drawer, next to my TFZ collection, iBasso IT01, JVC HA-FD01 and other assorted contenders.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #206 of 401
Got the Simgot EA500LM and the dongle DEW4X today, another good release from them. Yes the EA500LM is an upgrade from original EA500 with richer sound, but also lack something to the EA1000. Differences is not night and day, and EA500LM is clearly the one most should aim after unless you can afford the EA1000.

Dongle testing have to wait to tomorrow :beyersmile:

Jan 30, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #209 of 401
EDIT: This has been resolved through Simgot's own direct intervention, which I am beyond grateful for. They reached out and I essentially had a live chat with the company about the issue and got opinions and invaluable info from the company and the engineers. It's solved.

Not only are the IEMs top notch, their customer service is such that as far as I'm concerned I'll just be waiting for everything they release from now on. I've never had customer service like this in audio - it's absolutely top of the line. More details about that on the next page (15).

Alright, so... I never thought in a million years I'd be posting this, much less 10 days after buying my shiny new Fermat, but... I unscrewed the nozzles today as normal to change into a different nozzle for testing, only to find a piece of metal half-attached to the bottom ring of the nozzle bearing in the body itself staring back at me.

It looked like almost cut off and hanging by a thread. Obviously something that must have shaved itself off from screwing and unscrewing the nozzles. I professionally work with extremely delicate things so I tried to take it out with a loupe and a very fine tweezer while keeping the entire IEM upside down to hopefully let it fall out, but the thing snapped and went into the diaphragm casing. It was obviously such a light piece of metal that it must have simply gone with static electricity rather than gravity, as I expected it to.

Tried very, very gently brushing around the diaphragm casing with a tiny and soft brush to try and get it to fall out or stick to it but no such luck. So it's stuck on the side of the diaphragm/its sloped metal casing, exactly under the slope that covers most of the purple diaphragm on the outwards-facing side of the IEM.

I thought maybe it'd fall out by playing music (since the DD vibrates) but the diaphragm stays put and doesn't move at all so that didn't work either.

Also tried using a manual, gentle DSLR lens air blower on the vents, that didn't work either.

For what it's worth, there's zero difference to the sound, but I'm now wondering whether this will over time scratch the diaphragm (if it does move, however imperceptibly).

I don't even know if there's a way to get in touch with Simgot. But if they were to open it up, they'd find that a small piece of metal is missing off the bottom of the rings the L nozzle screws itself into, and it's now in the diaphragm casing instead.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #210 of 401
Listening to my EA500LM in bed at 12.17am London. They sit very flat in the ear so good for wearing in bed. They sound so good. Listening to New Model Army, Justin Sullivan, kind of war rock. Simgot have the new Blon 03 here....great IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back