Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #15,451 of 22,954
Jun 5, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #15,453 of 22,954
Quite funny, I ended up on utube today watching a SE846 review from a reviewer who usually does smartphones, gaming, everything in the mainstream. When this guy reviewed SE846 (actually in 2014) the mainstream consumers just couldn't fathom the price and cost of SE846. They just don't seem to grasp the concept making all these jokes and humorous posts in the comments section. For someone like me and many of us where portable audio is second nature or a second home it was odd reading all those comments today.

They honestly have no idea this little world exists...

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #15,454 of 22,954
  Quite funny, I ended up on utube today watching a SE846 review from a reviewer who usually does smartphones, gaming, everything in the mainstream. When this guy reviewed SE846 (actually in 2014) the mainstream consumers just couldn't fathom the price and cost of SE846. They just don't seem to grasp the concept making all these jokes and humorous posts in the comments section. For someone like me and many of us where portable audio is second nature or a second home it was odd reading all those comments today.

They honestly have no idea this little world exists...

Yeah.. people tend to be like that. They'll buy $200 pants, $1000 handbags or some other overly expensive stuff, but then be like, omg, how could you buy expensive headhones? I don't know, why don't you buy your clothes at the salvation army? :xf_eek:

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #15,455 of 22,954

Yeah.. people tend to be like that. They'll buy $200 pants, $1000 handbags or some other overly expensive stuff, but then be like, omg, how could you buy expensive headhones? I don't know, why don't you buy your clothes at the salvation army? :xf_eek:

Indeed. 
smile.gif

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #15,456 of 22,954
More than 2.5 years owned for me, maybe three years now.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #15,457 of 22,954
More than 2.5 years owned for me, maybe three years now.

Thanks. good to know...

Listening or owned? Why the question?

Actually in Asia shure's warranty is of only 1 year, so i think sometimes if it fails i would be totally heartbroken and would miss such a wonderful sound, and at this level you can only go up and there is no going back ...

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #15,458 of 22,954

...Actually in Asia shure's warranty is of only 1 year, so i think sometimes if it fails i would be totally heartbroken and would miss such a wonderful sound, and at this level you can only go up and there is no going back ...

Most IEM companies are willing to work with you if something should fail, you can always give that a try if anything should happen.  There have been instances of the Shure SE846 needing replacing, but those instances (at least on this thread) are very few and far between.  Demonstrating proof of purchase and a explanation of the situation (while being courteous) should result in having your issue(s) taken care of one way or another.  I've had mine for quite a while, exhibit to a lot of people at meets to listen, and still, zero issues with my Shure SE846.  Playtime is definitely in at least the 1000 hour range (more than likely a lot more since I use it for comparison reviews as well).

Good luck! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #15,460 of 22,954
Thanks. good to know...

Actually in Asia shure's warranty is of only 1 year, so i think sometimes if it fails i would be totally heartbroken and would miss such a wonderful sound, and at this level you can only go up and there is no going back ...

Yap, not sure why the differences in warranty policy, found a shell defect in my 846 while under the impression that I am covered for 2 year. Only to discover the sad truth and Shure Asia will not entertain.

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #15,461 of 22,954

The converse therefore holds true then, cannot understand why head fiers cannot appreciate the fine craftsmanship of a pair of St Crispin's or the beauty of a pair of John Lobb :wink:

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #15,463 of 22,954
http://s33.postimg.org/miw7slc0f/IMG_0863.jpg

I’ve been a full-time mastering engineer for the last 16 years, and recently I wanted something that would let me work remotely out of the studio now that I’m living in Europe and traveling more.  Nothing that needed to replace my primary studio monitors (Tyler Acoustic D2x’s), but at least something that were reasonably accurate so I could still consult with clients on their tracks before they send them in for mastering. 

