Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #10,036 of 22,954
No- even across all frequencies.  Nice bass, but not heavy like the Dunu1K.  846 has "better" bass, modulated and distinct.  More sub-bass as well.  Fide has bass when bass is present, but doesn't add any on its own.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #10,038 of 22,954
  I have a story to tell that might interest some here. I have been wrestling with getting great sound out of the 8's until I talked to a salesman at the local Jaben store I found the answer. I had imagined all along that the tips were the problem for me and I just could not get the soundstage and tonal quality I expected from these at this price level. The salesman suggested a mod that has turned the 8's in something really special for me.

He suggested using spinfit tips but they will only fit a shaft with bigger diameter. He had a solution. Take a set of foam tips you are not using and cut out the plastic sleeve. Cut the plastic length to match the length of the Shure shaft. Place the plastic on the Shure and then apply the Spinfit tips. They fit perfectly. The sound is amazing. Now I am not longer limited to tips only available for larger shafts. I will not be looking for any other tips after applying the Spinfits. The sound stage is 3D and the tonal balance at last makes perfect sense. The Shure may not be to everyone's taste but they now sound to me like flagship iem's.

The salesman at Jaben said they can't keep the Spinfits in stock as all the 846 owners buy them up. I guess I was late in learning this secret.

Thank you for this tip!  It is working very well for me.
I was happy with the yellow foam tips but what you suggest above seems to offer some improvement again.

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #10,039 of 22,954
Thanks. It seems the X5 would be a better deal for the Se846 then. As you said it's on the paper, in practice it might be slightly different.

Find the X5 and 846 to be a perfect match sound wise. Some dislike it's wheel, I've never had any problem. And the Custom themes are nice. Just had the Rock Theme 'hi-fidelity' altered to include my favourite guitarist Rory Gallagher, running off stage as it shuts down. Very nice.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #10,040 of 22,954

For the price the X1 is a good DAP with low output impedance and rather low noise floor.
The sony has got a higher output impedance than the FiiO and therefore you might hear a slightly bent frequency response.
For the price of the Sony you could also get the FiiO X3 or iBasso DX50 (but the iBasso has got a rather high noise floor).

Thanks for the info, it will be useful.
Thought about those but can't find the X3 here. Does DX90 have high noise floor as well?

Fortunately the DX90 has so few noise that it is barely noticeable even in a quiet room with playback being paused. It's only a tad louder than the noise of your bloodstream you hear when you have earphones (or ear protection tips) in your earcanal without being connected to any source.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #10,041 of 22,954
I have the DX90 and I barely hear any noise at all.  I only have mine set at 195 volume on low gain though.  

That said, my DX90 is starting to burn-in nicely.  I'm right around the 100-hour mark and the treble extension has gone pretty well.  It's pairing really well with my modified blue filters.

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #10,042 of 22,954
Hey, guys.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but how do you guys like the 846 compared to the Westone W40?

It's funny. I purchased the W40 very shortly after I got my 846. Why?

Because on first listen, the sound of the 846 just wasn't right. I won't go into details, but I was severely disappointed. So I threw up my hands and purchased the W40 - the general description of the W40 was in line with my preferences for sound presentation.

Well, I just received them. I'll describe my initial impressions shortly.

But during the time I was waiting for the W40, I hooked up my 846 to a receiver for 4 or 5 overnight burn in sessions with beat heavy club mix music. And gave them several hours or actual listening time.

I don't know what the mechanism was - burn-in, brain burn-in, a combination of both - but the 846 really settled in and started sounding good. Where things were initially disjointed, muddy, and confused, the sound was now clear and well integrated, with good musical flow, and that great bass foundation. Really fantastic.

They've improved to a point where I can tell that the IEMs are no longer the weak point in the chain. I'm suddenly feeling that I may need to upgrade my portable source and amp when I never have before.

As for the W40, my initial impression is that they sound decent, but don't blow me away. I hope they will improve the way the 846 did with some burn in, so I'm putting them on the same overnight burn-in regimen. So far they are a little non-descript, with less nuance than my Westone W3. I expect they will improve, fingers crossed.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #10,043 of 22,954
Got the solid silver cables in today for my 846. The seller says they require 100 hours burn in. I am not a believer in cable burn in but I can see and argument since these are silver. Opens the sound stage up a lot (and it wasn't bad before). It also creates much more transparency without being bright. First impression, I like them. they look very nice also. Here is a link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-Solid-Silver-Shure-SE535-SE425-SE315-SE846-UE900-upgrade-cable-/181650410268?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Nice looking cable good price point. My sxc8 325 usd double helix copper silver Litz 8 braid 675 usd will have review after i receive the latter with some burn in. Photos of both then. And yes I beleive burn in on cables has an effect, there are processes of physics and molecular resistance etc involved.

