Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Jun 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #1,531 of 2,282
Quote:

The combo, I am actually finding the V200/!840 very nice at low to medium volume. But increasing volume the 1840 loses it's composure in presenting the music, sound hardens and is coarse and edgy from mids to the trebles. Having said that I may be listening too loud.......Looking back at this thread many, especially the OP, seems to be listening at low to medium volumes?!

I don't find this with any setups I've tried them with. Best check your ancillaries.

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #1,532 of 2,282
Quote:

I don't find this with any setups I've tried them with. Best check your ancillaries.

Wouldn't think it has anything to do with ancillaries as my other headphones does not show this characteristics of the sound hardening at high listening levels..................

In all honesty, nothing wrong with this characteristic as most lo/mid end home speakers exhibits the same traits. Just something I have noticed about the 1840 when comparing with other headphones. I will just enjoy them at lower levels than with other headphones, problem solved!

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #1,533 of 2,282
Hey guys. I've been reading thru the thread all night and have myself so confused at this point.
I picked up a set of shure 940s and actually like the sound compared to my HD598s but I don't like how the headband sticks so far out and clamps so damn hard.

I'm having a relatively easy time driving them from my iPhone and e11. I'm curious to try the 1440s as I prefer a more open sound. (although I have to admit the soundstage is pretty good for a closed can.)

Will I still be able to drive them pretty well from my setup? The impedance seems to be less than the 940s but I honestly don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to amps.

How's the comfort compared to the 940s in terms of clamping power?
Are they as bright? If that's the word? sometimes T's and the TSSSS sound of cymbals are a tad too ear piercing.

And the last one: how do they compare to the HD600/650? Would the e11 be able to drive them? (I know they scale well with the better stuff...)

Thanks!

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #1,534 of 2,282
Quote:
sometimes T's and the TSSSS sound of cymbals are a tad too ear piercing.

I got exact same issue, and people could not understand how I  could report that the high of srh940 are painful.
Two ways to tame this:
- playing with headband position
- modding them, by increasing depth of ear cups.
See my review on head gear section for more details.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #1,535 of 2,282
You have plenty setup to drive the 1440's

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #1,536 of 2,282
Can you comment as to the differences and similarities between them? I listen to a lot of acoustic music and am interested in the mids mostly. I'd like it if the 949s low end could carry over even just a bit.

Have you ever heard the HD600 or 650?

Thanks!

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #1,537 of 2,282
The 1440 has a bit more mid-bass than the 940 in my opinion. Overall the 1440 is very similar to the 940 with forward mids like them but the mids are a smidge warmer/richer. The sound stage of the 1440 is a bit bigger and more open as well. I definitely prefer the comfort of the 1440 more. For me the 1440 is just a step up all around over the 940 aside from isolation.

I used to own the HD600 and while I liked that headphone found it to be to veiled in the mids in comparison and the treble of the 1440 does cymbals more realistically in my opinion. Considering they are both similarly priced new I think the 1440 is the technically and musically better headphone.

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #1,538 of 2,282
Quote:

Wouldn't think it has anything to do with ancillaries as my other headphones does not show this characteristics of the sound hardening at high listening levels..................

In all honesty, nothing wrong with this characteristic as most lo/mid end home speakers exhibits the same traits. Just something I have noticed about the 1840 when comparing with other headphones. I will just enjoy them at lower levels than with other headphones, problem solved!

Could you describe more specifically the effect you're hearing? I'm also curious to know what other headphones you refer to and the rest of your setup.

You say high listening levels. How loud are we talking here?

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #1,539 of 2,282
Quote:

Yes,  I'm interested in what other headphones your comparing them to.  My GS-1 can pump and even at high levels I nearly no change in sound they seem to scale very well to my ears.  When my balanced re cables get in then I can listen to them on the B22 and see if it can handle that power.

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #1,540 of 2,282
Quote:

Could you describe more specifically the effect you're hearing? I'm also curious to know what other headphones you refer to and the rest of your setup.

