Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Dec 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #2,822 of 3,855

Quote:
What is a warm treble , I'm not sure I  understand ?
biggrin.gif

Fatigue ? Unnatural ? Or you just get used to a sound that  fail to impress after some times ?

A tube-like treble, soft, fine-grained.

Natural, healthy food makes one healthy but sometimes you like an occasional McDonalds or Krispy Kreme donut. Then when you feel like crap you go back to the healthier choices. I think we rotate our headphones for similar effect.

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #2,823 of 3,855

Quote:
I wonder then, to ask the trebleheads here, what is better or equal to the SRH940 treble in an open headphone? I've asked this before and people only suggested the DT880.

Honestly it seems the only thing better than the SRH940 is the HD800, which is presently out of my pricerange. Fortunately the HD800 IS most certainly comfortable, whereas I find both the SRH940 and DT880 too small for my head.

Honestly I'm a bit astonished how "meh" I'm finding the DT880 across the spectrum. I thought the HD650 had congested highs compared to the SRH940 (which they do slightly), but the DT880 makes the HD650 look brilliant all-around in comparison.

The GMP400 would be a good challenger.

I find my SP-1 (QP450PRO/GMP450PRO variant) to have better overall detail retrieval, energy, and balance.  The SP-1 is basically semi-open.  I posted a little something over on the CharterOak thread that might give you a better idea of how I compare the two.  Check post 288.

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #2,824 of 3,855
I don't care what anyone says these are amazing.

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #2,825 of 3,855
Just got myself a pair of these, initial impression is very good. Far much superior than my old M50s, my only complain of these is the headband is a little bit uncomfortable, i can feel it pressing on my head. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #2,828 of 3,855
Quote:
Edit: Nevermind

ac500, did you figure out the treble explosion graph of the SRH1440 yet?

Quote:
They have a great sound, especially upper notes.

Good accessories.

Other than that, everything doesn't match with my expectations..

Great headphones tho.

...which were?

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #2,829 of 3,855
I don't remember what my edited post was originally, but I don't see what's to figure out about the FR graph. It's a raw FR graph, so the treble peak is to be expected - you see this in all headphones before the head-based transfer function is applied. I don't understand what's the mystery here?

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #2,831 of 3,855
Crap ac500 your new logo is confusing me, everyones new logo, my brain relies heavily on visual imagery most of the stuff i remember about people comes from their logo. When they change it they become an entirely new person, its confusing. Wish there was a chrome extension that would make everyone's logo stay the same forever.
End of random meaningless rant.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #2,832 of 3,855
Quote:
I don't remember what my edited post was originally, but I don't see what's to figure out about the FR graph. It's a raw FR graph, so the treble peak is to be expected - you see this in all headphones before the head-based transfer function is applied. I don't understand what's the mystery here?

How do you know it's a raw graph, and what's the point in Shure showing it to everyone if it doesn't mean anything and is to be dismissed?

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #2,833 of 3,855
How do you know it's a raw graph, and what's the point in Shure showing it to everyone if it doesn't mean anything and is to be dismissed?

It's not to be dismissed, it's just a different format of the same info, basically. It's a raw graph because it's obvious. Like I said read Tyll's article and it will all become clear.

Raw graphs are actually better in some ways because everyone seems to use a different transfer function which is one reason why different people have different graphs of the same headphone.

Crap ac500 your new logo is confusing me, everyones new logo, my brain relies heavily on visual imagery most of the stuff i remember about people comes from their logo. When they change it they become an entirely new person, its confusing. Wish there was a chrome extension that would make everyone's logo stay the same forever.
 ​
Makes sense to me. I changed my avatar though mostly because people were thinking I was some huge anime fan when really I just liked that picture of the cartoon girl wearing HD650s. I might change it back I guess, but this one is pretty unique I think so I might keep it. I dunno. Edit: Changed it back. It feels weird for me too to have a different avatar :p

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #2,834 of 3,855

It's not to be dismissed, it's just a different format of the same info, basically. It's a raw graph because it's obvious. Like I said read Tyll's article and it will all become clear.

Raw graphs are actually better in some ways because everyone seems to use a different transfer function which is one reason why different people have different graphs of the same headphone.

​
Makes sense to me. I changed my avatar though mostly because people were thinking I was some huge anime fan when really I just liked that picture of the cartoon girl wearing HD650s. I might change it back I guess, but this one is pretty unique I think so I might keep it. I dunno. 
Edit: Changed it back. It feels weird for me too to have a different avatar :p

Maybe find a real girl to wear the 650 and a red coat and take a picture of her in that pose, so that when i glance at the picture quickly it will have the same basic color format? haha, but i see why that would annoy you and i also see why you would change your picture, and why you originally picked that one even though you aren't into anime. Maybe start watching a lot of anime? Might be easier than finding a girl to do all that.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #2,835 of 3,855

Quote:
Maybe find a real girl to wear the 650 and a red coat and take a picture of her in that pose, so that when i glance at the picture quickly it will have the same basic color format? haha, but i see why that would annoy you and i also see why you would change your picture, and why you originally picked that one even though you aren't into anime. Maybe start watching a lot of anime? Might be easier than finding a girl to do all that.

I like that idea actually. Not sure I could find one who'd consent to their picture on the internet though, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back