Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jan 14, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #46 of 3,855
guys, the 550dj looks like it has portable cabling...now this is exciting

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #48 of 3,855
The 940's look cheaper than both the 440's and 840's IMO - Maybe it's just the cheap look of silver.
rolleyes.gif

The pads look very nice though, I ended up buying the 840 pads for my 440's and velcroing a Sennheiser headband, so mine are actually as comfy as a pillow
biggrin.gif
But without this, they are fatiguing as hell.

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #49 of 3,855
$349.99? I'm surprised nobody has complained about the price yet. Maybe I'm a cheapskate. I do understand that's probably the suggested retail price, so maybe they'll be much cheaper.
If they sound like a $350 headphone, then it's not a big deal. I just hope it's not a slightly improved SRH-840. It better not use the same driver for that price!

It does look like they did get a lot of things right with that design and I'm definitely interested in the SRH-940.

I wonder if the 940 is going to have a balanced sound like the 840. I hope so.

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #51 of 3,855

Quote:
$349.99? I'm surprised nobody has complained about the price yet. Maybe I'm a cheapskate. I do understand that's probably the suggested retail price, so maybe they'll be much cheaper.
If they sound like a $350 headphone, then it's not a big deal. I just hope it's not a slightly improved SRH-840. It better not use the same driver for that price!

It does look like they did get a lot of things right with that design and I'm definitely interested in the SRH-940.

I wonder if the 940 is going to have a balanced sound like the 840. I hope so.

pilsbury, i thought you didn't like the 840's and even preferred a pair of koss phones to them

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #52 of 3,855
Nope, I loved the Shure SRH-840! I owned them the first time for over 6 months and dealt with the discomfort and I'm not sure why. Once I sold them I ended up with the AKG K240 Studio and DJ100. It's hard to believe but the SRH-840 was once my #1 favorite headphone!

I did give the 840 another try and they still sounded good, but the pain was even worse the second time around so I had to return them. The KNS-8400 and DJ100 made it kind of pointless to own the 840 anyway.

pilsbury, i thought you didn't like the 840's and even preferred a pair of koss phones to them

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #53 of 3,855
I don't know why but the 840's never stood out to me, the 440's seemed more 'fun' (which is what I wanted them for at the time) and were also about 35 kilograms lighter than the 840's
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #54 of 3,855
If Shure does replace the 840 with the 940, it would remind me of another company who thought they were "improving" the line by replacing its flagship. Same leading numbers, too (8 -> 9). I'm of course talking about beyerdynamic with the DT880, which got bumped in 1985 for the DT990, which was supposed to be an improvement. Beyer ended up reintroducing the DT880 and making both concurrently, which they still do today.

It all depends on how different the SRH840 and 940 are. Jude says the difference is noticeable. Shure's intent could be taken one of two ways: either they're "fixing" the complaint about the laid back sound of the 840, or else they're attempting to add a different sonic signature altogether to the line. I noticed an interesting tonal correlation between the existing Shure cans and certain AKG models--on paper, at least, the 440 looks like an almost exact match of the K271, and the 840 strongly resembles the K240. If this is what they were doing (it's not a bad strategy to voice your products similarly to established studio equipment), I wonder which AKG can the 940 will resemble, if any at all.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #56 of 3,855

Quote:
Quote:
Shure needs to curve the headbands more. On maximum extension, the SRH840 cannot cover both my earlobes at the same time because the headband is too flat.
It's interesting. Mid-to-high tier headphones don't seem to have much headband extension. I use my HD215 (cheap closed phones) at some 40% extension and wonder who the heck is going to use that full extension. Germans? Giant Germans?

maybe they're preparing for evolution...they must figure, one day, people's craniums will suddenly become twice as big

Haven't you heard?  Human brains are actually shrinking..  

Mostly I hope that their extended highs are above 10kHz- SRH840 have plenty of mid-treble as it is.  Maybe the velour ear pads will improve the deep bass (velour vs faux leather seems to help the bass on K271s) the only other frequency range that would be welcome on the SRH840 imo.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #57 of 3,855

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Shure needs to curve the headbands more. On maximum extension, the SRH840 cannot cover both my earlobes at the same time because the headband is too flat.
It's interesting. Mid-to-high tier headphones don't seem to have much headband extension. I use my HD215 (cheap closed phones) at some 40% extension and wonder who the heck is going to use that full extension. Germans? Giant Germans?

maybe they're preparing for evolution...they must figure, one day, people's craniums will suddenly become twice as big

Haven't you heard?  Human brains are actually shrinking..  

Mostly I hope that their extended highs are above 10kHz- SRH840 have plenty of mid-treble as it is.  Maybe the velour ear pads will improve the deep bass (velour vs faux leather seems to help the bass on K271s) the only other frequency range that would be welcome on the SRH840 imo.

well...the monkey with cymbals clanging isn't getting any slimmer now is he?

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #58 of 3,855
Very intrigued by these. I do love my 840s but I can't see me pulling the trigger on these - would want to try a different manufacturer like Beyer before I start having multiple HPs from the same company.

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #60 of 3,855

Quote:
Ehhh, the hinges on the 940 look weak and a possible source of problems.

they look thick enough that I wouldn't be too worried about them, the front to back profile pic shows that they're pretty thick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back