Sibilance in Bottlehead Crack
Sep 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NujaBlessed

100+ Head-Fier
Just recently i purchased a bottlehead crack form a head-fier and have been deprived of pure enjoyment because of a distressing sibilance present in the amp. I'm not sure what is causing it, however with the cans i've tried on the crack, all of them have sibilance present in the left driver. It would be great if anyone knew the cause of this and could enlighten me.
thanks in advance!

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 13
Try switching the tubes (put the right tubes in the corresponding left sockets) and if the sibilance changes sides, then you know its the tubes.

Are you sure the problem is the amp and not your source?  Did you try with several sources and always got sibilance on the left side?

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 13
My bad, I forgot what tubes the Crack used.  I guess it would suck to buy new tubes just to see if it was a tube.

You could always go to the Bottlehead forum and hope a builder or someone at Bottlehead can help you figure it out:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=s3do9n5shbdn17r2h5f22s4af1&board=24.0

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 13
A few things...
- check the voltages
- check the LEDs
- check the solder joints
Make sure nothing is amiss. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 13
Well it's extremely difficult to troubleshoot an amp remotely... it could be anything from a loose connector to a burnt out LED or some other component that may have been damaged or knocked loose in transport (the capacitors would be the most likely culprit in that case).

Can you describe this "sibilance"? Is it a high frequency hiss, how loud is it, is it more like white noise, or a low hum, etc...

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 13
How long are you letting it warm up? I let my Crack warm up ten minutes before listening.

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 13
How long are you letting it warm up? I let my Crack warm up ten minutes before listening.

30 seconds for my Crack :p

poody can you make a high res photo of underneath of the amp?

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 13
i will definitely take one now, and as for the warmup, warming up an amp will not fix jack **** lol... as soon as the tubes have enough power, the sibilance starts, i think at the base of this it's still the tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back