Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Nov 12, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #2,176 of 3,855
concerthalls will remain concerthalls....openfields will be openfields;
both are loved for their differences.
beerchug.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #2,177 of 3,855
Alright, so while i'm not one of the people disliking the bass coming out of these, i do want to see if i can mod them to get more impact out of them. So i threw some cotton(definitely helped my speakers) in the enclosure but that lowered the bass, i don't know why i thought it would do any different, cotton absorbs. Anyways, what mods do you guys think could be done to improve impact, i feel like these drivers are great but the enclosures aren't conductive to bass.

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #2,178 of 3,855
Quote:
Alright, so while i'm not one of the people disliking the bass coming out of these, i do want to see if i can mod them to get more impact out of them. So i threw some cotton(definitely helped my speakers) in the enclosure but that lowered the bass, i don't know why i thought it would do any different, cotton absorbs. Anyways, what mods do you guys think could be done to improve impact, i feel like these drivers are great but the enclosures aren't conductive to bass.

Look up the baka bass mod. He uses plumbers putty but you could probably use something like plasticine and get similar results.

My understanding is that loose cotton makes things brighter and gives you a bigger soundstage, at least on orthos.

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #2,179 of 3,855
Look up the baka bass mod. He uses plumbers putty but you could probably use something like plasticine and get similar results.

My understanding is that loose cotton makes things brighter and gives you a bigger soundstage, at least on orthos.

Cool i think i have some plumbers putty in the garage.
And that makes sense, cotton absorbs and properly treated rooms give the sound of a larger soundstage, and most treatment absorbs bass and reverb leaving you with a brighter sound.

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #2,180 of 3,855
Cool i think i have some plumbers putty in the garage.
And that makes sense, cotton absorbs and properly treated rooms give the sound of a larger soundstage, and most treatment absorbs bass and reverb leaving you with a brighter sound.

I think it's around page 53 of this thread is where the discussion begins. There are pics of it in my profile under Mtech. If you try it please let us know how it works.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #2,181 of 3,855
Just for the fun of it, I applied a huge bass boost equalizer to a track to see how it sounds. It actually sounds like a pretty good basshead can with the EQ, oddly enough...it's waaay too much bass for my liking, but it was entertaining to try out. For anyone who wants Beats-like bass, I think the 940's can handle EQ's exceptionally well (particularly the lower end). Mind the YouTube national anthem track, it was just for testing, hahahahahaha.

For anyone wondering, I was looking up RC circuits and voltage dividers for a bioengineers without borders club project for stethoscope.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #2,182 of 3,855

Quote:
Just for the fun of it, I applied a huge bass boost equalizer to a track to see how it sounds. It actually sounds like a pretty good basshead can with the EQ, oddly enough...it's waaay too much bass for my liking, but it was entertaining to try out. For anyone who wants Beats-like bass, I think the 940's can handle EQ's exceptionally well (particularly the lower end). Mind the YouTube national anthem track, it was just for testing, hahahahahaha.

Try to increase only the 32 hz slider that should  be enough , and more realistic.
You don't normally need to increase significantly the bass above 60 hz.
I would also decrease the value of the 8khz slider (because it's the only slider near 9khz, that your eq have)

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #2,183 of 3,855

Quote:

Try to increase only the 32 hz slider that should  be enough , and more realistic.
You don't normally need to increase significantly the bass above 60 hz.
I would also decrease the value of the 8khz slider (because it's the only slider near 9khz, that your eq have)

The 32 Hz slider doesn't really do much for the tracks in this album from what I can hear. What frequencies are in the mid-bass range? I was trying to apply an EQ that would produce a more fun, thumpier bass effect on techno/trance songs such as this.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #2,184 of 3,855
  Neutral is Audio Terms simply put (for the non-audiophiliac) is nothing added....nothing taken away. While no transducer is guiltless, a full-range stat' comes the closest (in the middle anyhow, as per my Quad 57) to doing the least amount of damage. These come mighty close for a cheap phone!!

