Shure SRH440 vs Koss DJ100 vs JVC 500
Mar 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Knockout

New Head-Fier
I am planning to buy a new headphone a new headphones and the following are my final list.

Shure SRH 440
Koss DJ100
JVCS500

Did my entire research on Shure SRH440 but now I back to square one when got my attention on the other two head phones.

Please share your suggestion.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 8
The Shures and Koss are more neutral, and the S500 is more U-shaped in its sound signature. If you want more neutral, the S400 would be a better choice to look at. If you're looking for fun, then the S500's would fit your needs.

One thing that pushed me to get the DJ100's as my beater cans is that it's very durable in the way it's made and the materials used (the headband seems to be padded sheetmetal and the cups are aluminum). Also, Koss has a lifetime warranty. I haven't heard of a lot of durability issues with the JVC ones, but Shures tend to crack and fall apart.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 8
had my 440's for over two years as portable headphones that get thrown in my bag.  no problems.  I think the issues with the breakage were with the 940s.  The 440s in my opinion are a overlooked and under rated headphone.  to my ears they are fairly neutral.  I use them mainly with jazz and blues.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
The Shures and Koss are more neutral, and the S500 is more U-shaped in its sound signature. If you want more neutral, the S400 would be a better choice to look at. If you're looking for fun, then the S500's would fit your needs.

One thing that pushed me to get the DJ100's as my beater cans is that it's very durable in the way it's made and the materials used (the headband seems to be padded sheetmetal and the cups are aluminum). Also, Koss has a lifetime warranty. I haven't heard of a lot of durability issues with the JVC ones, but Shures tend to crack and fall apart.

DJ100s are tempting but can you shed some light on how the soundstage is set for them compared to the Shure SRH440.

Any suggestions on the preferable place to buy when it comes to the price?

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 8
I do not have an amp so from what I have read DJ100 is not that great without an amp. Please advice if SHURE SRH440 would be a better choice with the no amp condition. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 8
with regards to the need for an amp it is somewhat a matter of source and taste.  I use mine as semi portable.  coffee shop, library etc.  My source is an ipod.  For my taste, I prefer an amp.  The fiil e 11 with a line out works very well.  It's not about volume.  the ipod can power them.  It's about clarity and getting most out of the headphones.  Many I am sure would disagree.

To put this in perspective however, I think headphones such as the M50, DT770s etc all benefit greatly by using a line out and portable amp.   I'm not sure how many of the people who disagree have actually tried the headphones with an amp.  I suspect many have not.  However only you will be able to decide on the value of the amp.     

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
DJ100s are tempting but can you shed some light on how the soundstage is set for them compared to the Shure SRH440.

Any suggestions on the preferable place to buy when it comes to the price?

Unfortunately I haven't heard the 440's so I can't comment on that. I don't think there are DJ100 fakes out there, or that Koss is strict about authorized dealers, so it shouldn't matter where you get them from if you go that route. Some members have reported that they were able to find the TBSE (a special edition of the DJ100 with a removable cord and stuff) at Tuesday Morning stores for $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back