Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #10,231 of 22,954
Thanks for the info! Goodluck with it! 

Update: I just replaced the Filters on the 846's, (same color. Black), and it made a Huge difference. I got a set of new filters when my 846's were serviced last week. I thought I would try changing them. I'm glad I did. As, I'm very pleased with the change. I wonder why the original filters were bad?. Maybe plugged-up? Although, they never sounded this good. Thanks again for the advice here. I'm a happy camper now. They are the best IEM's I have ever had. Period. Sound is amazing.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #10,232 of 22,954
Update: I just replaced the Filters on the 846's, (same color. Black), and it made a Huge difference. I got a set of new filters when my 846's were serviced last week. I thought I would try changing them. I'm glad I did. As, I'm very pleased with the change. I wonder why the original filters were bad?. Maybe plugged-up? Although, they never sounded this good. Thanks again for the advice here. I'm a happy camper now. They are the best IEM's I have ever had. Period. Sound is amazing.

The original nozzle inserts/filters were 'bad' because more than likely they were 'plugged up' from the dirt, dander, sweat, cerumen, etc. that builds up and clogs the pores of the blue and black (unmodded) filters.  That was one of the reasons why I went modded anyways, because when I spoke to Shure support about my clogged blue filters (discussed more in depth in my SCS review), they said that anything at the molecular level can clog up the filters.  I did not want to have any type of negatively perceived sound signature change regarding the filters slowly clogging up, reducing the overall sound signature satisfaction of the SE846 - consequently modding the filters.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #10,233 of 22,954
The original nozzle inserts/filters were 'bad' because more than likely they were 'plugged up' from the dirt, dander, sweat, cerumen, etc. that builds up and clogs the pores of the blue and black (unmodded) filters.  That was one of the reasons why I went modded anyways, because when I spoke to Shure support about my clogged blue filters (discussed more in depth in my SCS review), they said that anything at the molecular level can clog up the filters.  I did not want to have any type of negatively perceived sound signature change regarding the filters slowly clogging up, reducing the overall sound signature satisfaction of the SE846 - consequently modding the filters.

Good t know. Thanks. I'm not going to do any "modding" to these now. As, I don't want to mess with an already great sounding IEM. Your information is helpful. Thank You.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #10,234 of 22,954
Good t know. Thanks. I'm not going to do any "modding" to these now. As, I don't want to mess with an already great sounding IEM. Your information is helpful. Thank You.

No worries.  As for the "modding", the foam dampers that can be removed ("modding") can be put back in - and I understand not wanting to mess with anything, as some people do not like to change anything the manufacturer has created.  The white filter as well is foam damper-less so that is another option to not have to mod anything - as the sound signature shouldn't be adversely 'changed' since there are no foam dampers in the filters that can get clogged.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #10,235 of 22,954
No worries.  As for the "modding", the foam dampers that can be removed ("modding") can be put back in - and I understand not wanting to mess with anything, as some people do not like to change anything the manufacturer has created.  The white filter as well is foam damper-less so that is another option to not have to mod anything - as the sound signature shouldn't be adversely 'changed' since there are no foam dampers in the filters that can get clogged.

Thanks a lot. I read your in depth review of the custom molds. Wow, very informative. You put a lot of effort into it. So helpful to everyone. I found the Blue and White Filters a bit too Bright for my taste. Black works best with my silicon tips. Thanks again.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #10,236 of 22,954
Thanks a lot. I read your in depth review of the custom molds. Wow, very informative. You put a lot of effort into it. So helpful to everyone. I found the Blue and White Filters a bit too Bright for my taste. Black works best with my silicon tips. Thanks again.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it.  I never talk about what goes into a review like that, but...it would be a lot easier if I owned a professional type of camera, because every clear looking picture that is posted with my point and shoot takes like 3-6 shots, editing, and deciding which pictures to publish. Multiply that by a lot of posted pictures (and non-posted pictures) and it takes a long time to get everything looking okay.  
bigsmile_face.gif
  And glad you found the color filters that work for your setup!

I still can't wait for CanJam!  I haven't been this excited for an event for a while.  I'll be auditioning exhibited MMCX cables as well to see if they synergize well with the SE846.

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #10,237 of 22,954
I noticed just now that I only have 2 white and black filters in the package, but doesn't have an extra blue filter in the box after I bought SE846 for three months. Is this box missing one blue filter?

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #10,242 of 22,954
Two blues>one in each ear piece; a pair of whites and a pair of blacks in silver container.  Each earpiece can hold one filter.  That means one filter for each earpiece.  Unless you are saying that yours came with only one blue filter in only one of the earpieces and the other earpiece was empty, I'm not sure what you are saying.  

