Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #10,126 of 22,954
If you think everything I stated is wrong (or "don't think" this and "not realistic" that) without trying it yourself, then it will 100% be of no use to you.

Again with the return policies (replacement, store credit, etcetera), it is the nature of the auditory bliss searching beast. If it is that much of an issue for someone, find a company that offers exemplary return policies and purchase from them. If a certain manufacturer's policy is not in your best interest, then you have the option to not purchase from them, and move on.

I am basing what I'm posting based on experience and what has worked for me and other out-of-U.S. residents. If you believe that sending a demo unit is a dream to you, then no matter what people say or write based on facts and their own experiences, then it will be a dream - to you.

The culture is just plain different, it's hard enough to get (and failed) Shure Hong Kong to fix the E500 cable issue even when I offered to pay for it.

Return policies are VERY different outside the US, for example westone, shure re-sellers will not accept returns just because you don't like it, that cuts out most high mid-high end.

So you are saying instead of reading reviews of SE846 in THIS thread, people should move on? Well there isn't many companies left, name 3 companies that you can return a $500+ product just because you don't like it in an Asian country or willing to ship to Asia.

What are these examples of not US/EU residents? any example of AK100/AK240/chord hugo/Sony products that are willing to send to an asian country, that don't have a website/youtube following/top contributor in Head-Fi? Reputation matters.

If what you are saying actually works, everyone on the realvant threads should flood westone and shure for a pair of W60/Se846 for demo, unfortunately that's not how the world works...

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #10,127 of 22,954
Wow! When  I lived in Southern California it was still part of the U.S. but that was a long time ago. We don't get all the news here.

I am not completely understanding your post, but Southern California is exactly what it is, the southern part of California. California is an immensely huge state and saying the I reside in California does not pinpoint the area of the state that I live in at all. At least saying (or stating in my "Location") that I reside in Southern California means that I reside somewhere in between as north as Santa Maria/Bakersfield/Ridgecrest/Needles and as south as San Ysidro and Calexico.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #10,128 of 22,954
I am not completely understanding your post, but Southern California is exactly what it is, the southern part of California. California is an immensely huge state and saying the I reside in California does not pinpoint the area of the state that I live in at all. At least saying (or stating in my "Location") that I reside in Southern California means that I reside somewhere in between as north as Santa Maria/Bakersfield/Ridgecrest/Needles and as south as San Ysidro and Calexico.

Clam down I was just making a joke to lighten things up.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #10,129 of 22,954
Clam down I was just making a joke to lighten things up.

Very tough to understand if you were making a joke or otherwise, and I did not want to assume.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #10,130 of 22,954

The culture is just plain different, it's hard enough to get (and failed) Shure Hong Kong to fix the E500 cable issue even when I offered to pay for it.

Return policies are VERY different outside the US, for example westone, shure re-sellers will not accept returns just because you don't like it, that cuts out most high mid-high end.

So you are saying instead of reading reviews of SE846 in THIS thread, people should move on? Well there isn't many companies left, name 3 companies that you can return a $500+ product just because you don't like it in an Asian country or willing to ship to Asia.

What are these examples of not US/EU residents? any example of AK100/AK240/chord hugo/Sony products that are willing to send to an asian country, that don't have a website/youtube following/top contributor in Head-Fi? Reputation matters.

If what you are saying actually works, everyone on the realvant threads should flood westone and shure for a pair of W60/Se846 for demo, unfortunately that's not how the world works...

I was not going to respond to this particular post, but I'll just say this: everything that you have said right now has been explained in detail in my other posts that have been directed towards you.  I gave options if you are able to demo, if you are not able to demo, if you do not like the return policies, so forth and so on.  Since I see that you are trying to create your own assumptions, determinations and conclusions about what I have stated, even though I offered solutions and/or options for everyone - some will work without issue, and some will not work (based on various factors), I would just invite you to please PM me as to not derail the thread any further.  I will be more than happy to converse with you privately, so maybe we can both understand each other better.

Thank you in advance.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #10,131 of 22,954
I agree if the return policy is limited, expensive or nonexistent, proper due diligence is essential before buying a piece of audio equipment. Also, without a great deal of experience simply buying and listening yourself may tell you if you like a DAP or amplifier for example but without experience and knowledge you will have no idea what is should or could sound like.

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #10,132 of 22,954
If you think everything I stated is wrong (or "don't think" this and "not realistic" that) without trying it yourself, then it will 100% be of no use to you.

Again with the return policies (replacement, store credit, etcetera), it is the nature of the auditory bliss searching beast. If it is that much of an issue for someone, find a company that offers exemplary return policies and purchase from them. If a certain manufacturer's policy is not in your best interest, then you have the option to not purchase from them, and move on.

