Silly question, maybe? - Can headphones be damaged by loud volumes?
Jan 8, 2007 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Johnny5alv

New Head-Fier
Hi

Short question : Can headphones get damaged if loud music is pumped through them ... a lot?

Longer explanation:

I have a pair of 595's that I'm using on my PC. I did have them going into my speakers (which would automatically mute the speakers). With this setup the 595's suffered severe loss in sound quality.

So I have used a splitter dongle which lets me connect both the cans and the speakers directly to the sound card..However when the speakers are playing loud music, loud music is also playing through the cans.. And it's LOUD.. Vibrating loud. Everything in me tells me this can't be good for the 595's.. Should I stop?

If anyone could suggest a setup that would let me play music through the speakers and optionally the cans, I'd also appreciate it.

Thanks for any advice

Jon

Jan 8, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 6
My setup is primitive, but it works.

I listen mostly on my computer. The stereo output is linked to a splitter; this female stereo jack splits to two female stereo jacks. I use the first for my headphones, the other for desktop sound. It's kind of primitive, but I just disconnect and reconnect as needs be.

It seems you're looking for something more sophisticated. But yeah, really loud music has a potential to damage headphones, though I really can't opine about this model of Senns.

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 6
Yes, extended playing at extreme volumes can damage headphone drivers.

Why not leave the volume on the computer low and use the volume knob on the speakers themselves?

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Of, course it can damage the cans. I blew a pair of neck-band headphones once (bundled rubbish) by linking two amps, both at MAX Volume. It was fun for a few minutes, then the static came, then nothing. Then I was bored.

EDIT: I remember reading somehwere that the V6's can handle upto 3 WATTS. So I guess power amps are necessary to take to the limit!

EDIT 2: How much hassle can it be to swap plugs or just disconnect them when not in use?

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 6
I've always wanted to try this...max the gain on my CD player and max the gain on my amp (my amp gain is way to high and drives 470ohm cans to unbearable volumes by 9-oclock) and see how loud a pair of iBuds or Sony streetstyles or something cheap can go...before just exploding them.

Jan 8, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always wanted to try this...max the gain on my CD player and max the gain on my amp (my amp gain is way to high and drives 470ohm cans to unbearable volumes by 9-oclock) and see how loud a pair of iBuds or Sony streetstyles or something cheap can go...before just exploding them.

hahaha im laughing so hard... I'm imagining a pair of iBuds arcing electric beams and zapping and smoking

It was really funny... once in Cisco class my teacher plugged in an old Cisco switch and suddenly it shorted out. We took the case off and he kept plugging it in. there were some pretty big flames coming out and a lot of smoke. I can just imagine the ibuds turning into similar weapons of mass destruction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back