Shure SRH1540 Review
Jul 12, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #2,536 of 2,683
You can get the HPAEC1540 pads from Amazon for $40. I stocked up on those.
They were sold out on amazon. Luckily a norwegian web shop had them in. Very expensive unfortunately, but so be it. Ordered.

Jul 13, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #2,537 of 2,683
Well, I'm not exactly sure what it is. But there is something special about these headphones. I can't put my finger on it. The enjoyment factor is just through the roof. Very impressed. Swapping back to original pads and getting it amped really helped. Made it much cleaner.

Jul 15, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #2,538 of 2,683
I decided to audition the SRH1540, as a replacement for my AKG K271 Mkii. I think the Shures are a worthwhile upgrade. They retain all I liked about the AKGs, in terms of clarity and detail, whilst adding extra bass. That extra bass thump is the most noticeable difference. There is maybe a little extra soundstage, which maybe due to there being more space around my ears inside the pads. The Shures also insulate more than the AKGs, so I hear less outside noise, and less noise leaks out.

The only downside is the cable is annoyingly kinked and I could do with it being a bit longer.

Jul 15, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #2,539 of 2,683
I decided to audition the SRH1540, as a replacement for my AKG K271 Mkii. I think the Shures are a worthwhile upgrade. They retain all I liked about the AKGs, in terms of clarity and detail, whilst adding extra bass. That extra bass thump is the most noticeable difference. There is maybe a little extra soundstage, which maybe due to there being more space around my ears inside the pads. The Shures also insulate more than the AKGs, so I hear less outside noise, and less noise leaks out.

The only downside is the cable is annoyingly kinked and I could do with it being a bit longer.
I ended up with LQI balanced cables. I really like them.

Jul 15, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #2,540 of 2,683
Yeah, the stock cable is a mess and unfortunately no one really makes reasonably priced alternatives. I'm sure LQI makes great cables, but I'm firmly on Team "$150 or more for a headphone cable is insane"

Jul 15, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #2,541 of 2,683
Yeah, the stock cable is a mess and unfortunately no one really makes reasonably priced alternatives. I'm sure LQI makes great cables, but I'm firmly on Team "$150 or more for a headphone cable is insane"
Surf Cables may be less. Ebay may have $50 options

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #2,542 of 2,683
Well, I've barely been listening to anything else since I got the SRH1540. I love these headphones. The new pads came in and they feel fantastic. My only gripe is the headband. Will likely be looking to get the HD 250(?) pads down the line.

I feel the bass boost is perfectly tuned for my tastes with the stock pads. Too much with dekoni pads. The sound is very clean, and the bass makes music exciting without messing with the balance of the headphone.

Putting it head to head with estats, its presentation is definitely smaller scale, and ultimately "less realistic". I find this however to only be a "problem" or "con" with the 1540s when doing very active listening to certain genres. The 1540s are *clear enough*. The soundstage is *wide enough*. I am certaintly not missing details with these cans. For enjoyment, I think the added bass of the 1540s are enough to make up for its lack of soundstage and clarity. One reason for that is of course that a lot of music are bass-centric. Another reason is that I think most contemporary music is mixed with dynamic sound systems in mind.

Now another couple of reasons for why the 1540s are stealing all my time is a reason I thought would be important, but seems to be even more important than I thought it would be:

1) Its closed, and 2) Its built to last

To me, these two factors combined with its fantastic sound makes it a really unique headphone. My Stax needs to be carefully handled, and are obviously completely open. Getting fantastic listening experiences sort of hinges on the house being quiet, and I always need to dedicate myself to have a listening session. With the 1540s, the passive noise cancellation and the fact that I can just have it laying on my desk at all times just makes them so damn practical, that the difference in sound quality there is simply matters less.

I've tried to have a pair of closed cans before, both with the Sony z7's and the Sony MX4s, but they never scratched the itch in terms of quality. I honestly didn't expect too much from the Shures, other than being comfortable and practical. But its sound quality has really impressed me. I think its the best pair of dynamic headphones I've ever owned. I did like the Fostex TH 900s and the Denon 5000s, however they were too sharp in the treble. The HD 650s were great but I never liked their bass. A comparable headphone I would say is the JVC HPDX1000s, however they are much more expensive and not as practical.

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #2,543 of 2,683
Well, I've barely been listening to anything else since I got the SRH1540. I love these headphones. The new pads came in and they feel fantastic. My only gripe is the headband. Will likely be looking to get the HD 250(?) pads down the line.

I feel the bass boost is perfectly tuned for my tastes with the stock pads. Too much with dekoni pads. The sound is very clean, and the bass makes music exciting without messing with the balance of the headphone.

Putting it head to head with estats, its presentation is definitely smaller scale, and ultimately "less realistic". I find this however to only be a "problem" or "con" with the 1540s when doing very active listening to certain genres. The 1540s are *clear enough*. The soundstage is *wide enough*. I am certaintly not missing details with these cans. For enjoyment, I think the added bass of the 1540s are enough to make up for its lack of soundstage and clarity. One reason for that is of course that a lot of music are bass-centric. Another reason is that I think most contemporary music is mixed with dynamic sound systems in mind.

Now another couple of reasons for why the 1540s are stealing all my time is a reason I thought would be important, but seems to be even more important than I thought it would be:

To me, these two factors combined with its fantastic sound makes it a really unique headphone. My Stax needs to be carefully handled, and are obviously completely open. Getting fantastic listening experiences sort of hinges on the house being quiet, and I always need to dedicate myself to have a listening session. With the 1540s, the passive noise cancellation and the fact that I can just have it laying on my desk at all times just makes them so damn practical, that the difference in sound quality there is simply matters less.

I've tried to have a pair of closed cans before, both with the Sony z7's and the Sony MX4s, but they never scratched the itch in terms of quality. I honestly didn't expect too much from the Shures, other than being comfortable and practical. But its sound quality has really impressed me. I think its the best pair of dynamic headphones I've ever owned. I did like the Fostex TH 900s and the Denon 5000s, however they were too sharp in the treble. The HD 650s were great but I never liked their bass. A comparable headphone I would say is the JVC HPDX1000s, however they are much more expensive and not as practical.
HD-280 headband. 20220711_221749.jpg20220711_221740.jpg

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #2,544 of 2,683

I added the 280 headband to mine, but then added a neoprene layer to clean it up and provide a bit more comfort:

Geekria Headband Cover Compatible... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GDNP7J4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Jul 25, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #2,546 of 2,683
I would love all your opinions about the best pairing DAP for Shure SRH1540 headphones.

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #2,548 of 2,683
How much power do you feel they need?
got loud enough right out of my Lenovo Legion proprietary motherboard @ 30%. They are very sensitive.

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #2,549 of 2,683
How much power do you feel they need?
I use Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Sony NW-WM1Z, which is loud enough. I just wanted to make sure I am driving them optimally.

Jul 26, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #2,550 of 2,683
I use Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Sony NW-WM1Z, which is loud enough. I just wanted to make sure I am driving them optimally.

I couldn’t find an power out spec for the Sony DAP—hard to imagine it supply enough, but then, you worry when they don’t spec something…

In any case, I was curious. I don’t think I want a DAP, rather continue using my iPhone as a source, relagating my L&P W2 to strictly portable with IEMs, and looking for a bedside DAC/Amp… e.g., Topping DX3 Pro…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back