Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jan 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #3,001 of 3,855

Quote:
Before judging the SRH-940 as bad any more, you should seriously try several different sources and amps. When I had the E7 I felt it was making ALL my headphones brighter than they should be. There's some silly people who believe in amp burn-in. I didn't burn it in and I won't go there. I was shocked at how weird it make some of my headphones sound. The E9 + E7 was a double whammy for me and I hated that combo. The E9 itself didn't cause the issue.

I think this is why the E10 + E9 combo should be better for SOME headphones than the E7+E9. E7 + E9 I think would be bad for very bright headphones. Maybe not. Seems to be best for darker headphones IMO.

tdockweiler, I'm looking to purchase a new DAC/AMP combo to replace my UDAC2, which sounds utterly too bright when paired with my SRH940. I was looking at just the Fiio E10, but do you think it will sound better if I add an E9 as well to have a E9+E10 combo? Or do you think the E10 will suffice? 

Basically, I know the E10 provides a nice warm and full mid smooth sound as I've already tried it, so what more would I get to add the E9? And If I were to add the E9, how do I connect the E10 to the E9?

dL

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #3,002 of 3,855

Quote:
 I was looking at just the Fiio E10, but do you think it will sound better if I add an E9 as well to have a E9+E10 combo? Or do you think the E10 will suffice? 

Basically, I know the E10 provides a nice warm and full mid smooth sound as I've already tried it, so what more would I get to add the E9? And If I were to add the E9, how do I connect the E10 to the E9?

dL

Fiio E17 is coming soon.

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #3,004 of 3,855

Quote:
tdockweiler, I'm looking to purchase a new DAC/AMP combo to replace my UDAC2, which sounds utterly too bright when paired with my SRH940. I was looking at just the Fiio E10, but do you think it will sound better if I add an E9 as well to have a E9+E10 combo? Or do you think the E10 will suffice? 

dL

If you want a desktop amp/dac that has plenty of power, different gain switch, a warm signature, and the ability to alter the signature by changing the filters - consider the Audio-gd NFB-12.  It's about the same price as an E7+E9 combo, and would be definitely cheaper than an E17/E9.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #3,005 of 3,855

Quote:
Well I trust my ears.

If you really trust your ears, then how do you explain the vast change in your opinion of the SRH940? You can't -- you must either admit your ears were wrong then, or wrong now -- they can't both be right. And since you admit that your ear was "wrong" once, then you can't really say with so much certainty what you hear right now, can you?

You're just finding that you prefer the sound signature of other headphones. Try comparing the others you mention in a precise treble detail comparison. 

Werd.

If you dislike the product, that's fine. I personally really dislike the DT990 sound signature, and I know a lot of people love it, but I won't go to that thread and complain how bad it is and how it's the Beat's version of that respective company.

Don't read me wrong. I value opinions and discussions as that's how one learns from another and how a community benefits from each other. Unfortunately, your opinions are highly fluctuating, as ac500 mentioned, and very extreme on one end to the point that ends up hurting your own credibility.

Perhaps, try a different amp like what tdockweiler mentioned? I know my udac2 sounds pretty bad with it, but when I paired it with an E10 it sounded a lot better.

dL

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #3,006 of 3,855
Well headfonia suggest it's better to get the fiio e17 alone, and not e17 with E9.
You might wait for an E19
devil_face.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #3,007 of 3,855

Quote:
Well headfonia suggest it's better to get the fiio e17 alone, and not e17 with E9.
You might wait for an E19
devil_face.gif

Yea I read Mike's review. I want a darker, warmer, fuller sounding amp as the SRH940 is a tad too bright, but extremely detailed. I just want to balance it out :) plus to be quite frankly, I love the big volume dial on the E9.

I will demo the E10, E10+E9, E17, E17+E9 and make my final decision. More testing and comparisons to do.

dL

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #3,008 of 3,855

Quote:
Yea I read Mike's review. I want a darker, warmer, fuller sounding amp as the SRH940 is a tad too bright, but extremely detailed. I just want to balance it out :) plus to be quite frankly, I love the big volume dial on the E9.

