Shure SRH440A Hardly any information available online
Jan 10, 2022 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering if anyone here has tried or compared the old shure 440 against the new srh440A. The specs are slightly different and the construction looks more robust on the new one.

I ordered a pair and they should be arriving soon. I hope I get the new one since the listing was for the 440A even though the pics are for the outdated old ones.

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 8
I'll be shocked if the measured performance is a vast improvement over the original 440. They did make some nice design changes to the cabling etc to ensure more reliability. These headphones have been tuned this way for so long and the pads so cheaply made that it would be a miracle if they are actually measurably better than the OG 550. If anything, due to supply chain issues, the materials may actually be cheaper and less reliable.

Time and measurements will tell.

You could send them to ASR for measurement if you are interested in that?

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 8
I own a pair of SRH840A since 2 days and I like them a lot.
I guess the big change is not in sound, but the comfort, weight and build quality.
Seems there was many issues with broken clamps on the older model.

Its kinda funny that there isnt much on the www about the new series, not even on the Shure website :)
I was lucky to find them, when they came into the store.

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 8
I own a pair of SRH840A since 2 days and I like them a lot.
I guess the big change is not in sound, but the comfort, weight and build quality.
Seems there was many issues with broken clamps on the older model.

Its kinda funny that there isnt much on the www about the new series, not even on the Shure website :)
I was lucky to find them, when they came into the store.
Would you mind measuring the diameter of driver housing on 840As? It might be worth it to purchase 840A headband when the one on 840 inevitably fails. Of course, this would only be possible if the diameters are same (they seem to be).

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 8
Would you mind measuring the diameter of driver housing on 840As? It might be worth it to purchase 840A headband when the one on 840 inevitably fails. Of course, this would only be possible if the diameters are same (they seem to be).
Im not completely sure what measurement you need.
Is this helpful?

PXL_20220114_101813227.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #8 of 8
The new design looks like everything I wanted out of the old. The new headband definitely looks like an improvement in comfort.
I really dig both the old 440 and 840 with perhaps a slight advantage to the former on account of it’s more evenhanded bass..that still gives a good kick mind you.
I think (and hope) the new ones sound like the old ones. They are certainly better looking headphones and judging purely by the pics I’ve seen of the new headband, probably way more comfortable for my head:)
The 440 could genuinely be a contender against the K371 - especially considering the fact that AKG doesn’t sell spare pads for the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back