Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
May 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #2,011 of 2,283
Have any of you done any headband mods? I love that the 1840 can be run well off an ipod but my dome is not loving the headband. I almost wonder if you could use a pilot pad, like the ZMF T50RP mod does, but I think it would be too bulky. I wish that it had the foam headband like the HD600.

May 19, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #2,012 of 2,283
I agree Isaiah - the headphone pads are actually soft enough - they are just too narrow.  If it was more comfortable - I'd honestly probably sell my HD600 and repurchase them.

May 20, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #2,013 of 2,283
  Have any of you done any headband mods? I love that the 1840 can be run well off an ipod but my dome is not loving the headband. I almost wonder if you could use a pilot pad, like the ZMF T50RP mod does, but I think it would be too bulky. I wish that it had the foam headband like the HD600.

I put a on a wrap-around type pad that someone somewhere recommended, and now it is really comfortable (rather than unbearable.) Ugly, but it works.

May 20, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #2,014 of 2,283
Has anyone tried other headband coverings? Maybe some one has a Beyer Custom Pro, Senn HD280 or a DT770 cushion, though the Custom Pro I think would take require taking off the cup. Or does anyone have a Grado headphone around that they could measure the width of the band so I could compare it with the 1840 band? There are lots of mods out there to make Grados more comfortable.

Or maybe I was thinking like one of these: 

http://goodcans.com/HeadphoneStore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=198

http://www.amazon.com/Telex-Headband-Stratus-50-D-Headsets/dp/B0049C5KVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400621492&sr=8-1&keywords=Telex+Headband+Pad+for+Stratus+50-D%2C+Stratus+30XT%2C+ANR+4105+Headsets+-+800456-017

May 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #2,015 of 2,283
The Beyer snap on one doesn't fit.  I honestly think you'd be better off getting some soft leather (Lamb skin) and making one to fit.

Grado ones would be too narrow.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2,016 of 2,283
  Hey all! I'm interested in the SRH1840. For those who've heard both the HD600 and SRH1840, do you think the SRH1840 is better or just different? I'd be listening to a ton of classical strings. I can get the 1840 for around $400 new so am really tempted. (I've read the references to HD600 on the thread and there is a lot of "At 700...the SRH1840 is not worth it compared to the HD600" but what about at $400?)

Definelty the 1840s , I liked them alot for vocals and reference then i did the HD650/600

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #2,017 of 2,283
I do not know if there is a more recent discussion thread for the 1840s than this one, so I apologize if posted in the wrong one. Currently, prices for used 1840's on Amazon are hovering around 275. I'm really thinking of purchasing a pair. I currently have a pair of DT 880s and Mad Dog Pro 3.2's and am using the Schiit M stack connected to my PC. A couple of questions for those of you who have heard some of these:

1. I'm curious about how the 1840s compare with the DT 880, Mad Dog Pro and HD 580. Those are three headphones I've listened to quite extensively and know their relative sound signature. I know there were a couple of comparisons made over the last few pages, but I was wondering if any of these thoughts have changed over the last 6 months.

2. (This is a more general question and I do not know where best to ask it): Anyone know how Amazon Warehouse Deals determines if something is good vs very good vs like new? I'm just wondering what 'possible cosmetic imperfection' refers to in these regards.

3. How do the 1840s fare when it comes to other media such as gaming/movies etc.? Currently, I really enjoy watching movies with my DT 880s due to its comfort and its general airy-ness of their design.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #2,018 of 2,283
These higher end headphones are a matter of taste for sure, and comfort. I compared the 1840 to the Sennheiser 650 (owned them both). Shure was more open in the upper midrange/treble. Sennheiser darker. But the Sennheiser headband gripped my head like a vice and was cutting off the blood supply to my scalp. My head is large (no comments please) so this may have contributed to the problem. But anyhow I sold the Sennheiser and kept the Shure as a result. Been using them for the past couple of years without complaint.

If you have the DT880s I'm wondering if you would hear enough difference to make it worth your while? The comfort would be comparable to the Shures. May be a sideways move.

I would consider a better DAC and headphone amp (like a little dot mkV or IV) instead.

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #2,019 of 2,283
  I do not know if there is a more recent discussion thread for the 1840s than this one, so I apologize if posted in the wrong one. Currently, prices for used 1840's on Amazon are hovering around 275. I'm really thinking of purchasing a pair. I currently have a pair of DT 880s and Mad Dog Pro 3.2's and am using the Schiit M stack connected to my PC. A couple of questions for those of you who have heard some of these:

1. I'm curious about how the 1840s compare with the DT 880, Mad Dog Pro and HD 580. Those are three headphones I've listened to quite extensively and know their relative sound signature. I know there were a couple of comparisons made over the last few pages, but I was wondering if any of these thoughts have changed over the last 6 months.

3. How do the 1840s fare when it comes to other media such as gaming/movies etc.? Currently, I really enjoy watching movies with my DT 880s due to its comfort and its general airy-ness of their design.

I've owned the 1840's, DT880 (3 times) and HD600 (3 times) - so might be able to help.

The DT880 is brighter in the top end.  The headphone closest in signature to the 1840 would be an HD600 (eg your HD580).  The 1840 is quite flat, similar tonality, no mid-bass hump, and brighter and airier in the top end.  It is also slightly more open, and IMO images slightly better than the Senns.