I’ve been a long fan of Shure IEMs, having used the E2c’s, E3’s, and most recently the SE425 for the last few years.  For some reason I’ve always found working in IEMs translated better than normal headphones like my Focal Spirit Pros, LCD-X, or any of the Sennheiser cans I’ve owned over the years.  So I was very keen to try the 846’s, especially as I mostly work with electronic music and the low end on the 425’s was definitely not accurate enough for me to work from.   They will typically be driven by a Lynx Hilo DAC, using the stock comply foam tips.

I spent the first week with the 846’s just breaking them in and trying all the different filter options, and re-trying the different tips.  Right away I could hear a huge improvement on the low end compared to any other headphones I’ve owned, scary how good they sound on deep bass in fact.  Definitely more than good enough for me to judge client work on the road with.  

Imaging is nice too, though I’ve been also experimenting with Can Opener during this time, both the iOS version and the Studio plug in Goodhertz also makes.  Neat app, I like it for enjoyment listening, though for work related duties sometimes I feel it masks imaging issues instead of enhancing them.  Still doesn’t sound like the imaging on my full-range speakers either.  :) 

I struggled for awhile to find the right filter set up that gave me a revealing midrange without it being too harsh over longer listening session.  After a lot of trial and error, I settled on the stock blue filters with one of the foam pieces removed.  I also made sure that the remaining foam piece was centered inside the nozzle.  Surprisingly placing the foam too far in or too close to the end of the nozzle changed the tone noticeably, but dead center suited me the best.

Another thing I liked over the SE425’s was that the bodies of the phones are more rounded and actually a bit smaller inside my ear, so while they stick out a bit farther to the side than I’m used to, they fit much better overall.  The cable is a real improvement over the SE425’s too, which I know is polarizing for some people.  I like the robust feel of it, and the pieces that go over your ears are very comfortable for me.  Overall the SE846’s are a lot better than I was expecting, and I think will work perfectly for the remote work I need to do outside the studio.  

Sadly, a week after I received them the left earpiece started getting a buzzing inside on loud bass notes.  Thomann.de where I bought them have been great with the replacement process though.  So while it sucked having to send them back for replacement so soon after getting them, the new pair is already on their way back to me.  Can’t wait to use them when I return to Seattle in a few weeks.  These are quite possibly the nicest headphones I’ve ever used.

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #15,464 of 22,954
I am new in the upper end IEM - apologies for the lack of knowledge first - my previously owned headphones are:

* Sony MDR V770DJ
* Bose QC2, QC20i
* Grado SR-80
* Parrot ZIK 2.0

My experience have been the Parrot is probably the "best" quality so far. 

I accidentally saw an article on the Shure 846 and saw the "its amazing, groundbreaking, etc." reviews from every reviewer that tried them until I saw the price tag.

But I decided to try anyway - now I have them on, plugged them in my iPhone 6S and.....was dissapointed. 

I tried a FLAC player and download some FLAC songs to try......and still dissapointed - the songs does not seem very clear like they are a bit muffled. 

For example, I have heard an expert violin play live and it was an amazing listening experience - very crisp and sharp, very much tugging on the emotions.

On the Shure with FLAC audio through the iPhone 6S, it was rather muddied sounding. I am referring to Chris Botti - Live in Boston - Emmanuel song.

Am I missing something here? Does the earphones need a DAC? I do own an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC which never quite worked on the headphones/earphones I have - I could not tell the difference. I have not tried the DAC on the Shure 846.

I was hoping to use the setup with Apple Music on the iPhone 6S.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #15,465 of 22,954
@ gonsped
I started with an iPhone 6 and the IE80's. This produced a pretty good sound and far better than what the average person uses. Recently I purchased the SE846 and noticed a big difference in audio quality. I use the Capriccio audio player. I've been told though that the music quality becomes even better with a standalone DAC and am currently considering a Skyn, a Chord Mojo, or a standalone player such as an A&K. I'm leaning towards the Mojo at the moment, but am waiting to see what the iPhone 7 will be compatible with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back