Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #10,246 of 22,954
Yes but Shure made sure it was taken care of so kudos to them much appreciated...the problem was all the issues locally as well as travel expense and having to send a email In the first place but this wasn't the first time I've experienced this here as I'm American but it's ok.....and if this is your name in your sig. Shot then I know you "maybe". :relieved: as you will know me as well I may have purchased some audio equipment from you a couple of years ago as you later purchased some gear from me as well both of us were also on sulit long ago...as well as pinoy dvd....but if not it's cool ....The SE846 are really good IEMs it's the filter choices that get you as well as the great overall sound....

I might not be the same person you know, since I never really sold anything online yet. But I did make purchases through Sulit before (though none of them audio related). I'm glad you got things sorted out on your end. :)

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #10,249 of 22,954
  I've also considered the Noble K10, but those are just too expensive for me atm. 

Yeah, $1,599 for the K10 up to $2,899 (USD) for the Prestige K10 for an arguably marginal increase of fidelity (and not in every frequency range compared to the SE846 + SCS in my opinion) is definitely a hard pill to swallow.

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #10,250 of 22,954
Update: I just replaced the Filters on the 846's, (same color. Black), and it made a Huge difference. I got a set of new filters when my 846's were serviced last week. I thought I would try changing them. I'm glad I did. As, I'm very pleased with the change. I wonder why the original filters were bad?. Maybe plugged-up? Although, they never sounded this good. Thanks again for the advice here. I'm a happy camper now. They are the best IEM's I have ever had. Period. Sound is amazing.

I am glad you figured things out.  The Shure SE846s are the most amazing IEMs I have ever owned!

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #10,251 of 22,954

Yeah, $1,599 for the K10 up to $2,899 (USD) for the Prestige K10 for an arguably marginal increase of fidelity (and not in every frequency range compared to the SE846 + SCS in my opinion) is definitely a hard pill to swallow.

Price to quality difference really narrows down dramatically after about $500.  My Shure 846 is not 3-4 times better than my Fidue A83.  And I doubt that an A&K240 is 5X better than either my Pono or Fiio X5.  

Better is better, but unless you have money to throw around, at a certain point it's good to stop and think, uh, what am I doing here?  

Of course, if I want the best, and I can afford the best (or can hide the purchase from my wife and not care what kind of school my kid will attend), then why not?  
smile.gif

Oh wait, that's what they call an addiction.  
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #10,252 of 22,954

It doesn't really matter what the price of the K10 is since you cannot get one unless you are wiling to wait many months (maybe years). I've had a K10U on order since they were announced and my dealer still says there is no delivery in sight. When Apple issues a new product they have millions of units in stock waiting for sale. A small company like Noble issues a new product and they can't deliver. Doesn't really matter what it sounds like or what it costs if you can't buy it. The Shure 846 is available all over the globe in stock. They know how to do business. While noble is horsing around trying to learn manufacturing I'm enjoying my 846.

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #10,253 of 22,954
It doesn't really matter what the price of the K10 is since you cannot get one unless you are wiling to wait many months (maybe years). I've had a K10U on order since they were announced and my dealer still says there is no delivery in sight. When Apple issues a new product they have millions of units in stock waiting for sale. A small company like Noble issues a new product and they can't deliver. Doesn't really matter what it sounds like or what it costs if you can't buy it. The Shure 846 is available all over the globe in stock. They know how to do business. While noble is horsing around trying to learn manufacturing I'm enjoying my 846.

I did not (and won't/can't) mention other factors why I wouldn't purchase a K10 (including long [6-8 week or longer] wait time), but you bring up very important and valid points. Other manufacturers can create and deliver a CIEM in a much shorter amount of time. And yes, it is an immense plus to enjoy a hand-crafted product such as the SE846 almost immediately if you order it or immediately if you purchase at a location such as an InMotion store.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #10,254 of 22,954
Yes but Shure made sure it was taken care of so kudos to them much appreciated...the problem was all the issues locally as well as travel expense and having to send a email In the first place but this wasn't the first time I've experienced this here as I'm American but it's ok.....and if this is your name in your sig. Shot then I know you "maybe". :relieved: as you will know me as well I may have purchased some audio equipment from you a couple of years ago as you later purchased some gear from me as well both of us were also on sulit long ago...as well as pinoy dvd....but if not it's cool ....The SE846 are really good IEMs it's the filter choices that get you as well as the great overall sound....

I might not be the same person you know, since I never really sold anything online yet. But I did make purchases through Sulit before (though none of them audio related). I'm glad you got things sorted out on your end. :)

Ahhh ok understood ......:yum: thanks .....yes they took care of it though it seemed very reluctantly...but never the less all is well ...

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #10,255 of 22,954
I did not (and won't/can't) mention other factors why I wouldn't purchase a K10 (including long [6-8 week or longer] wait time), but you bring up very important and valid points. Other manufacturers can create and deliver a CIEM in a much shorter amount of time. And yes, it is an immense plus to enjoy a hand-crafted product such as the SE846 almost immediately if you order it or immediately if you purchase at a location such as an InMotion store.

