Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
May 18, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #286 of 3,855

Quote:
I'm getting kind of worried... Most people are saying the have less bass than the 840's but are more focused in the higher frequencies. To me, the 440 with 840 pads do this already but have an even stronger bottom end than the 840's with much more impact as well. I'm wondering if I made a mistake ordering them as I have always felt the 840's to be slightly on the lean side in the impact department.

What are you amping your 840's with?

May 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #287 of 3,855

Quote:
My impression of SRH840 was opposite.  
tongue.gif
  They have a bit of a mid-bass hump to these ears and lack a little in treble extension and soundstage.  If 940 addresses these 3 points, they could be just right.

I'd say you'd really like the 940 then.

I think the 940's bass extension is still very good, it's just not quite as "heavy" as the 840.

May 18, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #288 of 3,855
I'm using a heed can amp and unamped as well depending on where I am as I don't have a portable amp. Shures definitely benefit from amping, specially the 840's but not as much as a lot of other headphones. I guess it's not the quantity of bass in the 840's that I found lacking, but the overall impact compared to the 440's.

May 19, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #289 of 3,855
Well, I posted awhile back about these not being in stock... I finally got them today. My ultra uneducated, very untrained ears tell me these are the best headphones I have ever owned. I had the Bose QC3 headphones before these and have enjoyed them, but they finally bit the dust. These 940's sound downright amazing. I am not using a amp on them and now you all got me trying to figure out what a good one to use on these will be. Never before have I thought I would even want one because all headphones sound the best right out of the box right---NOT!

Amazing, just amazing...
L3000.gif

May 19, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #290 of 3,855
Nice impressions!  What were some areas the SRH940 improved on or flat out beat your QC3?

May 20, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #291 of 3,855
Wow I really can't wait to get mine. I basically drained my little bit of surplus in my bank account to get them but such is this hobby right? Lol

May 20, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #292 of 3,855
Quote:Originally Posted by mspwj15 

"Well, I posted awhile back about these not being in stock... I finally got them today. My ultra uneducated, very untrained ears tell me these are the best headphones I have ever owned. I had the Bose QC3 headphones before these and have enjoyed them, but they finally bit the dust. These 940's sound downright amazing. I am not using a amp on them and now you all got me trying to figure out what a good one to use on these will be. Never before have I thought I would even want one because all headphones sound the best right out of the box right---NOT!
Amazing, just amazing..."

Ah the enthusiasm of the first real headphone. :) Congratulations!

The 940 is on my list. Probably by summer's end.

May 20, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #293 of 3,855

Quote:
Nice impressions!  What were some areas the SRH940 improved on or flat out beat your QC3?

LOL, what were some of the areas that the 940 improved on?? Well, for starters---everything. Dont get me wrong, I liked the Bose QC3's--the noise cancellation was fantastic. The problems I have are with the company and the fact they use so much proprietary crap. I needed a replacement part for them only to find out I couldnt get it. I THOUGHT those headphones sounded fantastic---that is until the 940's. The clairity on the 940's is amazing. Everything I have heard before now sounds muffled compared to these. The quality of them is also really nice. I mean they literally thought of everything. A good example is the case, which by itself is of amazing quality. It has some great storage for the cords. They even created a hidden compartment to hold the replacement ear cups. What did the case with the QC3's come with---BUSINESS CARDS 
confused_face_2.gif
to give to others so I could refer their products--seriously?!?!?! You gave me friggin business cards but no place to hold this cord--What?!?!?! I also like that the cord on the 940's locks into place, you simply plug it in and turn. 

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE!! I dont know but the ability of these to block out noise is also amazing. I realize that this may be just a typical feature of the over the ear headphones but it works great regardless, and no (proprietary) batteries to charge anymore!

Ultimately, My untrained ears would rate these headphones with the following;
Clairity = A+
Highs = A
Lows = B (dont think its entirely the headphones but more a lack of amp)
Mids = A
Quality of product = A+
Included accessories = A+
Case = A++++++ (It deserves an award all its own)
Overall = A+    (I would purchase these again in a heartbeat. Unequivocally the best sound my ears have heard to date has come from these headphones)

The only---ONLY thing I noticed that I would say MAY be a downside is the lack of bass. I will say however, I am thinking a remedy to this may be a headphone amp (which I didnt know even existed until 3 months ago). With that said, anyone have any good recommendations on an amp? I am kind of confused also on that because I use my headphones ONLY on my computer. I currently have a Logitech 5.1 speaker system for the pc which supposedly has a amp built in. My guess is that the amp built in sucks, and I would be better off purchasing another one dedicated to the headphones. The question(s) I have are, what amp(s) can you all recommend that arent ridiculously expensive (under 200)? can I plug that one into the remote volume that goes to the 5.1 system, or do I need to find another jack on the pc? 
Quote:
Wow I really can't wait to get mine. I basically drained my little bit of surplus in my bank account to get them but such is this hobby right? Lol

Meh, I drained my account a bit for em, but am finding myself feeling like it was well worth it. 