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #10,044 of 22,954
  Got the solid silver cables in today for my 846. The seller says they require 100 hours burn in. I am not a believer in cable burn in but I can see and argument since these are silver. Opens the sound stage up a lot (and it wasn't bad before). It also creates much more transparency without being bright. First impression, I like them. they look very nice also. Here is a link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-Solid-Silver-Shure-SE535-SE425-SE315-SE846-UE900-upgrade-cable-/181650410268?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Wow, those do look nice.

It looks like they are useable on the UE900, too? If so, I am very temped to spring for these. Killing two birds with one stone.

I'm really looking forward to your impressions with more use, however. I hope they end up sounding as good as they look!

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #10,045 of 22,954

Wow, those do look nice.

It looks like they are useable on the UE900, too? If so, I am very temped to spring for these. Killing two birds with one stone.

I'm really looking forward to your impressions with more use, however. I hope they end up sounding as good as they look!

I'll tell you how good they sound. I have a K10U on order and after getting the right tips and the upgraded cable on the 846 I'm thinking of canceling the K10U order. If you are using a really good front end the 846 is capable of some remarkably good sound. The Spinfit tips are part of the reason. I like the cable so much I have ordered one for my Fitear Parterre. Delivery from Latvia was also much faster than I expected but I am in Asia not sure about delivery times elsewhere. I am not normally a cable guy but these open the soundstage into something really special. 

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #10,046 of 22,954
  I'll tell you how good they sound. I have a K10U on order and after getting the right tips and the upgraded cable on the 846 I'm thinking of canceling the K10U order. If you are using a really good front end the 846 is capable of some remarkably good sound. The Spinfit tips are part of the reason. I like the cable so much I have ordered one for my Fitear Parterre. Delivery from Latvia was also much faster than I expected but I am in Asia not sure about delivery times elsewhere. I am not normally a cable guy but these open the soundstage into something really special. 

Wow, K10U. Pretty awesome.

I can't afford to spend any more money on big purchases after the 846 myself, but if you can do it, it's pretty cool to play in the upper tiers.

I'm happy to listen to the 846 for a while as a sort of semi-endgame IEM. I promised myself that as they are more than makes sense for me to spend on really pricey IEMs in a short amount of time.

Then, in a couple of years, I'll be in the market again for another special IEM. It seems there's always something slightly better or different around the corner, so maybe thing will be just that much more interesting by then.

When I think about spending as much as some of these TOTL IEMs cost, I think it makes sense for me to get a pair that suit me the best, enjoy it, and then wait for the market to roll out new and maybe improved models before I start the cycle all over again.

Of course, if you can afford multiples of the best to enjoy all at once, then it's a really fun time!

I am really tempted by those cables, however. It may be my next purchase.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #10,047 of 22,954
I received my SCS today. Fit is perfect, very comfortable and great seal. Oh, It was a blissful sunset.. Perfect Saturday evening.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #10,048 of 22,954
I received my SCS today. Fit is perfect, very comfortable and great seal. Oh, It was a blissful sunset.. Perfect Saturday evening.

Great picture! Glad you like em :) Silicon is just so comfy, ain't it?

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #10,049 of 22,954

Happy the SCS turned out perfect for you. :normal_smile :

Try the SCS during a hike or running along the beach if you can. Simply bliss.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #10,050 of 22,954
You can always edit your original post by using the pencil button, in case you aren't aware (I do not want to assume).

As for detachable mic cable, you can purchase the Shure three-button control cable, here: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-CBL-M-K-EFS-Three-Button-Control/dp/B0043241X8/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_z.  There are other options as well, as if you make sure to search for MMCX (the Shure connection type) and three button and you'll find more.  Another three-button cable that members on this thread have recommended is the UE900 three-button cable.  You can purchase it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Cable-w-Mic-Control-for-Ultimate-Ears-900-UE900-Shure-535-846-SE215-/181277311388?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a34f8419c.  Feel free to shoot a message if any other questions come up and you aren't able to find it on this thread.

Very helpful, thanks. Anyone aware or such a cable with NOISE CANCELING inline Mic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back