Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #17,281 of 22,954
Man, that is some awesome trance. It's more of the original type which is always good. I'm more into the new school Anjunabeats stuff these days though. Anyway yeah once I cranked the volume to my normal listening level the treble got harsh. It definitely took over the song to my ears and made it unpleasant until I turned it down to half out of my iPhone. Reminder this is with the blue neutral filter and the rubber olive tips. Idk. Maybe I'm sensitive to treble. Probably why I prefer my dark-ish sounding Audezes driven by tubes vs brighter cans.

I'm still interested in what a high end dynamic driver like the Vega can pull off against the quad ba's in the 846. Headphones are a funny thing, you never know if they're to your liking until you listen. I think it'll be a good match at canjam. Winner comes home with me..loser stays or gets posted to the classifieds
smily_headphones1.gif

​Out of interest Kyle, have you ever heard Oppo PM3's? I found them so smooth that all music had the life taken out of it. But then others think they are great headphones and enjoy them. Like you say, everyone has their own flavour they like, be pretty boring here otherwise!

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #17,282 of 22,954
Do anyone know of a short cable, perhaps "neck style" to use on my Shure SE846 with the Noble Audio BTS? I would like a short cable so I'm able to just have the cable around my neck or something. The cable that comes with the Noble Audio BTS is not using MMCX so it won't work with my SE846.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #17,284 of 22,954
​Out of interest Kyle, have you ever heard Oppo PM3's? I found them so smooth that all music had the life taken out of it. But then others think they are great headphones and enjoy them. Like you say, everyone has their own flavour they like, be pretty boring here otherwise!

Yeah a friend of mine has those. Heard the PM1s too at canjam last year. You're right, both are super smooth and lush but no excitement. There's definitely stuff out there that delivers it all..exciting and engaging headphones that are smooth and non fatiguing. Like I said my LCD-4s and 3s before those do that all day. My 1More triple drivers pull it off too but their top end lacks detail.

Trust me I wish the 846s were the end of the line IEM for me but for my ears the highs get too aggressive and the soundstage is a little small. I could live with that if the treble wasn't so strong cuz the imaging, although very inside your head, is insanely good on the 846, but at this price level I need to have everything I like.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #17,285 of 22,954
Greetings

Kinda need advise, what is one of the best daps to use with shure 846, and is it advised to you high gain or low gain with the shure 846

cheers

Having tried a lot of DAPs, the Questyle QP1R is my favourite at any price. To better that, a Chord Mojo or Hugo DAC is an alternative.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #17,286 of 22,954
  Greetings

Kinda need advise, what is one of the best daps to use with shure 846, and is it advised to you high gain or low gain with the shure 846

cheers

Many DAPs work well with the 846.  I have tried Sony ZX2, AR M2, and Sony WM1Z.  The 846 scales very nicely as you improve your DAP or Amp. You hear more details as the equipment improves and when using the 846 balanced, the imaging takes off as well.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #17,288 of 22,954
Greetings

Thanks for the recommendations about daps, but now comes the question if it is advised for such a sensitive iem to use low gain or high gain on the daps mentioned

Also any cables or tips that are recommended to improve sound using the blue filter 

Cheers

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #17,289 of 22,954

Thanks for the recommendations about daps, but now comes the question if it is advised for such a sensitive iem to use low gain or high gain on the daps mentioned

Also any cables or tips that are recommended to improve sound using the blue filter 

Always use the lowest gain possible regardless of iem or headphone.  Higher noise floor is never beneficial :wink:

Personally always use Comply one size up from what "seals".  So for me medium seals so I use large so that it seals really well even if I move around.  Once warm they exert nearly no force unlike the Shure olives.

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #17,293 of 22,954
Cross-posted this to the Westone W80 thread:

www.earphonesolutions.com has the w80 (and w20 and Shure SE846) on sale for 30% off until the end of tonight with coupon code FLASH5.

Found this via https://reddit/r/headphones.

Bought the SE846 a week ago from them with a similar discount (thanks to someone posting in this thread). Just ordered the W80, code worked fine. They are an authorized dealer for both Shure and Westone.

Direct image link: https://i.imgur.com/4jO7R16.jpg

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #17,294 of 22,954
Hi everyone.
Some time ago I managed to fit IE800´s ear tips to SE846. For no reason at all, just curiosity if it was possible. However, to my surprise I found that there was a pleasant change in sound which I was not expecting. They provide slightly (but easily noticeably) more clarity, specially in high mids and highs compared to all other supplied Shure ear tips and punchier bass.  Now the sound is somewhat more alive which I liked very much (I prefer the large ear tips, seems to have better effect).  So for those curious to try it out there is a quick guide to how to fit the ear tips:

You will need:
-Teabag (empty)
-Scissors
-IE800´s ear tips

Why it is possible? I think because of the nozzle design of the SE846:

1. Cut 3 or 4 teabag squares of about 1-1.5 cm and put them on top of the IE800´s ear tip:

2. With the SE846´s nozzle gently push it until it reaches the mesh, twist a little to make sure it fits well:

3. Remove the teabag filter and cut it at the top:

4. Put it back inside the ear tip. Now it should fit better, twist it gently until it stays secure. If not, you can add another layer of teabag filter paper. Then carefully remove excess paper with scissors and it is done. If done correctly you will be able to remove and put again the IE800´s ear tips without a problem.

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #17,295 of 22,954
Greetings

I tried one of my cables that is mmcx and I do not know why there is cut out on the left side when I use that cable, but when I use the same cable on another iem with mmcx there is no cut out

Also I noticed a big big difference with the new cable in means of sound loudness, with new cable which is Stranded 6N OCC Copper
and 8 braid, everything sounds bigger louder and better but sometimes the bass gets congested. I do not know what impedance that cable is. But the difference is huge playing it from my zx2 when I switch back to stock cable everything gets quieter and less grand. I never heard a difference using different cables on iems like with shure 846 the difference is really huge.

My only concern is the cutout in the left side, and why the bass and the sound can become muffled and I hear sometimes that there is energy in the iems when I plug them into the zx2 unlike the stock cable which is kinds quiet 

Does Shure use specific connectors and not mmcx

With stock cable everything is fine

Any recommendations for a great cable that can help in increasing sound stage and add an improvement as overall to the shure 846 without reducing bass or mids

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back