You say high listening levels. How loud are we talking here?

Quote:

Yes,  I'm interested in what other headphones your comparing them to.  My GS-1 can pump and even at high levels I nearly no change in sound they seem to scale very well to my ears.  When my balanced re cables get in then I can listen to them on the B22 and see if it can handle that power.

LCD-2, HE500 and HD650. Violectric V200/V800, Triad L3/LLP, iBasso DX100.

I am not a technical person, so have no ideas of levels in terms of db. but fairly high. Having said that as I have noted previously, there is no perceptible change in the other headphones. At higher levels the 1840 is immediately fatiguing, mids sounds coarse and unnatural, and the accentuation on sssss.....is extremely annoying to the point of ear piercing.

Again, I will reiterate the fact that I am enjoying the 1840 a lot more now, and getting it's fair share of playing time.  

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #1,541 of 2,282
But as you have already mentioned, the ear-piercing highs and the coarse mids what you are hearing is probably the V200's fault, because as I have read, it wasn't designed for low impedance cans, so it's probably not suitable for your Shures either.
Altough a few people mentioned about a very slight emphasis on the highs, nobody said that it was almost unbearable nor even that it attracts attention.
Something like a Luxman P200 would be the best paired with these.
The only thing I can suggest you should use them with the DX100 if you're not willing to pay an another 1500 $ on an another AMP, which I completely understand and agree with you.

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #1,542 of 2,282
Quote:

LCD-2, HE500 and HD650. Violectric V200/V800, Triad L3/LLP, iBasso DX100.

I am not a technical person, so have no ideas of levels in terms of db. but fairly high. Having said that as I have noted previously, there is no perceptible change in the other headphones. At higher levels the 1840 is immediately fatiguing, mids sounds coarse and unnatural, and the accentuation on sssss.....is extremely annoying to the point of ear piercing.

Again, I will reiterate the fact that I am enjoying the 1840 a lot more now, and getting it's fair share of playing time.  

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I went ahead and compared all of my headphones at SPLs I can only stand for minutes at a time. What I heard is that they all became more fatiguing to a degree. Most obviously, that's because of the high volumes. It goes without saying, but this was worst with poor recordings.

But, interestingly, I found the Shures to become fatiguing quickest. At (ear-ringing) volumes, the upper mids to mid-treble do become too prominent. This could be part of what you're describing. I don't hear any added hardness/coarseness, or discern any qualitative difference, but a tonal balance that was pleasing at my listening volume becomes too much of a good thing when pumped up.
Because of this, I realized I also enjoy the Shures more at low to medium volumes. Good thing too, because that's really the only volume range I listen at (average being 65-70dB).

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,543 of 2,282
Quote:

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I went ahead and compared all of my headphones at SPLs I can only stand for minutes at a time. What I heard is that they all became more fatiguing to a degree. Most obviously, that's because of the high volumes. It goes without saying, but this was worst with poor recordings.

But, interestingly, I found the Shures to become fatiguing quickest. At (ear-ringing) volumes, the upper mids to mid-treble do become too prominent. This could be part of what you're describing. I don't hear any added hardness/coarseness, or discern any qualitative difference, but a tonal balance that was pleasing at my listening volume becomes too much of a good thing when pumped up.
Because of this, I realized I also enjoy the Shures more at low to medium volumes. Good thing too, because that's really the only volume range I listen at (average being 65-70dB).

I'm sorry - but I won't be trying that 
biggrin.gif
  At the levels I listen at, they are just find.  I can - no - I have listened to them for hours with no fatiguing at all.  So the point of this is what?

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #1,544 of 2,282
Quote:

I'm sorry - but I won't be trying that 
biggrin.gif
  At the levels I listen at, they are just find.  I can - no - I have listened to them for hours with no fatiguing at all.  So the point of this is what?

It has little worth for me also because I'd never listen at that volume, but I wanted to post that because spkrs01 found something that I was initially skeptical of. There is some truth to his claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back