A comparison on Acoustic Music I know well, Keith Jarrett at the Blue Note, The Complete Recordings (ECM). Using the Magnum modded (V3) Grado on the Arete/Volcano and modded Oppo 95 (a good "middle" system). I contrasted the differences in the phones vs. the 940. The Grado was soft focus with an artificial (but likeable) fullness on the mid-bass. The bass line of the Grado was richer but slower. Better texture and speed was actuality from the 940, it was superior in this instance. The treble was smeared by comparison to the Shure. Advantage Shure.... I like the Grado for a go-to comfort for the Audio digestion...they ain't neutral! With the Shure in tow I could discern the location of the Mic's on Jarrett's Piano in the club "Blue Note" setting......

You won't know the real/actual sound capabilities of a component using only instruments that need AC. Anything that plugs in is needing a PA cab to make it's Music, hence is distorted before it's born. So electronic is out for me as an evaluation tool....

If you use portable gear....OUCH! Just because they are easy to drive? That sets them up to fail! Being the "affordable" flagship and being paired with entry-level gear? DOUBLE-OUCH!! Nope these are not for everyone........but for me they are a GEM!

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #2,185 of 3,855

Quote:
I was trying to apply an EQ that would produce a more fun, thumpier bass effect on techno/trance songs such as this.

I  think it's not possible with eq only.
There's a free component for foobar called "real bass exciter", try it :
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=86083&mode=linearplus

The settings the author of dsp suggest:

Off course it would be better to try headphone more intended for techno , drum & bass etc...

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #2,187 of 3,855
I think it's around page 53 of this thread is where the discussion begins. There are pics of it in my profile under Mtech. If you try it please let us know how it works.

Okay so i finally got around to putting the plumbers putty in, and the result? It is heavier... the headphone that is, not the bass. Audibly the difference was, well, if you paid really really really really close attention you might find a tad bit more of a punch, or a longer decay of the bass note, but seriously im saying a tad bit. Ill define tad bit as 0.01 Db. It isn't worth it, i had to fill the entire cup full of it to get to that point(and i did try it with different amounts) and it weighed twice as much as it did before. For a placebo amount of bass.
But cotton did lower the bass enough for me to think there was more bass because i had forgotten what cup i put it in. The cup that didn't have the cotton ended up being the one with more bass. Someone might want to try it in the 840, see if it doesn't lower the mid bass hump. I filled the cup with a very tight layer of cotton from a pillow.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #2,188 of 3,855
I  love how the srh940 handle the bass in  this song : subtle, delicate, deep ... (wait until 30 sec)   You can find this title on buddha bar 13  ( Zeebee - Be My Sailor ):
Ive never liked dubstep other than this, maybe because it is not so dupstepy other than the wubwub and has that beautiful voice in the back.

I love how the 940 handles treble here, the wub-wub has so much bite, aggression, its a rock solid knife sharp edge that is the exact reason i bought these.

Redacted but you will find it in related videos if you are interested in artsy nudity
Okay nevermind i found a version of the song that isn't offensive. Here it is

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #2,189 of 3,855
Okay so i finally got around to putting the plumbers putty in, and the result? It is heavier... the headphone that is, not the bass. Audibly the difference was, well, if you paid really really really really close attention you might find a tad bit more of a punch, or a longer decay of the bass note, but seriously im saying a tad bit. Ill define tad bit as 0.01 Db. It isn't worth it, i had to fill the entire cup full of it to get to that point(and i did try it with different amounts) and it weighed twice as much as it did before. For a placebo amount of bass.
But cotton did lower the bass enough for me to think there was more bass because i had forgotten what cup i put it in. The cup that didn't have the cotton ended up being the one with more bass. Someone might want to try it in the 840, see if it doesn't lower the mid bass hump. I filled the cup with a very tight layer of cotton from a pillow.

Did you try it with only one cup or both? Either with the cotton or putty you have to use both cups. You can't A/B with one cup. Using only one cup is ineffective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back