Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #16,187 of 22,954
To all those not in the loop, Axtran bought my SE846s off me on Reddit (I'm assuming the Reddit Axtran is the same one as the Head-Fi one ;P).

I thought your name was familiar and I knew I had seen it somewhere when I saw your PM, but I figured it must've been from another r/AVexchange post. lmao

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #16,188 of 22,954
At my suggestion Shure has assembled a team to look into the issue of SE846 housing bits chipping off as time passes by.

I have already provided then with pics of three SE846s exhibiting that flaw.

If anybody does notice that bits of plastic have chipped off at the seam of the housings please PM with a picture so that i can send them to the Shure rep that is at helm.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #16,189 of 22,954
At my suggestion Shure has assembled a team to look into the issue of SE846 housing bits chipping off as time passes by.

If anybody does notice that bits of plastic have chipped off at the seam of the housings please PM with a picture so that i can send them to the Shure rep that is at helm.

Were all of the examples the clear shelled ones? Or have you found it in the solid colored ones as well?

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #16,190 of 22,954

Can you share a picture of your 846's so we can have better understanding of what are you talkin about?
And notice in the future if such effect occurs

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #16,192 of 22,954
Last week i noticed that without having suffered any drop, shock or mishandling my 1.5 year old right Shure SE846 had lost a bit of plastic at the seam between the shells.

I got a new pair under warranty but i am still worried about that incident cause i know of other folks that have faced the same issue. And in 6 months i will be out of warranty so the next missing bit of shell can be really expensive to get fixed. In the hefty price tag of the SE846 sturdiness was included or so did i think. Fortunately Shure is very committed to quality so they will look into that nasty issue.

I got in touch with a high rank Shure rep and he has commanded to a few product guys to carefully look into my faulty pair. I have provided him with pictures from another user whose unit has lost a piece of shell at almost the same spot.

I think it could help if i could provide Shure with more pictures or similar chipping off issues. So if your Se846 have suffered from tiny bits chipping off please PM.

aa416c71695942dbf0327fecc7ee7834.jpg

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #16,193 of 22,954
So i got the SE846 today,

Initial impressions; iv been using them for about 4 ours to make an early judgement but quite dissapointed, using the nuetral blue filter im getting an overly dark and congested presentation. resolution and detail seems to be there but its hard to pluck out from tracks, soundstage is quite small and also the highs sound a bit muted. Honestly im not very impressed for a £850 in ear.

i tried the white filter but the treble was too splashy and the black filter made everything even darker. 

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #16,194 of 22,954
Anyone got any recomendations for a dac/amp to use with the Shure SE846? I hear the Mojo does great for portable use, would Shiit Jotunheim + Shiit Bitfrost Multibit work well for a desktop setup or are there better solutions?

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #16,195 of 22,954
  So i got the SE846 today,

Initial impressions; iv been using them for about 4 ours to make an early judgement but quite dissapointed, using the nuetral blue filter im getting an overly dark and congested presentation. resolution and detail seems to be there but its hard to pluck out from tracks, soundstage is quite small and also the highs sound a bit muted. Honestly im not very impressed for a £850 in ear.

i tried the white filter but the treble was too splashy and the black filter made everything even darker. 

I think a number of us have shared those impressions - to varying degrees. I'd suggest checking out @Jamnperry's thread on filter mods for the SE846:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802350/se846-filter-mod

I found his Knowles-damper mod improved both FR and clarity, especially in the treble.

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #16,196 of 22,954

I think a number of us have shared those impressions - to varying degrees. I'd suggest checking out @Jamnperry's thread on filter mods for the SE846:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802350/se846-filter-mod

I found his Knowles-damper mod improved both FR and clarity, especially in the treble.

thanks for the link im gonna try removing the foam from the blue filters first.

Edit; quick impression with blue filter foam removed, i like the clarity boost but the treble seems a lot thinner and slightly sibilant?

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #16,197 of 22,954
Sadly, that my impression as well in a short listening demo. Many years of ER4s+HD580, B&W and Klipsch speakers must have altered my ideal response curve. I was hoping the set I listened to was an outlier

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #16,198 of 22,954
For the brain to adjust to a new sound signature a few days (if not weeks) are needed.

On the spot assessments are treacherous. Ears used to a sound signature tend to reject a different one. They do not seem to like at first being pushed out of the comfort zone.

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #16,199 of 22,954
ZX2 to SE846 via LDAC

Not bad, but certainly doesn't match up to the SE846 with some balanced cable into the ZX2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back