Shure vs Ety's?
Aug 3, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #91 of 98
Like other I will say be sensible right now at look at the S2, or eww even the S4. S4 not really to my liking cause is marginally better sonically than the S2, but looks uglier and cost $25 more.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #92 of 98
Haven't heard the X5. Maybe you ought to apply your $25 to the ER-4p's -- they'd be only $40 more than the RE0's, they have a long track record of satisfaction from members here, the Shure olives fit them and from what I understand (i.e., I haven't heard them myself) they definitely fit the sound profile you're looking for.

The 6i's are a better value at $50 than $75, but for me either way they'd ultimately be disappointing and thus unsatisfactory. I'd say the RE0s are worth the extra $50 too.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #94 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is newer better the ER4p or s model. What about the HF5 for $75 after coupon? Isn't that suppose to be better than the ER6i but a little worse than the ER4?

The Er4S is not necessarily newer than the P. It just has extra impedance (+75 Ohms (?) IIRC). This impedance reportedly tightens up the sound and pushes the Er4S up another tier over the 4P. Etymotic will sell you a (P->S) cable for ~$50 that will add the extra impedance. You can also get an impedance adapter to turn your P into an S on ebay for <$20, which is admittedly less convenient than a cable but a lot cheaper.

Also, IIRC the Etymotic line goes HF2<ER6<HF5<ER4, but the HF line has been said to have a different sound sig than the ER line.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #96 of 98
Re the HF5's -- I haven't heard them but from what I've read here they're closer to the 4p's than the 6i's in SQ. Do a search of this forum for HF5 and you'll find an number of threads that should give you some info. Might be worth a look at the Ety website to see how they describe the difference too. Based on what I've read, the HF5's for $75 would be a very good deal.

Re the 4P vs S -- the S will have to be amped to sound good, but when properly amped sound slightly better than the P's. The P's can be driven by most portable players w/o amping.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #98 of 98
Alight I am pretty much set on the HF5, as I read a couple of reviews and I think I am sold on them. They are suppose to better than the Er6i but not necessarily worse/step down than the Er4, while still giving more comfort than both. And a its a fair price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back