Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jul 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #796 of 3,855
I just picked up some generic neon orange not so 'silly' putty at the local dollar store. Which, funny enough, actually cost a buck plus tax. There isn't too much in there. Probably not enough to cover the entire inside of both cups. Certainly not enough to cover four. But it will be more than enough to dampen the back of the drivers and a few other things. I'll start with the 840 and move to the 940 when I get more comfortable with the procedures.

So I'll report back later when I know something.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #798 of 3,855
Quote:
I just picked up some generic neon orange not so 'silly' putty at the local dollar store. Which, funny enough, actually cost a buck plus tax. There isn't too much in there. Probably not enough to cover the entire inside of both cups. Certainly not enough to cover four. But it will be more than enough to dampen the back of the drivers and a few other things. I'll start with the 840 and move to the 940 when I get more comfortable with the procedures.

So I'll report back later when I know something.

Silly putty probably isn't a good choice for something like that.  The consistancy may be slightly different from brand to brand, but after a few days it usually flows and settles in the bottom instead of sticking to the sides.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #799 of 3,855
Quote:Originally Posted by maverickronin 

"Silly putty probably isn't a good choice for something like that.  The consistancy may be slightly different from brand to brand, but after a few days it usually flows and settles in the bottom instead of sticking to the sides."

I never thought of that. Since I've been busy all day and haven't started I will put off the mod until I have Blu-Tac. I don't like doing experiments that could have negative side effects. This would be a negative. Thanks maverickronin.

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #800 of 3,855
Quote:Originally Posted by kkl10 

"baka1969, have you given a listen to both headphones enclosureless?It would be interesting to know how the drivers respond on an open environment..."

This isn't really possible. The cup enclosures are the parts that are attached to the rest of the headphone and not the driver assembly.

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #801 of 3,855

Quote:
How do they stand up to the AKG K 701?

It's the other way around imo.
biggrin.gif
The 940's are better to me in every conceivable way (comfort now is even just fine) compared to my 702's. Granted I haven't compared them directly a lot, but from my overall impression of them both I'd always reach for the 940's over the 702's (and I haven't listened to my 702's after getting the 940's except for briefly comparing them to the 940's). My favorite can for over a year (the 702's) have been dethroned.

More info can be found in the comments on this review:

http://www.headfonia.com/shure-srh-940-detail-monster/

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #802 of 3,855
Interesting stuff, seems like these might clown on the dt880 a bit.

What amps are you guys pairing these with btw? Anything seem to click particularly well or does it not really matter on something so easy to drive?

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #803 of 3,855
Interesting stuff, seems like these might clown on the dt880 a bit.

What amps are you guys pairing these with btw? Anything seem to click particularly well or does it not really matter on something so easy to drive?

I don't find them picky at all. In fact, I find these to be the least picky and easiest to drive of any of the higher end dynamics.

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #804 of 3,855

Quote:
It's the other way around imo.
biggrin.gif
The 940's are better to me in every conceivable way (comfort now is even just fine) compared to my 702's. Granted I haven't compared them directly a lot, but from my overall impression of them both I'd always reach for the 940's over the 702's (and I haven't listened to my 702's after getting the 940's except for briefly comparing them to the 940's). My favorite can for over a year (the 702's) have been dethroned.

More info can be found in the comments on this review:

http://www.headfonia.com/shure-srh-940-detail-monster/

Heh, now I have to save up for $762. Going up the money ladder, $3 per day. :frowning2: (SRH-940 > RSA Predator)
*hoping for a miracle*

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #806 of 3,855

Quote:

Heh, now I have to save up for $762. Going up the money ladder, $3 per day. :frowning2: (SRH-940 > RSA Predator)
*hoping for a miracle*

Lol, sorry! I'm good with them out of my M-Stage. They also sound good out of my Cowon D2 unamped or with the little FiiO E5.

Keep in mind that reviewer is a "warm head" so he would recommend pairing the 940's with a dark or warm amp (which I think the Predator is?).

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #807 of 3,855
I put some putty on the back of the drivers of the 940:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/8/87/87d55da6_IMG-20110718-00163.jpg

I'll post some impressions in a bit and maybe work on dampening inside the cups later.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #808 of 3,855
Received a pair in the mail today from TTVJ...

Very interesting
smile.gif

One of the highest resolution dynamics I have heard for sure. Definitely not euphonic in my opinion, but then I don't suppose that was the goal of the designers.

I was afraid from all of the posts that I've read on these that they were going to be lacking in bass but I don't find them to be so at all. Certainly they don't have the weight in the bass that a pair of D2K's have but bass quality is very good.

I've got an Audio GD NFB-12 on the way that I'm hoping will be a nice match...

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #809 of 3,855

Quote:

I was afraid from all of the posts that I've read on these that they were going to be lacking in bass but I don't find them to be so at all. Certainly they don't have the weight in the bass that a pair of D2K's have but bass quality is very good.

Yep. Bass is very good. It could use a little more impact/extension when you want to really rock (of course I question the use of headphones for that anyway), but then the quality would probably suffer. Kind of why I usually just use my monitor speakers without my sub. I only turn on my sub for movies or for when I want to blow down the house...and I have it set at a modest volume and crossover freq. as it is. The monitors, which go down to about 45hz, are more than fine 80% of the time and so are the 940's. If I want headphones with excess bass, I can put on my 770's.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #810 of 3,855
Quote:
Received a pair in the mail today from TTVJ...

Very interesting
smile.gif

One of the highest resolution dynamics I have heard for sure. Definitely not euphonic in my opinion, but then I don't suppose that was the goal of the designers.

I've got an Audio GD NFB-12 on the way that I'm hoping will be a nice match...

Even as the resident whiner about stupid crap, I have to agree, the bass on this thing is right where it should be. Like the 840 it has a level of bass that sort of creeps up on you over time, although here the burn in is probably more mental than physical.

What do you mean by euphonic though? It's not musical to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back