Silver Dragon V2
Mar 14, 2009 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nigeljames

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi have decided to do a review of the Moon Audio Silver Dragon Cable with my HD650`s. As I will be concentrating on SQ I haven`t included any pictures so please feel free to ask if required.

Construction:
Compared to the Equinox (which I am currently selling) the SD is thinner but not as flexible. Neither is awkward in use. The advantage with the SD2 is that if is not microphonic where as the Equinox is.
The Equinox is standard black color and looks very well made. The SD is black with a reddish tint which looks very nice but does not match the color of the HD650 as well IMO. The SD comes with a very heavy Furutech 1/4 plug.

Background:
I recently had my system stolen while on holiday and replaced it like for like once the insurance paid out. The only change was the upgrade from a Cyrus CD8x to Cd8se. I decided to treat myself to a AKG K701 to cheer myself up. Then my problems started!
I always knew the HD650 were not perfect and the Equinox did not change that. While it was an improvement over the stock cable the basic flaws of the phones remained (far to dark, lacking midrange clarity and detail and slightly overblown bass at times).
After hearing the AKG`s this became even more painfully obvious, so much so that I decided to purchase a silver cable in an attempt to improve on these failings. I eventually decided on the SD.

Sound:
In my system the HD650 have never sounded slow or distant even with the stock cable and I have always enjoyed them immensely especially with the Equinox. The sound was very full bodied and dynamic with a thumping bass and refined treble. I listen to rock and metal and feel the Senn`s, when properly partnered, had no problem with those genre`s.
The SD has about 80 hours on them (Drew recommends 100) and they have changed the sound in many ways. The sound now is faster, punchier, more dynamic, sharper and musical. It clearly has more detail, definition and clarity. I am hearing things that I only previously heard with the AKG`s.

Bass is more solid,faster and has more impact and drive. It just seems more focused. Bass detail is also improved. On "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen you can here the bass guitar being played and not just the sound of the guitar. With the Equinox you just heard the notes.

Midrange has better seperation of instruments allowing better clarity and detail to come through. Soundstaging also seems more distinct and accurate.

Treble is more extended, although the overall sound is still marginally dark, and has slightly better presence. Lead guitar solo`s are more expressive and emotional they were full bodied but always more laid back and restrained with the Equinox
The overall sound is slightly leaner, as to be expected I suppose from a silver cable, but is still full bodied and powerful.

I strongly feel that the SD is a much better cable that the Equinox at least to me in my system. If you love the 650`s and can`t find any significant flaws then a good copper cable is probably the way to go and the Equinox is in that catagory. If they sound dark,muddy,slow,lifeless or any of the other adjectives commonly thrown at them silver is the way to go or at the very least a hybrid cable.

Thanks for reading I hope I have been a help to people looking at replacing their Senn cable.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 4
Nice job on the review. I think you accurately describe the benefits of the SD. I have been using the SD V2 on my 650s for a couple of years now and really enjoy the combination.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 4
thanks for the review. Those flaws are exactly why I am looking for improvements right now.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by PascalT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the review. Those flaws are exactly why I am looking for improvements right now.

Then it should work well for you.Loving mine. Let me know how you get on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back