Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #10,021 of 22,954
this is what i did for my SE846.

i took the smallest foam tip that came in the box and remove the stem.

then i ordered the westone star tips and stuff the foam into the tip.

As you can see the foam does not cover the whole inside of the startips.

which is good as the tip reaches deep inside my ears. so now i have a slight tapered tip and a straight body.

the comfort is so much better with startips. and with the foam supporting it i have the perfect seal.

those with startips can give this trick a try.

Tip: use a foam sleeve that is one size smaller than wat u actually use so it doesn't fully stretch out and causing discomfort on your ear canal. the foam is there to isolate and prevent the tip sleeve from collapsing too much.

hope this helps some of you.

Hmmm yes in theory it should provide iso plus the sound should be good as I did the same with my set of Senn iE80s that I have and it works nicely ........I will try this as well and see since I have both Westones and others lying around ......,:yum:

Ok after putting everything together I feel that it's nice works well will test for longer duration tonight to see how the fit is over hours of use...:yum:I'll try sleeping with them in and see how they feel this is my usual test if I don't test throughout the day :see_no_evil:.........

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #10,022 of 22,954
Hmmm yes in theory it should provide iso plus the sound should be good as I did the same with my set of Senn iE80s that I have and it works nicely ........I will try this as well and see since I have both Westones and others lying around ......,:yum:

Ok after putting everything together I feel that it's nice works well will test for longer duration tonight to see how the fit is over hours of use...:yum:I'll try sleeping with them in and see how they feel this is my usual test if I don't test throughout the day :see_no_evil:.........

Actually since last time i saw someone did this hack i have been using this hack for most of my earphones.

i will get those used complys that has lost its slow expanding properties and stuff it in the empty space behind the silicone tips.

i even did this hack on dual flange tips. but i did not have a photo of it. it does merge the properties of silicone tips and foam tips together.

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #10,023 of 22,954
Got the solid silver cables in today for my 846. The seller says they require 100 hours burn in. I am not a believer in cable burn in but I can see and argument since these are silver. Opens the sound stage up a lot (and it wasn't bad before). It also creates much more transparency without being bright. First impression, I like them. they look very nice also. Here is a link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-Solid-Silver-Shure-SE535-SE425-SE315-SE846-UE900-upgrade-cable-/181650410268?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #10,024 of 22,954
  this is what i did for my SE846.

i took the smallest foam tip that came in the box and remove the stem.

then i ordered the westone star tips and stuff the foam into the tip.

As you can see the foam does not cover the whole inside of the startips.

which is good as the tip reaches deep inside my ears. so now i have a slight tapered tip and a straight body.

the comfort is so much better with startips. and with the foam supporting it i have the perfect seal.

those with startips can give this trick a try.

Tip: use a foam sleeve that is one size smaller than wat u actually use so it doesn't fully stretch out and causing discomfort on your ear canal. the foam is there to isolate and prevent the tip sleeve from collapsing too much.

hope this helps some of you.

Thanks for this great idea.
What is the "Stem" to remove? and can you post a link to the right size Westone silicone star tips for the stock Shure foam tip?
Thanks again.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #10,025 of 22,954
Thanks for this great idea.
What is the "Stem" to remove? and can you post a link to the right size Westone silicone star tips for the stock Shure foam tip?
Thanks again.

The stem is the core of the foam tip.
The stiff plastic of the foam sleeves.
I do not have the link for the tips.
But for example I use the medium silicone tips I use the smallest foam tip tat came with se846.

But if u have comply tips it should fill most silicone tips

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #10,026 of 22,954
The stem is the core of the foam tip.
The stiff plastic of the foam sleeves.
I do not have the link for the tips.
But for example I use the medium silicone tips I use the smallest foam tip tat came with se846.

But if u have comply tips it should fill most silicone tips

The foam is glued to the stiff plastic.  After removal, do you have to apply some adhesive to the foam?

