Silver dragon jack fault
Sep 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

yomomma1

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. Having a problem with the jack on my RS1's. I can only assume it is a connection problem with the cable as it loses bass until wiggled (no giggling). I am looking for some advice as to how I can rectify this or where to send to have fixed. I am actually contemplating having the cable split in half and have 1 half on the RS1's and the other half on my woodied 225's before I sell them? Any help appreciated.
Ta

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 21
Why not cut the old jack and solder a good jack? I can assure you that buying a soldering iron, a Neutrik jack and some solder is cheaper than have someone else fix it for you.

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 21
Why not cut the old jack and solder a good jack? I can assure you that buying a soldering iron, a Neutrik jack and some solder is cheaper than have someone else fix it for you.

Is it REALLY that simple? Is it a case of re-soldering many wires perfectly to connections or simply 1 or 2 wires to a point? I have had the soldering conversation with Bilavid before. I haven't soldered since I was in school! MANY many years ago. That said, I am more than willing, given the right advice. Is there a vid on here?

Cheers

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 21
I had never soldered anything in life and I made a recable happen. It's really easy if you can hold a cup of water without spilling. Just read some tutorials (tangent has some good stuff) and do it. Your cable is too good to get thrown away obviously, and it's not worth the hassle of sending it somewhere and paying for it. Besides, you might end up with a sense of accomplishment that will increase your self-estime, distancing you from a hypothetical suicide for lack of completed goals in life.

Just cut off the old jack, strip the wires, solder them to the connector's tips - you should make sure to understand which wire relates to which side, maybe by opening the old connector and seeing the color of each wire touching a certain connector tip, and then soldering them the same way in your connector. First try it on a cheap 3 or 4 conductor wire and some cheap connectors, since in your case each inch of that cable costs a bit.

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 21
1. This only happens with the RS1s? (Just trying to make sure it's not something loose in your amp)

2. Do you lose bass in one ear only? or both? (Trying to make sure it's not something loose at the earcup, not jack).

3. Only loosing bass seems odd to me - wouldn't a loose connection be intermittent for the whole signal, not just parts... (e.g. it's either a live connection, or not - tho it might crackle and such, as it does its thing).

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 21
Cheers Noobyn, will follow that guide. I also agree with you Lizard, I love the feeling of accomplishment that comes from doing it myself. I am being a bit of a wuss due to the cost of the gear. I have modded my 225's but that was easier knowing I had the RS1's.

Liam, it's not just bass that I lose, but that is the most significant loss, it affects overall sound/volume and happens in both my little dot MK SE and my Audinst MX-1. I have "wiggled" the cabling going inot the cans and nothing happens, though if I so much as touch the jack, I got the fault. Having a bit of a nightmare at the mo coz I have a fault with my LD as well (hence using the MX-1 for am as well as DAC). Though I'll get onto David at some point to figure out the fault with the LD.

Well have a cracking weekend and I'll see if I've got time over the weekend to have a go at this little project and will keep you posted.

TTFN

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #9 of 21
Right. So I have removed the jack only to see that the wires are glued in for dear life (even the heatsink is glued and covering the wires) and therefore I have no idea which wire is soldered to where! There are 2x clear wires and 2x white wires.

Any Advice?

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #10 of 21
Humm tricky, but yes. Actually what they did was good, and you should do it as well, which is covering the contacts with hot glue. Prevents oxiadtion and exposure to air.

Now, what colors wires are connected to the contact below? What I mean is, on the old jack, when you open it, there are 3 contacts (surfaces that are soldered to the wires), one on the right, one on the left and a bigger one below those. To that bigger one there are probably 2 wires connected, and I imagine that they are both equal (i.e. both clear or both white). That's the ground.

When you find out, try connecting those color wires to the same surface on the new jack (don't worry about soldering in yet). Make sure your jack is connected into some source of audio, like an iPod, and that music is playing. Then take the other 2 wires and make one of them touch one of the plugs, for example, the longer one. That' the plug for the sound on your right, so if you hear music coming from your left, you know you're connecting the left signal wire to the right connector. So when you know which wire is which, use something to mark them, like a small piece of heatshrink on the right. Then you can solder everything in. The diagram below helps (left connector is smaller than right).

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 21
Not yet able to see which cable goes where, as I cannot get through the glue! Helllllp! I will try remove more glue tomorrow. I may be just as well buying a new jack, then I would just need to know which cables go where......wouldn't I?

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 21
That's exactly the point. You do need a new jack, but you also need to know which cable goes where. You don't have to see it on the old jack, but it helps. Just try, for example, both white wires on the ground and each clear wire on a signal. If you hear something, then you have it right: both white are grounds, and the clears are signals (doesn't matter if you actually got the left/right signals right to each wire). If not, try the other way: both clear wires on the ground, each white wire on a signal.

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 21
Right, well as long as I know that I won't be blowing the drivers if they are wired incorrectly, I will order a new jack today and get back on the case when I have that and have borrowed a soldering iron and some solder! Any recommendations on jacks? I would have just gone for a neutrick but if you have any better suggestions let me know.

Cheers

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #14 of 21
If you want a solid, not huge but good-looking jack, get a Neutrik. There's really nothing wrong with them. I would suggest buying like 2 or 3, since it's not a big spend and you can always use some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back