I am basing what I'm posting based on experience and what has worked for me and other out-of-U.S. residents. If you believe that sending a demo unit is a dream to you, then no matter what people say or write based on facts and their own experiences, then it will be a dream - to you.

A lot of these people are correct with a lot that is said .....it's been a real eye opener being in parts of Asia they are very happy to sell you things but don't try to return it just because"like in the states" they will look at it like it has the instant death disease they won't take it .....I never even mentioned my experience with the local Shure dealer here in Manila, as this was why I was absent from this thread for a while didn't really feel like saying much" man I has had a loose nozzle on my left IEM didn't seem major but I figured since it was still under warranty I should send it in...they didn't at first want to take it then was told to take it to another place went there and was sent back to,d them I came here because this is where they were purchased from...they were finally sent to a service center...bad experience :see_no_evil: after being returned they were brought to me only to open the box and find the same exact IEMs in the box with masking tape around my pair of SE846 I was like what the L? They did nothing ....was going to take them back but decided to send Shure an email...it was answered right away but being in Asia I was treated like I was from here with a reply to return them for another check...as the email wasn't sent to Shure In the states but to Shure here in Asia...I replied I want this email to be sent to Shure in the US where I'm from I explained about the service that should be provided and how I paid for these and for the money I expect better...I told them I had had two sets of Sennhieser iE800s and one pair didn't have any problems at all getting another pair when sent back "cables" the other pair took longer but they were replaced not serviced" one day later I received a reply to return them to the dealer where I brought them and they would replace them so I did they weren't very friendly about it so I knew that the reply was not even from the dealer but from Shure in Asia I think HK and when the dealer here in Manila gave me a new pair it was just the IEMs didn't give me anything else with them not a complete package as I didn't send the small case and filters back but everything else was in the box....man it was like a bad show....so yes they were probably made to do it as I explained to them that I was a member here and that I would let it be known and point them out because I felt it was bad service for a top IEM....I never mentioned any names, but when I hear you say this I just think....Ive brought tons of gear here and most didn't even get to check it out in a proper environment before purchase so yes to go by info provided, knowledge, as well as reviews are very important in this part of the world...because sometimes it's all you have to go on before purchase other times not so just depends...but don't return something just because you said you don't like it or it didn't fit in to your plan because you will be out of luck most if not all the time, and will be on your own to resell it..for which I've done before as well..it should be differnt because some people do not have lots of disposable income to just throw away......That's why when Egg Head Audio opened up here I was like this is good because they have a policy more like back home in the states...You can come in test items out gear and all...and returns are made really smooth and hassle free with you also being able to purchase demo units if they are available and more it's really a pleasant experience from most that I've seen....but they aren't a Shure dealer...

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #10,134 of 22,954
A lot of these people are correct with a lot that is said .....it's been a real eye opener being in parts of Asia they are very happy to sell you things but don't try to return it just because"like in the states" they will look at it like it has the instant death disease they won't take it .....I never even mentioned my experience with the local Shure dealer here in Manila, as this was why I was absent from this thread for a while didn't really feel like saying much" man I has had a loose nozzle on my left IEM didn't seem major but I figured since it was still under warranty I should send it in...they didn't at first want to take it then was told to take it to another place went there and was sent back to,d them I came here because this is where they were purchased from...they were finally sent to a service center...bad experience :see_no_evil: after being returned they were brought to me only to open the box and find the same exact IEMs in the box with masking tape around my pair of SE846 I was like what the L? They did nothing ....was going to take them back but decided to send Shure an email...it was answered right away but being in Asia I was treated like I was from here with a reply to return them for another check...as the email wasn't sent to Shure In the states but to Shure here in Asia...I replied I want this email to be sent to Shure in the US where I'm from I explained about the service that should be provided and how I paid for these and for the money I expect better...I told them I had had two sets of Sennhieser iE800s and one pair didn't have any problems at all getting another pair when sent back "cables" the other pair took longer but they were replaced not serviced" one day later I received a reply to return them to the dealer where I brought them and they would replace them so I did they weren't very friendly about it so I knew that the reply was not even from the dealer but from Shure in Asia I think HK and when the dealer here in Manila gave me a new pair it was just the IEMs didn't give me anything else with them not a complete package as I didn't send the small case and filters back but everything else was in the box....man it was like a bad show....so yes they were probably made to do it as I explained to them that I was a member here and that I would let it be known and point them out because I felt it was bad service for a top IEM....I never mentioned any names, but when I hear you say this I just think....Ive brought tons of gear here and most didn't even get to check it out in a proper environment before purchase so yes to go by info provided, knowledge, as well as reviews are very important in this part of the world...because sometimes it's all you have to go on before purchase other times not so just depends...but don't return something just because you said you don't like it or it didn't fit in to your plan because you will be out of luck most if not all the time, and will be on your own to resell it..for which I've done before as well..it should be differnt because some people do not have lots of disposable income to just throw away......That's why when Egg Head Audio opened up here I was like this is good because they have a policy more like back home in the states...You can come in test items out gear and all...and returns are made really smooth and hassle free with you also being able to purchase demo units if they are available and more it's really a pleasant experience from most that I've seen....but they aren't a Shure dealer...

