Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Jan 11, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #631 of 2,283
Shure's US website says Winter 2012 for release.  I was hoping they would release soon to compete with the release of the HD700.  HD700 using duofoil 40mm drivers for $1000 puts me off completely.  So I'm either gunning for a HD600 or the 1840.  Winter, that's a really long wait considering diagrams and construction of the 1840s already been released.  Hopefully Shure will change the release date to something sooner.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #632 of 2,283

Quote:
Shure's US website says Winter 2012 for release.  I was hoping they would release soon to compete with the release of the HD700.  HD700 using duofoil 40mm drivers for $1000 puts me off completely.  So I'm either gunning for a HD600 or the 1840.  Winter, that's a really long wait considering diagrams and construction of the 1840s already been released.  Hopefully Shure will change the release date to something sooner.

It's winter right now.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #633 of 2,283

Quote:

Just a few weeks away Dude.......

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #634 of 2,283

Quote:

Actually, the HD650 has a good price in USA, the HD600 at 295£ in UK (357 euros) is not the best. (250-260€ in France actually)

My second pair of HD650 has been bought 255 euros and HD600 was at 199 euros. Its never the same price of course, but generally, you can have sennheiser for much less than in USA.

My T1 (before i sell it) was bought at 750 euros, my HD800 has been bought at 969 euros.

In Spain you can get the HD800 new for as little as 719€ ($915). I wonder how much the HD700 will cost. Being Shure more expensive here than in the US I imagine that the 1840 will have to compete in the same price category with the top of the line Senns.

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #636 of 2,283

Quote:
Well he said he'd post something about the SRH1840 before he leaves for CES, while not saying any such thing about the HD700. Meanwhile, he's now at CES, and we have a review of the HD700 yet nothing about the SRH1840. Also he said the HD700 was his most listened-to headphone lately. So I think it's safe to say the HD700 likely his favorite. Unless he's holding out because he has something very surprising to say about the SRH1840s. Ultimately we won't know until we hear more about them.

Honestly though I was/am really hoping the SRH1840 would destroy the HD700/HD800, mostly because it's disgusting IMO how hifi audio products are priced nowadays. $1000 for an HD700... $1500 for an HD800... and everyone knows they don't cost even a tiny fraction of that to manufacture. It seems the trend in hifi audio is simply to increase prices exponentially over time and never stop. 

Quite frankly the HD800 has become almost like Dr Dre Beats for middle class old men. It's absurdly overpriced. Everyone knows it. However it's an over priced product that happens to be among the best, which is why they get away with the pricing. You can pay $30,000 for HE-90s with arguably not even that much improvement over other headphones, yet people get away with it simply because there's nothing better. I say this price inflation is just about as bad as the Beats overpriced phenomenon.

But again, for those who want the best audio, there's not much that can be done because it's a monopoly of the flagships. So I still do hope that Shure or some company comes along and offers some serious price/performance competition in the arena of the flagships performance, and forces companies like Sennheiser to cut the stupid price of HD800s down to something more realistic and/or morally priced.

Wow....it gives me the impression that you really hate Sennheiser and really love Shure. Such bias!!

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #637 of 2,283
Sennheiser is over priced ? Take a look at Stax :wink:
And Sennheiser has a perfect build quality and will not fall apart like some Hifiman headphones (you can find a lot of discussions about there moderate build quality).

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #638 of 2,283
I wonder why we still haven't heard anything about these yet.

Wow....it gives me the impression that you really hate Sennheiser and really love Shure. Such bias!!

I like both. I simply dislike the general trend in head-fi of selling the highest end headphones for absurdly inflated prices for no other reason than that they can get away with it because there's no competition. It's like a price-fixing cartel of sorts among the top headphone brands.

I'm simply hoping that Shure continues to break that tradition of milking audiophiles for every penny they can get.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #640 of 2,283

Quote:
I wonder why we still haven't heard anything about these yet.

I like both. I simply dislike the general trend in head-fi of selling the highest end headphones for absurdly inflated prices for no other reason than that they can get away with it because there's no competition. It's like a price-fixing cartel of sorts among the top headphone brands.

I'm simply hoping that Shure continues to break that tradition of milking audiophiles for every penny they can get.

Well, the point is high-end means high-end the very best.  To complain about hifi pricing is to not understand the high-end market.  High-end has never been cheap and that has always been the case with pretty much anything.  The great thing looking at audio today, is that there are many excellent sounding and affordable options for almost any budget.  So, to me the issue of price is not really a big deal.  If someone can afford that Ferrari, then more power to them.  I'll take my Mustang thank you very much.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #641 of 2,283
And you think that was not the case (or at least a begin) with the srh940 ?

In the sense that the $200 SRH940 is more enjoyable to me than my Sennheiser HD650s on some music, and is considerably more detailed in upper mids and highs -- yes I think the SRH940 is not at all overpriced.

If someone can afford that Ferrari, then more power to them.  I'll take my Mustang thank you very much.

Or you could buy a Corvette ZR1 which is considerably faster and quicker than most Ferrari models costing vastly more, as far as track times can confirm. The point is there's nothing stopping headphones like the HD800 for selling for $500 or so. We are seeing companies like Hifiman emerging as serious competition performance-wise, similar to how a Corvette can destroy a Ferrari on the track while costing a tiny fraction as much. Still people will buy HD800s, and still people will buy Ferraris -- however when legitimate competition exists, that choice becomes one of a fashion statement or a display of economic class more so than anything else.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #642 of 2,283

Quote:

If someone can afford that Ferrari, then more power to them.  I'll take my Mustang thank you very much.

Or you could buy a Corvette ZR1 which is considerably faster and quicker than most Ferrari models costing vastly more, as far as track times can confirm. The point is there's nothing stopping headphones like the HD800 for selling for $500 or so. We are seeing companies like Hifiman emerging as serious competition performance-wise, similar to how a Corvette can destroy a Ferrari on the track while costing a tiny fraction as much. Still people will buy HD800s, and still people will buy Ferraris -- however when legitimate competition exists, that choice becomes one of a fashion statement or a display of economic class more so than anything else.

So which Corvette of headphones unambiguously destroys the HD800s?  

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #643 of 2,283
A ZR1 is certainly fast but it certainly isn't exactly well mannered at those speeds.  

I think this argument is kind of jumping the gun in a lot of ways, we still don't have an MSRP for these phones, but $1000 dollars seems rather pricey for what is essentially a tweaked HD 650 in a new casing.  Their styling is clearly supposed to recall the HD 800 when they don't actually have that much in common.  How much is the reverberation resistant casing really worth?  who knows.  

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #644 of 2,283
Quote:
So which Corvette of headphones unambiguously destroys the HD800s? 

I think his point is that someone could make one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back