Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
May 7, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #241 of 3,855
Quote:
Yup, I ordered mine yesterday from Earphone Solutions and they shipped out today :D

Well, you better take pictures to confirm your story...yeah lots of pictures!
wink_face.gif

May 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #242 of 3,855
Looking forward to hear some reviews. After having my 750 DLs returned, I hope the SRH 940 is a vast improvement over the SRH 840. For $299.99 MSRP, if they are not in par with the Q701/ HD650 then I will try the ATH-M50s the second time. 

May 7, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #244 of 3,855
Got to admit, I'm interested. I didn't much like the 840's sound, but found the 750DJ's great (though I'm not a basshead, but something about the 840's sound just niggled at me.) I wonder where these are going to land - are they expected to be similar to the 840's? I love the look, as well - I only wish it would be metal!

May 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #245 of 3,855
I'll be sure to include a review.  I'll spend a couple weeks with them and write something up, and probably provide some initial impressions on this thread.

I'll include something similar to the format of the two I have written for the Senn HD 448 and PX 360.  If you think I'm missing something critical in that format let me know, I'm open to criticism!

I would love to have my hands on an SRH-840 for comparison as that would be most useful to those waiting on the purchase to see what kind of love (or hate) they get, but I'm not looking to purchase a set nor do I know anyone who has one I can use.  My apologies for that but I'm sure those comparisons will be made with other owners.  Even 32 ohm audio in Portland doesn't have Shures on the floor

My reference points will be the two lower end Sennheiser cans and then my CharterOak SP-1 (A sort of hybrid between an MB Quart QP450 and German Maestro GMP450 PRO).  For comparison, the price point order goes like this: Senn HD 448 < Senn PX 360 < Shure SRH940 < CharterOak SP-1.  Obviously this isn't tell-all but is certainly something to consider.  A review for the SP-1 should be up a few weeks later if you want to get an idea of what that headphone is like in order to better understand where I think the Shure sits.  I've been waiting to spend more time with my buddy's HD650 and Schitt Asgard setup to write a review for the SP-1, since their price point is similar and there is a large familiarity with the HD650 here.  I know that comparison is open v. closed as well but should still provide a decent reference.  The comparison of the Shure and my other three headphones I've spent a lot of time with are all of the closed nature, so that should be just fine.

I will also have access to a Beyer DT770 (32ohm) and will probably make some comparisons there too. 

And of course, PICS!

May 10, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #247 of 3,855
Nice!  So, you have them in your possession?  How's the sound quality so far?

May 10, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #248 of 3,855

Quote:
Nice!  So, you have them in your possession?  How's the sound quality so far?

The only thing I have to compare them to is my Beyer DT 770 82 Ohm's.... 

Not nearly the same amount of bass (by design of course)

Very sparkly top end. Vocals seem very centered compared to my Beyers. I think these just proved to me that I need a de-esser on my vox for my tracks. 

They sound very good overall. 

I like my Beyers more, but thats because i'm a bass freak.

May 10, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #249 of 3,855
I'm awful at describing sound and I only listened to them for an hour or so before I left work but they sound quite good. As people have said, the highs do seem to be more emphasized than the 840. Plus, they're definitely more comfortable.

I want to compare them directly to the 840 but mine is in for repair so I don't know how long it'll be before I can do that. For now I can compare to DT 250-80, K 271 MK II, and PX 200-II.

May 10, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #250 of 3,855
Mine just showed up.  I'll be putting them against my CharterOaks and Senn HD448 to get an idea of where I think they sit.

Initial impressions against the SP-1:  The Shures really show the emphasis the CharterOaks have in the midranges... I knew there was an emphasis, but throwing the Shures on really made it obvious.  I'm also noticing the Oaks roll off on the top end a little sooner than the Shures.  So far, that part I am most impressed with is the extension of the Shures in both directions.  I agree with the thought that these are polite in the low end... a little punch but nothing like a Beyer.  It has the type of low end I prefer and one very similar to my SP-1.  I also agree with the semi-sparkly treble, especially the upper treble and it is pretty well controlled (it doesn't appear to be too bright yet).  These Shures also aren't as nimble as my SP-1s I am finding.  I'm currently loving the balance the Shures offer though!  I love the fat midranges of my oaks, but there will certainly be room for a headphone that extends and is as balanced as this Shure is so far.  Should make an awesome portable for me, despite being a little large.

Physically the cans are impressive too, built pretty solid and the case is made well.

More later, of course!

May 10, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #251 of 3,855
Hmm, so better top-end extension than the SRH840, while at the same time not appearing too bright?  At least that is the impression I'm getting from the early adopters. 

May 10, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #252 of 3,855

Quote:
Looking forward to hear some reviews. After having my 750 DLs returned, I hope the SRH 940 is a vast improvement over the SRH 840. For $299.99 MSRP, if they are not in par with the Q701/ HD650 then I will try the ATH-M50s the second time. 

Why would they be on par with the HD-650 when that has a MSRP of $649.99 on their website
normal_smile%20.gif
I know what you mean though...
I'd feel really bad for anyone that pays MSRP for the HD-650 at that price. That's what it is on the Sennheiser website!

Wish I was made of money and could buy the SRH-940. Too many headphone and amp purchases lately. The SRH-840 was an old favorite, but DJ100 and KRK KNS-8400 has surpassed it as my favorite portable.

KRK KNS-8400 and SRH-940 would be a nice comparison. 940 would probably lose as a studio monitor, but maybe I'll be surprised!

$299 and all that plastic kind of hurts...Sorry, I had to say it.

May 11, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #255 of 3,855

Quote:
Thanks for the support. Hope you like them and post a review soon :)

My guess is probably late next week I'll post a review unless I feel like I need more time with them.  I should have an opportunity to not only put them against my SP-1 but also against a buddy's HD650 (although an open headphone).

Should be posting a review about the SP-1 around that time as well, which might be relevant because I'm guessing most are not familiar with the CharterOak... and reading it might help one better understand the comparisons I will be drawing.  I'll probably fit my HD 448 in there as well just to give an idea of where the Shure stands.  Wish I had an 840 to compare!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back