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #10,028 of 22,954
What would happen if you put blue foam in white filter?

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #10,029 of 22,954
Yup. Its glued to the stiff plastic but after removal you do not need to apply any more adhesive as the silicone tip will hold it in place.

I think I got it.  Without the stiff post inside the foam tip, the Westone silicone tip makes contact with the SE846 nozzle tip directly, locking the foam in.
Since the removed stiff plastic has a filter on top, does this make the sound even sharper?

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #10,030 of 22,954
  For the price the X1 is a good DAP with low output impedance and rather low noise floor.
The sony has got a higher output impedance than the FiiO and therefore you might hear a slightly bent frequency response.
For the price of the Sony you could also get the FiiO X3 or iBasso DX50 (but the iBasso has got a rather high noise floor).

Thanks for the info, it will be useful.
Thought about those but can't find the X3 here. Does DX90 have high noise floor as well?

The x1 has a output impedance of "<2 ohms", x5 has an output impedance of "<0.26 ohms". Se846 has an impedance of 9 ohms, so ideally you want the output impedance to be less than 9/8 ohms (less than one will be ideal). I would say the X5 would be better based on the numbers, but I don't have experience with both.

If you want an all in one smartphone, the note 4 exynos version with wolfson dac sounds great with the se846 (actually any exynos version will have the wolfson dac), close to the level of a cowon J3, enjoyable while you're on the move. Of course the X5 will sound better than the Note 4, but I like to be able to answer calls with the inline remote, watch videos, spotify etc... and just have one device with me.

Edit: X3 may also be a good choice at "<0.3 ohms"

Thanks. It seems the X5 would be a better deal for the Se846 then. As you said it's on the paper, in practice it might be slightly different.

For the Note 4 Exynos I've been looking for it for a while, but didn't even look to one of the simplest place : ebay.
Sadly cheapest price I found is $765 + shipping (+ risk of customs/lose the package), and in my country I can get the Snapdragon for 530 with 2 years warranty...
So even if I like to have all in one I'm not sure the price difference worth it.
I currently have a Mate 7, not sure if I will keep it yet or change for a Note 4.

For the X3 it's the only one I can't find here, need to import.

X1 and x3 sound incredible with the 8s. I love both...depending on my mood, I may prefer the x3 over my 240...

Great to hear, thanks! Even if I get an other DAP I might get the X1 as an extra. It really looks like a great value. Same for the X3 if I can find it... I don't recall the price, but I think it was about $150, so kinda cheap as well.

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #10,031 of 22,954
The X5 is a bit more expensive than the X1 and X3, but is a very good player.  I can safely say much better than the X1, haven't had an X3.  Both, to me, were better by far than the DX50.  The X5 will sound very good with the 846.  As for going by the numbers, my Pono has a much higher impedance number and sounds great with the 846.  Numbers aren't everything.  

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #10,032 of 22,954
I haven't listened to my 8s with my x1, so I did again today after using mostly my AK240 and x3. X3 definitely sounds better than X1 with the 8s. X1 is good, X3 amazing with the 8s. Haven't heard X5 though, I'm sure it's quite good. I'm actually picking up an e12a too, just love fiio products.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #10,033 of 22,954
I just tried (a few days ago) the 846 with the stock cable (I use a Moon Audio balanced cable with the Pono) and it sounded very good with the X5.  Certainly better than my Fidue A83.  By a lot.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #10,034 of 22,954
Actually since last time i saw someone did this hack i have been using this hack for most of my earphones.

i will get those used complys that has lost its slow expanding properties and stuff it in the empty space behind the silicone tips.

i even did this hack on dual flange tips. but i did not have a photo of it. it does merge the properties of silicone tips and foam tips together.

Ahhh ok I've done it with my iE80s using the Senn memory tips with the double flange and I like it ........well after testing with the 8s "I slept with them in my ears last night and woke up this morning still liking the fit...so thanks as I hadn't thought of trying this with these .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back