Shure SRH840 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Shure SRH750dj
Jul 23, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
the 750dj indeed has the poorest build quality, but the most well rounded and fun sound.  I'd take the 750dj over the 840 or m50 for music purposes any day.  However, I'd take the 840 for sound editing or monitoring ( DESPITE THE INSANELY POOR COMFORT LEVELS ) over pretty much any set sub $500 that I can think of.  I was never a fan of the m50 and never understood why it was so popular :\ 

The 750dj is fun, engaging, well rounded and just a pleasure to listen to despite some comfort and build issues.  I wish shure would hire me to design their next set so head fi'ers can actually be happy with their designs for once.

i don't understand why you think the srh840 is uncomfortable. it's among the most comfortable headphones i have ever worn.

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #17 of 24
Seems to be a love/hate thing.  Some people love the comfort, some people can't stand them.  I can wear the 840's for hours - I find them extremely comfortable.  Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  Great sound signature, great price, very comfortable 
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #18 of 24
i don't find them uncomfortable at all either.  much better than the m50 imo.  i can wear them pretty much indefinately
but compared to beyerdynamics they are a bit heavy. 
i think the comfort issues on the shures is dependant on the shape of your head or something.  the headband is so thick and heavy it may put force or pressure on the top of the head.

i do like the 840s ear pads for that style.  the memory foam or whatever is in them gives a nice seal and they are pretty big.  but still pale in comparison to the overall comfort and just sheer pleasure from my beyer's velour pads

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
i don't understand why you think the srh840 is uncomfortable. it's among the most comfortable headphones i have ever worn.

The Shure 840 puts 100% of the weight of the headphones right on the very middle and top portion of your head.  It does not conform to your head and puts pressure on the most sensitive part of your head with bare minimum padding, the padding strip is paper thin and it also makes you look like a radar dish.  How do you consider this comfortable in comparison to a soft conforming headband with lots of padding?  In the nicest way possible, i think you guys are nuts for thinking its comfortable.  The AD700 is comfortable...the 840 is just abysmal...but it sounds great! :p  

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
The Shure 840 puts 100% of the weight of the headphones right on the very middle and top portion of your head.  It does not conform to your head and puts pressure on the most sensitive part of your head with bare minimum padding, the padding strip is paper thin and it also makes you look like a radar dish.  How do you consider this comfortable in comparison to a soft conforming headband with lots of padding?  In the nicest way possible, i think you guys are nuts for thinking its comfortable.  The AD700 is comfortable...the 840 is just abysmal...but it sounds great! :p  

everyone has different dimensions. it conforms to my head better.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
The Shure 840 puts 100% of the weight of the headphones right on the very middle and top portion of my head.  It does not conform to my head and puts pressure on the most sensitive part of my head with bare minimum padding, IMO the padding strip is paper thin and it also makes you look like a radar dish.  How do you consider this comfortable in comparison to a soft conforming headband with lots of padding?  In the nicest way possible, i think you guys are nuts for thinking its comfortable.  The AD700 is comfortable...IMO the 840 is just abysmal...but it sounds great! :p  

Corrected it for you 
wink.gif

BTW - the padding strip is thicker than "paper thin".  It's not Sennehiser or Beyer thick - but for quite a few of us it's really comfortable.  I guess that's where we're lucky - because you're right, they do sound fantastic.  I'm just sorry you can't enjoy them because of the fit.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #22 of 24
But see thats what I do not understand, nobodies head is shaped like a rounded rectangle and I bet my life that if you snap a picture of yourself with them on, you will be able to see how badly it conforms to your head, there are gaps on the side of your head, likely big enough for you to stick your entire hand right through, If that exists, then the headband does not conform to your head now does it?

it doesnt, the only part of your head it comforts to is the very top side, it places 100% of the weight right on the most sensitive part of your head...this is a mystery to me...i just dont see how anyone can call that comfortable.  Im outspoken about it because I loved the 840 so **** much but it was so poorly designed that I just couldnt use it.  It made me very sad.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
But see thats what I do not understand, nobodies head is shaped like a rounded rectangle and I bet my life that if you snap a picture of yourself with them on, you will be able to see how badly it conforms to your head, there are gaps on the side of your head, likely big enough for you to stick your entire hand right through, If that exists, then the headband does not conform to your head now does it?

it doesnt, the only part of your head it comforts to is the very top side, it places 100% of the weight right on the most sensitive part of your head...this is a mystery to me...i just dont see how anyone can call that comfortable.  Im outspoken about it because I loved the 840 so **** much but it was so poorly designed that I just couldnt use it.  It made me very sad.

do you have hair by any chance? if your bald i can see it being uncomfortable but hair works as padding itself, and i have a decent amount of hair.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
But see thats what I do not understand, nobodies head is shaped like a rounded rectangle

Believe it or not, my head is actually shaped like that (well, not exactly "rounded rectangled", but close). Maybe that's why I find them so comfortable.
biggrin.gif

The bottom line is, it really depends on the shape/size of your head. Just remember, not everyone has your shape of head. Don't act so surprised that there actually exsits people (albeit not many) that find SRH840 very comfortable.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back