I will demo the E10, E10+E9, E17, E17+E9 and make my final decision. More testing and comparisons to do.

dL

Too bright ? Try playing with ear cup position, just like I'm suggesting on my review. That was enough for me to go from "fatiguing" sound  to "ok".
Takes five minute to try.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #3,009 of 3,855

Quote:
Too bright ? Try playing with ear cup position, just like I'm suggesting on my review. That was enough for me to go from "fatiguing" sound  to "ok".
Takes five minute to try.

I read about it before. I prefer position A better and it's not overly bright to the point that I cannot stand it. I just wish it has more warmth (like the SRH840) and the E10 was able to balance that! The high's are absolutely beautiful on these headphones.

dL

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #3,010 of 3,855

Quote:
I read about it before. I prefer position A better and it's not overly bright to the point that I cannot stand it. I just wish it has more warmth (like the SRH840) and the E10 was able to balance that! The high's are absolutely beautiful on these headphones.

dL

Ah! Another user that doesn't find them warm!

I'm not alone afterall...

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #3,012 of 3,855
Quote:
Pardon my bad grammar and spelling im typing this from my iPhone. I find anyone who claims these to be any good laughable. After further listening and comparing even my $100 m50 sound much better. No I'm not complaining about lack of bass it's the vocals. The presentation of vocals on these are just atrocious. I don't know why people consider this their strong point. I am going to say these are about 2x over priced. What happened shure? Before anyone claims I was a huge lover consider this. I was until I did further comparisons between everything else I own. The only headphones I have which performed worse were some $70 pioneer headphones. I am appalled by the value of these headphones. My rant is over. Heck I prefer my ms1 over these by a long shot.

Quote:

If you think vocals sound good on these you have bad hearing or have been listening to headphones all the time and ignoring real peoples voices. Vocals on these are just plain terrible. I'm sorry but they are.

Quote:
When i wrote that review i had just got them and i was in a honeymoon period. Now that i have had them for a month i now know what they sound like. They are quite mediocre.

I will edit the review.

Quote:
Well believe it or not srh840 is.

My first serious headphone. Cost me $130. And yet every other can i have tried against it fails epically.

Quote:
Am i the only one who thinks the srh840 is far superior to the 940?

Quote:
My issue with the srh940 isn't the bass hole it's the terrible vocal presentation. I don't understand why people think vocals are so goood on these. They are among the worst i have ever heard on any set of headphone.

Quote:
The issue i have is my $100 m50s sound superior to these and i paid $300 for the srh940.

Thanks for a good hearty laugh.

Really though now I'm going to stop recommending the 940 since b-casey is my hero.

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #3,013 of 3,855

Quote:
So far, only tdockweiler found the srh940 "somewhat warm". But I  guess it would depends of what "warm" means. The treble is not recessed, so that's not that.

There are others--

One example of the top of my head is Brooko

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #3,014 of 3,855
Yep - warm - but not in the traditional sense of the way most people use "warm" on Head-fi.

To me - warm means forward and intimate mid-range.  To a lot of others, warm is normally associated with dark (bassy, treble-light, but liquid mid-range).

The SRH 940 had gorgeous mids - that were definitely forward and smooth - but for me the highs were almost sweet (for the want of a better description), a touch airy and dry - but not grainy or sibilant.

Hope that makes sense.

I would have kept it (I liked the obvious colouration) if it wasn't for the strange sounding lower mids and bass.  For me - the mid-bass especially just didn't gel - and I was looking for an allrounder.  Thankfully I've since found it with the HM5.

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #3,015 of 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by John In Cali /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you tried a different amp?  My 940 also sounded strange with the e7 i tried it with.  
Anyone tried the 940 with an O2?  I might end up buying one later on, im guessing it will pair well since the neutrality of the O2 makes it pair well with most anything, or so ive heard.

There have been some positive comments on 940 with the O2.

Quote:
The issue i have is my $100 m50s sound superior to these and i paid $300 for the srh940.

Perhaps sell both, and try the KRK KNS6400?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back