Yeah I've seen you lurking on their forum a while back....I had been considering the K10U and had been thinking about it again as of late...if I may ask if you've had a listen to them could you compair the slight differences if any between them just from a personal view point? I've has the 8s for a long time now and really enjoy the sound I've helped come up with the black filter mod way back.....and have tried recently going filter less or after burner as some have called and like this set up as well even though it's usually a toss up between this and the white filter .....was tempted to rip out the bottom mesh material at the bottom of the white just to see how it sounds as you can always order new filters ....haven't went that far yet but it's tempting :smiling_imp:

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #10,256 of 22,954
Yeah I've seen you lurking on their forum a while back....I had been considering the K10U and had been thinking about it again as of late...if I may ask if you've had a listen to them could you compair the slight differences if any between them just from a personal view point? I've has the 8s for a long time now and really enjoy the sound I've helped come up with the black filter mod way back.....and have tried recently going filter less or after burner as some have called and like this set up as well even though it's usually a toss up between this and the white filter .....was tempted to rip out the bottom mesh material at the bottom of the white just to see how it sounds as you can always order new filters ....haven't went that far yet but it's tempting :smiling_imp:

If you have seen me "lurk" on the Noble thread (if you mean posting on the primary and secondary Noble threads ever since I joined Head-Fi, then sure) then you should have read my comparisons regarding the K10 in this thread.  If not, then check it out - it's in here.  As for the taking credit/helping come up with the mods, it has been great that members have posted their thoughts and impressions about modding (foam damper removing from the blue filters, cutting the foam and filter out [not advisable], using different damper materials, etcetera) before and after you first posted about the black filter mod.  There are probably SE846 users who don't post on Head-Fi that modded even before Head-Fi members started posting about it.  
normal_smile .gif
  As for repurchasing filters, I for one will never want to go through the embarrassment of purchasing the exorbitantly priced filters again.  If you need to know something specific about the K10 and the SE846 (I am assuming you want me to compare the differences between the SE846 and not the entire Noble lineup - not exactly sure what you mean by "them"), then please send me a PM, and I'll help you out regarding your inquiries as best as I can.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #10,258 of 22,954
Where did you end up purchasing replacement filters?  From Shure itself or from another source?  Sorry I think I missed that post.

When I contacted Shure support last year because I was unable to find or purchase the nozzle inserts/filters via their online store, they responded: "You can call 800-516-2525 opt. 3 for parts to place an order." Calling Shure was (and probably currently is) the only way to purchase the filters.

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #10,259 of 22,954
If you have seen me "lurk" on the Noble thread (if you mean posting on the primary and secondary Noble threads ever since I joined Head-Fi, then sure) then you should have read my comparisons regarding the K10 in this thread.  If not, then check it out - it's in here.  As for the taking credit/helping come up with the mods, it has been great that members have posted their thoughts and impressions about modding (foam damper removing from the blue filters, cutting the foam and filter out [not advisable], using different damper materials, etcetera) before and after you first posted about the black filter mod.  There are probably SE846 users who don't post on Head-Fi that modded even before Head-Fi members started posting about it.  
normal_smile%20.gif
  As for repurchasing filters, I for one will never want to go through the embarrassment of purchasing the exorbitantly priced filters again.  If you need to know something specific about the K10 and the SE846 (I am assuming you want me to compare the differences between the SE846 and not the entire Noble lineup - not exactly sure what you mean by "them"), then please send me a PM, and I'll help you out regarding your inquiries as best as I can.

Yes I saw you lurking there before as kids these days get up and jumpy I didn't mean anything by it more as just saying I saw you there so I thought that you would maybe have some experience with these ....I was just going to purchase them here but I'm always just picking things up trying them out and this time sir I just thought I'd ask you and maybe get a quick response nothing too detailed because I for one respected your personal thoughts on some gear here .....I've never been into much portable gear more home audio and other gear ....but I decided to jump in as this was a good time too being tied up in some things here....when I do get time I'll have a look or rather search to see if I can find your write up but I was just looking for a short reply you know ? A quick summary .....

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #10,260 of 22,954

Price to quality difference really narrows down dramatically after about $500.  My Shure 846 is not 3-4 times better than my Fidue A83.  And I doubt that an A&K240 is 5X better than either my Pono or Fiio X5.  

Better is better, but unless you have money to throw around, at a certain point it's good to stop and think, uh, what am I doing here?  

Of course, if I want the best, and I can afford the best (or can hide the purchase from my wife and not care what kind of school my kid will attend), then why not?  
smile.gif

Oh wait, that's what they call an addiction.  
confused_face_2.gif

Thats exactly true for me, I need to ask the store owner to make up a fake invoice for a smaller amount and make the purchase in person on cash basis to avoid any audit trail. As I never purchase any HI-FI for more than twenty years and I need the best I can afford now, I jump direclty to SE846 and AK120II. I really amazed at how good the sound this combination can produce compared to those of twenty years ago. I just have the courage to change to white filter today. It sounds very nice in the treble with good extension with those DSD64 files and I didn't notice any decrease in Mid or bass. I think I will stick to this with the balanced copper cable for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back