Now that's scary, especially since I like you am from Manila. You don't have to mention names since there really is only 1 authorized Shure reseller here.

That said, my past experience with Shure customer service wasn't as bad as yours. I once had a problem with a pair of SE425's I bought from Hong Kong, but since I was in Manila, Shure coursed me through here. Turned out the crackling on one earpiece was caused by a dirty plug. I cleaned it myself and it was good. The dealer here in Manila was ready to take it back, but I decided not to pursue it.

The thing is, I'd never try to go through the dealer first. In my experience with local retailers, that's just asking to be ignored. I once bought a watch from Tissot here in Manila, turned out that the dial/bezel was looser than it should have been. I haven't worn the watch, and was back at them aless than a week after purchase and they wouldn't take it back. I emailed Tissot and they sent out a notice on their distributor and I got a replacement from that same store. Their general manager here even had the nerve to tell me I should have talked to her first rather than go straight to Tissot. I take it was an embarassing situation for them.

I always found it best to email the manufacturer first, that way I had their backing when I visited their local distributor. Good manufacturers like Shure will back their products, and they have the power to strong-arm their dealers here.

I've made a few purchases with Egghead recently. It's a nice store, good bunch. There are more and more stores here that are now allowing you to audition headphones and IEMs before you make your purchase decision, which is a good thing. To my knowledge though, Shure's local distributor is yet to allow auditioning of their IEMs. It's sad really, it's a lost chance at a sale. I auditioned the 846 during a trip to Hong Kong.

Glad to hear from a fellow 846 owner here in Manila. I take it there aren't many of us. :)

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #10,135 of 22,954
My detailer here in Delaware, East coast of USA won't allow me to try even SE425 ( they don't have SE846 on stock) before I committed to buy. Also when I purchase
AK120 II from another retailer, they won't allow me to try before I purchased. So I have to rely on the Headfi reviews to make a decision. I am jealous at you guys at West Coast can try and audition before purchasing.

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #10,136 of 22,954
This is why I love Amazon.  Tried the ie800, decided I liked the se846 and returned it.  All my moneys back, no questions asked.

But it sucks I actually have to buy it to make a decision.  Because it's a loss for them, having to sell it less as an open box item.  But it's the only option I have, you can't find these high-end IEM's anywhere here.

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #10,137 of 22,954
Glad it helped.
smily_headphones1.gif

Has anyone tried this Shure replacement cable with volume controls?
  http://goo.gl/rCm2CW

Can it bend around the ears for starters?

Yes it does bend over the ears. The connector to the IEM has a slightly different angle though and to me at least, it meant the end of the plug was resting uncomfortably on my ears. I wasn't a fan of the 3.5mm jack too. The weird angle made it easier to snag in pockets. In fact, I've broken two of these cables because the 3.5mm jack snapped off.

Thanks. Have you tried something else with volume controls?

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #10,138 of 22,954

The durability of the shure cables are not so great, I suggest looking at westone (i'm using that now) and the UE900 cable (don't like it because it's blue, but it's cheap and comfortable). 

Does these have remote controls?  How do they sound compared with the stock SE846 clear cable?
Thanks

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #10,139 of 22,954
I feel compelled to let eyeglass wearers know that Shure OEM cables legally qualify as torture devices. Ted's cables can't get to me fast enough.

As for volume controls I use a Pebble smart watch paired with my iPhone so anything I use has volume/music control. I still can't believe how much premium IEM manufacturers were charging for the "i" version and all the people who gladly paid for it.

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #10,140 of 22,954
  I feel compelled to let eyeglass wearers know that Shure OEM cables legally qualify as torture devices. Ted's cables can't get to me fast enough.

As for volume controls I use a Pebble smart watch paired with my iPhone so anything I use has volume/music control. I still can't believe how much premium IEM manufacturers were charging for the "i" version and all the people who gladly paid for it.

Have you tried taking the memory wire off the stock cable? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back