Quote:
Ah the enthusiasm of the first real headphone. :) Congratulations!

The 940 is on my list. Probably by summer's end.

And here I was thinking the QC3's qualified as a "real" headphone---christ, they were $350!!

but alas, they were hardly real. Now I understand why there is a whole site dedicated to headphones. Dont hate me for saying this but originally I was thinking "wow, these guys are nuts! Who in their right mind needs 12 headphones!?!?!?" Now I am finding myself wondering about other headphones and thinking, I NEED MORE!

P.S. sorry for the long rant, I just love these that much and I would never have found them had I not come to head-fi.org. 
L3000.gif

May 20, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #294 of 3,855
Quote:Originally Posted by mspwj15 

"<snip>. . .I NEED MORE!. . . <snip>"

CHECK and MATE. :)

You are now officially hooked. Addicted to the drug. From here on out you'll need more and more just to feel the same thing again... My suggestion is to take your 940 and run blissfully from Head-Fi and never look back.

Now that I said that, a decent little DAC/amp like the iBasso D2+ Boa should drive the Shure 940 well as they did nicely to the 840.

If you've already deleted the Head-Fi bookmark and aren't reading this I bid you good luck with your new-found happiness. If you are indeed reading this, I'm sorry but there are so many other new (to you) and terrific headphones to try and your wallet is now shaking in fear. :) Good luck. lol

May 20, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #295 of 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspwj15  
<Vey insightful impressions>

Thanks for your detailed thoughts!  I had feeling the 940 would be special, this just pretty much confirms it(as if there was any doubt).  Hmm, now I must convince myself that my recently(month and a half ago) acquired SRH840 are enough...

May 20, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #296 of 3,855

Quote:
Thanks for your detailed thoughts!  I had feeling the 940 would be special, this just pretty much confirms it(as if there was any doubt).  Hmm, now I must convince myself that my recently(month and a half ago) acquired SRH840 are enough...

In same boat ..... also have to convince my lovely wife that I need them.  In her words - 'you only have one set of ears!'   How little does she know 
wink_face.gif

May 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #297 of 3,855

Once i Amped my 840s the lows and midbass really started to come through.  as well as overall richness of the sound.  So i would say if you are happy now, save, research, and buy something in your price range and then you will upgrade further.

i was listening to my 840s out of the z2300 logitech HPout and thought it was great.  then i dusted off the old pioneer reciever, put on the 1/4inch jack turned it on.... and the smile didn't go away for hours.  hell months.  Enjoy!
Quote:

The only---ONLY thing I noticed that I would say MAY be a downside is the lack of bass. I will say however, I am thinking a remedy to this may be a headphone amp (which I didnt know even existed until 3 months ago). With that said, anyone have any good recommendations on an amp? I am kind of confused also on that because I use my headphones ONLY on my computer. I currently have a Logitech 5.1 speaker system for the pc which supposedly has a amp built in. My guess is that the amp built in sucks, and I would be better off purchasing another one dedicated to the headphones. The question(s) I have are, what amp(s) can you all recommend that arent ridiculously expensive (under 200)? can I plug that one into the remote volume that goes to the 5.1 system, or do I need to find another jack on the pc? 

May 20, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #298 of 3,855
Quote:
In same boat ..... also have to convince my lovely wife that I need them.  In her words - 'you only have one set of ears!'   How little does she know 
wink_face.gif

Lol  Well, you can politely remind her of all the pairs of shoes she has for 'her one set of feet'.
wink_face.gif

May 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #299 of 3,855
Got my tracking number, they should be here wednesday. Even after being into this for over ten years and buying countless headphones, the feeling of a new pair on it's way is still one of the greatest in the world. I am going to be writing a review comparing every SRH headphone from the 240 to the 940 and everything in between. Being one of Shures biggest fans on head-fi, one can imagine how excited I am to get their new flagship in the mail. These next few days are gonna crawl by lol.

May 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #300 of 3,855

Quote:
Got my tracking number, they should be here wednesday. Even after being into this for over ten years and buying countless headphones, the feeling of a new pair on it's way is still one of the greatest in the world. I am going to be writing a review comparing every SRH headphone from the 240 to the 940 and everything in between. Being one of Shures biggest fans on head-fi, one can imagine how excited I am to get their new flagship in the mail. These next few days are gonna crawl by lol.

I'll be curious to see how the 840 pads fare on the 940.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back