They are pretty good with gaming (plenty of detail), but not as imersive sometimes for movies (the bass can be a little too flat - nicely extended though).  If you enjoy the DT880 for movies though, you should be fine.

Quite a contrast between your Mad-dog and other 2 cans though.  I found the Mad-dog very dark - so it didn't last long in my stable.

The other thing you could do is simply sell the DT880 (and Mad-Dog) and with those funds + what you would have spent on the 1840, get a used T1.  Here's my take on the DT880 Vs T1.  Gives you another option anyway ....
http://www.head-fi.org/t/727739/comparison-review-beyerdynamic-s-siblings-the-classic-dt880-vs-the-flagship-t1

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #2,020 of 2,283
  The other thing you could do is simply sell the DT880 (and Mad-Dog) and with those funds + what you would have spent on the 1840, get a used T1.  Here's my take on the DT880 Vs T1.  Gives you another option anyway ....
http://www.head-fi.org/t/727739/comparison-review-beyerdynamic-s-siblings-the-classic-dt880-vs-the-flagship-t1

I have read through your take on the T1. While I am very interested, I am not quite willing to part with the Mad Dogs just yet. I can sell some stuff along with the DT 880s and have a budget of about $450. What would you suggest as a viable upgrade then? I have heard that the T90 isn't the best option. What I enjoy about the Mad Dogs is how engaging they are. They may be dark to some, but I do not feel that way. Their treble is not quite weak enough to where I would call them dark.  Maybe that could be because my only real experience with closed headphones comes from the SRH 840 which had a much stronger bass presence.

Originally posted by jkorten

These higher end headphones are a matter of taste for sure, and comfort. I compared the 1840 to the Sennheiser 650 (owned them both). Shure was more open in the upper midrange/treble. Sennheiser darker. But the Sennheiser headband gripped my head like a vice and was cutting off the blood supply to my scalp. My head is large (no comments please) so this may have contributed to the problem. But anyhow I sold the Sennheiser and kept the Shure as a result. Been using them for the past couple of years without complaint.

If you have the DT880s I'm wondering if you would hear enough difference to make it worth your while? The comfort would be comparable to the Shures. May be a sideways move.

I would consider a better DAC and headphone amp (like a little dot mkV or IV) instead.

You make an interesting point about the DT 880s being sufficient and that the SRH 1840s may be a sideways move. What would you suggest as an upgrade then, with a budget of around $450?

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #2,021 of 2,283
  I have read through your take on the T1. While I am very interested, I am not quite willing to part with the Mad Dogs just yet. I can sell some stuff along with the DT 880s and have a budget of about $450. What would you suggest as a viable upgrade then? I have heard that the T90 isn't the best option. What I enjoy about the Mad Dogs is how engaging they are. They may be dark to some, but I do not feel that way. Their treble is not quite weak enough to where I would call them dark.  Maybe that could be because my only real experience with closed headphones comes from the SRH 840 which had a much stronger bass presence.

Thanks for the explanation.

In that case - I'd actually suggest saving your money for the time being.  The HD580/600 and DT880 were former flagships for a reason.  I can't think of too many headphones that are going to give a worthwhile lift in SQ - unless you're moving toward a T1 / HE560 etc level.  At around the USD700 level for used though, they may be tempting in the longer term ..... 

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #2,022 of 2,283

Thanks for the explanation.

In that case - I'd actually suggest saving your money for the time being.  The HD580/600 and DT880 were former flagships for a reason.  I can't think of too many headphones that are going to give a worthwhile lift in SQ - unless you're moving toward a T1 / HE560 etc level.  At around the USD700 level for used though, they may be tempting in the longer term ..... 

It's interesting that you mention the HE 560. I have been reading a lot about them and the HE 400i lately. Have you tried them? I would love to read a writeup from you about them versus the T1/HD 800/HD 600.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #2,023 of 2,283

It's interesting that you mention the HE 560. I have been reading a lot about them and the HE 400i lately. Have you tried them? I would love to read a writeup from you about them versus the T1/HD 800/HD 600.

Sadly - no.  I'd love to though.

Unfortunately I'm from a small city (around 50,000 population) at the very bottom of NZ.  We don't have a great deal of audio selection down here, and there is nowhere to audition.  I'd love it if Audeze or Hifiman had a review programme that reached this far - but reality is that I'll have to rely on future Meets - or generosity of other Head-Fiers with loans for reviews.

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #2,024 of 2,283
It wouldn't make any sense to buy a Sennheiser HD600 if someone already has a Shure SRH 1840? 

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,025 of 2,283
It wouldn't make any sense to buy a Sennheiser HD600 if someone already has a Shure SRH 1840? 

In my personal opinion, I'd say no. The two sound quite similar. The 1840 is a little brighter, and the HD600 has more mid bass - but tonally they are very similar. The Shure would be slightly ahead on imaging. The Senn sounds a little more natural / true to life.

Also the HD600 is more comfortable for me. I found the two ridges on the 1840 headband to sometimes become uncomfortable after a few hours.

If I was ever rebuying though and found both at similar pricing, I'd probably go with the Shure. But given current pricing, the Senn is my choice every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back