Shure SRH1540 Review
Mar 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #271 of 2,681
  soundstage and 3d Imaging is awesome, but sometimes it sounds a Little wierd and tubular. they Portrait a room, but at the same time Sound closed in. srh940 for example has similar 3d Imaging but sounds much more open.

I think I know what you mean.  They aren't as wide as others.  To use an analogy, I think about soundstage like a clock.  My HD600s and DT900s have sound wide at 9 and 3 o'clock, as well as sound at 12.  That's sort of 3-blob to me.  The 1540s also have sound at 10, 11, 1, and 2, but the 9 and 3 aren't as wide apart as the HD600s and Dt990s.  Overall, I really like it.  It really seems to work for me.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #272 of 2,681

I think I know what you mean.  They aren't as wide as others.  To use an analogy, I think about soundstage like a clock.  My HD600s and DT900s have sound wide at 9 and 3 o'clock, as well as sound at 12.  That's sort of 3-blob to me.  The 1540s also have sound at 10, 11, 1, and 2, but the 9 and 3 aren't as wide apart as the HD600s and Dt990s.  Overall, I really like it.  It really seems to work for me.

I think I get what you mean, I'm coming from a pair of D600s, which are farther from neutral than the 1540s and not as clear but I still love them.  I noticed I've been using them a lot for netflix watching (tv show & movie watching) in fact I moved my D600s into my bedroom, for when I wanna watch netflix, when my wife is sleeping, given they isolate better than the 1540s.

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #273 of 2,681
I'm super interested in the SRH1540. Right now my desktop headphone is the DT880 600, and whilst I really like it, I think that it's inability to render low bass sufficiently (Welcome to open back dynamics, I guess) effects it's versatility. I'd also like something that isolates more, since I live with room-mates and occasionally go to LAN parties. I'm keen to see Tyl's review over at Innerfidelity, but from what I've read and seen It seems to tick all my boxes. Could somebody comment on it's speed? It doesn't have to be as agile as a stat or anything, I just want to know that it's not sluggish sounding. As long as it sound coherent during more hectic tracks, then I'll be happy. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #274 of 2,681
I'm super interested in the SRH1540. Right now my desktop headphone is the DT880 600, and whilst I really like it, I think that it's inability to render low bass sufficiently (Welcome to open back dynamics, I guess) effects it's versatility. I'd also like something that isolates more, since I live with room-mates and occasionally go to LAN parties. I'm keen to see Tyl's review over at Innerfidelity, but from what I've read and seen It seems to tick all my boxes. Could somebody comment on it's speed? It doesn't have to be as agile as a stat or anything, I just want to know that it's not sluggish sounding. As long as it sound coherent during more hectic tracks, then I'll be happy. 

What kind of music do you listen to so I can test my own pair for you? I'm guessing dubstep/drum 'n bass/electro house? I haven't noticed any sluggishness personally though.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #275 of 2,681
What kind of music do you listen to so I can test my own pair for you? I'm guessing dubstep/drum 'n bass/electro house? I haven't noticed any sluggishness personally though.

I listen to a wide variety of music, including Classical, Ambient, Metal, Prog, Rock, Jazz, Soundtracks, Alternative, Contemporary but yes it's my Hip Hop and EDM that I find the bass to be insufficient in a lot of cases with the DT880. 

Thanks, that would much appreciated :D

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #276 of 2,681
I listen to a wide variety of music, including Classical, Ambient, Metal, Prog, Rock, Jazz, Soundtracks, Alternative, Contemporary but yes it's my Hip Hop and EDM that I find the bass to be insufficient in a lot of cases with the DT880. 

Thanks, that would much appreciated :D

I'm also looking forward to Tyll's review of them.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #277 of 2,681
I'm also looking forward to Tyll's review of them.

Yep, he certainly indicated that he liked them, we'll see how much. One of the biggest reasons I want to like the srh1540 is that it's one of the few circumaural sealed cans that have come out that are actually of decent size in the cups/pads. I don't understand what is possessing so many manufacturers to make "around ear" headphones that would only ever cover a child's ears. It's maddening! I'd be all over Focal's new offerings if they weren't so tiny!

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #281 of 2,681
Yep, he certainly indicated that he liked them, we'll see how much. One of the biggest reasons I want to like the srh1540 is that it's one of the few circumaural sealed cans that have come out that are actually of decent size in the cups/pads. I don't understand what is possessing so many manufacturers to make "around ear" headphones that would only ever cover a child's ears. It's maddening! I'd be all over Focal's new offerings if they weren't so tiny!

Totally agree about the focals and i think of some more too like the Momentums.

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #283 of 2,681
Sure just let me know what you listen to.

How do these songs sound?
http://val.fm/why-so-serious-14-krizz-kaliko-mp3/ this one has low subbass.

http://mp3skull.com/mp3/worldwide_choppers.html

And at last, this one: http://mp3skull.com/mp3/tech_n9ne_technicians.html. The vocals on the technicians song sound a bit recessed on my current headphones, so I'm really curious how they sound on the 1540's.

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #284 of 2,681
  Can you also do some testing with your pair with my favourite music?

You've already asked the same questions several different ways, and you've been given many answers, which have all been similar.  While it's good to solicit opinions, I think it's time to just pony up and get these cans already.  In the end, what other people hear and describe to you isn't important because it's your ears they'll be going on in the end.  

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #285 of 2,681
  How do these songs sound?
http://val.fm/why-so-serious-14-krizz-kaliko-mp3/ this one has low subbass.

http://mp3skull.com/mp3/worldwide_choppers.html

And at last, this one: http://mp3skull.com/mp3/tech_n9ne_technicians.html. The vocals on the technicians song sound a bit recessed on my current headphones, so I'm really curious how they sound on the 1540's.

give me some youtube links instead as I don't trust that site :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back