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #10,245 of 22,954
A lot of these people are correct with a lot that is said .....it's been a real eye opener being in parts of Asia they are very happy to sell you things but don't try to return it just because"like in the states" they will look at it like it has the instant death disease they won't take it .....I never even mentioned my experience with the local Shure dealer here in Manila, as this was why I was absent from this thread for a while didn't really feel like saying much" man I has had a loose nozzle on my left IEM didn't seem major but I figured since it was still under warranty I should send it in...they didn't at first want to take it then was told to take it to another place went there and was sent back to,d them I came here because this is where they were purchased from...they were finally sent to a service center...bad experience :see_no_evil: after being returned they were brought to me only to open the box and find the same exact IEMs in the box with masking tape around my pair of SE846 I was like what the L? They did nothing ....was going to take them back but decided to send Shure an email...it was answered right away but being in Asia I was treated like I was from here with a reply to return them for another check...as the email wasn't sent to Shure In the states but to Shure here in Asia...I replied I want this email to be sent to Shure in the US where I'm from I explained about the service that should be provided and how I paid for these and for the money I expect better...I told them I had had two sets of Sennhieser iE800s and one pair didn't have any problems at all getting another pair when sent back "cables" the other pair took longer but they were replaced not serviced" one day later I received a reply to return them to the dealer where I brought them and they would replace them so I did they weren't very friendly about it so I knew that the reply was not even from the dealer but from Shure in Asia I think HK and when the dealer here in Manila gave me a new pair it was just the IEMs didn't give me anything else with them not a complete package as I didn't send the small case and filters back but everything else was in the box....man it was like a bad show....so yes they were probably made to do it as I explained to them that I was a member here and that I would let it be known and point them out because I felt it was bad service for a top IEM....I never mentioned any names, but when I hear you say this I just think....Ive brought tons of gear here and most didn't even get to check it out in a proper environment before purchase so yes to go by info provided, knowledge, as well as reviews are very important in this part of the world...because sometimes it's all you have to go on before purchase other times not so just depends...but don't return something just because you said you don't like it or it didn't fit in to your plan because you will be out of luck most if not all the time, and will be on your own to resell it..for which I've done before as well..it should be differnt because some people do not have lots of disposable income to just throw away......That's why when Egg Head Audio opened up here I was like this is good because they have a policy more like back home in the states...You can come in test items out gear and all...and returns are made really smooth and hassle free with you also being able to purchase demo units if they are available and more it's really a pleasant experience from most that I've seen....but they aren't a Shure dealer...

Now that's scary, especially since I like you am from Manila. You don't have to mention names since there really is only 1 authorized Shure reseller here.

That said, my past experience with Shure customer service wasn't as bad as yours. I once had a problem with a pair of SE425's I bought from Hong Kong, but since I was in Manila, Shure coursed me through here. Turned out the crackling on one earpiece was caused by a dirty plug. I cleaned it myself and it was good. The dealer here in Manila was ready to take it back, but I decided not to pursue it.

The thing is, I'd never try to go through the dealer first. In my experience with local retailers, that's just asking to be ignored. I once bought a watch from Tissot here in Manila, turned out that the dial/bezel was looser than it should have been. I haven't worn the watch, and was back at them aless than a week after purchase and they wouldn't take it back. I emailed Tissot and they sent out a notice on their distributor and I got a replacement from that same store. Their general manager here even had the nerve to tell me I should have talked to her first rather than go straight to Tissot. I take it was an embarassing situation for them.

I always found it best to email the manufacturer first, that way I had their backing when I visited their local distributor. Good manufacturers like Shure will back their products, and they have the power to strong-arm their dealers here.

I've made a few purchases with Egghead recently. It's a nice store, good bunch. There are more and more stores here that are now allowing you to audition headphones and IEMs before you make your purchase decision, which is a good thing. To my knowledge though, Shure's local distributor is yet to allow auditioning of their IEMs. It's sad really, it's a lost chance at a sale. I auditioned the 846 during a trip to Hong Kong.

Glad to hear from a fellow 846 owner here in Manila. I take it there aren't many of us. :)

Yes but Shure made sure it was taken care of so kudos to them much appreciated...the problem was all the issues locally as well as travel expense and having to send a email In the first place but this wasn't the first time I've experienced this here as I'm American but it's ok.....and if this is your name in your sig. Shot then I know you "maybe". :relieved: as you will know me as well I may have purchased some audio equipment from you a couple of years ago as you later purchased some gear from me as well both of us were also on sulit long ago...as well as pinoy dvd....but if not it's cool ....The SE846 are really good IEMs it's the filter choices that get you as well as the great overall sound....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back