Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #9,976 of 22,954
You guys do note that when the Shure 846 came out there were screams about the high price was but only a year later there are many flagships selling for 50-80% more. The market has evolved into a reverse price war to see who can charge the most. Yet those ultra high priced models are all back ordered with people lined up to buy. This is a crazy business. 

Yeah, crazy. I used to think anything approaching $1k was crazy for IEMs, but now models up to $4k decked out? Is that right, or am I imagining things?

On a totally unrelated topic, those attenuation adapters - are they simply a resistor in series with the hot leg of the circuit? Or is there some kind of shunt-to-ground arrangement going on in there? As someone who's handy with a soldering iron, I'm mighty tempted to make my own.

I imagine most of them use nothing better than run of the mill resistors. Might be a good opportunity to really whip up a great one with some boutique parts.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #9,977 of 22,954
Yeah, crazy. I used to think anything approaching $1k was crazy for IEMs, but now models up to $4k decked out? Is that right, or am I imagining things?

On a totally unrelated topic, those attenuation adapters - are they simply a resistor in series with the hot leg of the circuit? Or is there some kind of shunt-to-ground arrangement going on in there? As someone who's handy with a soldering iron, I'm mighty tempted to make my own.

I imagine most of them use nothing better than run of the mill resistors. Might be a good opportunity to really whip up a great one with some boutique parts.

There is not magic going on it is just a resistor. Some people claim to hear the difference between resistors so you can go some "high quality" resistor. Audiophile grade resistors are easily available. Variable resistors are another matter. They do vary in quality a lot. Cheap ones are really bad and can destroy the sound.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #9,978 of 22,954

Yes, simple resistor on the hot side so one each for left and right. You want some very high tolerance and matched pair so you don't get channel imbalance. I have a 22 Ohm adapter from Hong Kong coming that only cost me $18. Will post when I get and try them out as well as what I measure for each channel.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #9,981 of 22,954
Compared to Shure se846, has anyone tried the RHA t10i earbuds?
How do they compare?
I would rather get the se846 tho.

I drool over the t10i every time I'm in the Apple store, ha ha. They're really good looking IEMs... I wish my SE846 had sexy brushed stainless steel bodies...

Probably more functional in plastic though. Lighter, warmer, etc...

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #9,982 of 22,954
I have both as well, I think the t10 fair well against the 8s considering the price. Yes, 8s do sound better, but not 3 times better, not even close. I could have just purchased t10 and been happy... But once you get "bit" you always want more. If you are not hard core into this, and really enjoy bass, t10 is a cheaper, although excellent alternative. If you are the type of person that wants more, and knows it's out there, don't waste your time or $. Or if your like me and just love the look of them along with design (only reason I purchased) then get them. The build quality is beyond impressive.

Takes nothing away from my 8s...which are my end game setup. 8s have been the best overall performers I've found, and I've learned a lot along my journey. Number one is, don't forget why we came here, to enjoy our music more, which is what I've been doing for several months now. :laughing:

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #9,983 of 22,954
You guys do note that when the Shure 846 came out there were screams about the high price was but only a year later there are many flagships selling for 50-80% more. The market has evolved into a reverse price war to see who can charge the most. Yet those ultra high priced models are all back ordered with people lined up to buy. This is a crazy business. 

I am beginnig to sound like a broken record--though many of you probably never heard a broken record--but this is only the beginnig of price escalation, and unfortunately the beginning of the end of the HP/IEM business as we know it.

I am no good at prediction--as the Nobel Physicist Niels Bohr said, preditions are very difficult to make, especially about the future--but I have seen the same thing happening with High-End Home Audio.

When the business sees the ever increasing appetite for better-quality gears, they will embark upon the ill-advised pursuit of ever higher quality gears regardless of price, ignoring the engineering wisdom of making the best quality product possible at a reasonable price, i.e. not erring too far from the point of diminishing return.

I believe with the IEM/HP currently available, we have already passed the point of diminishing return. So now, any small increase in quality will comes with a doubling or tripling of the price which will reduce the number of units sold which in turn will increase the unit cost even further. Let the vicious circle begin.

In the end, we will arrive at the same sad situation we are in with Hihg-End Home Audio: we have mass-market products of pretty sad quality and then just a handfull of ultra-high end products selling ultra-high quality products at exhorbitant prices ($5,000 cartridge, $20,000 turntable, $25,000 amplifiers and $50,000 speakers) that a mere millionaire has trouble affording. There are a few hold-outs from the old days like Magapan that continue to make state-of-the-art products at reasonable prices but they are few and far in between.

Of course, high-End companies will do just fine selling to just a few very wealthy customers but making much more profit per unit. But devoted audiophiles that supported the high-end business at the beginning are left in the cold. This has aleady come to pass for High-End Home Audio and we are seeing signs of the same thing happening with High-End Headpne/IEM. Already, $2,000-$5,000 HPs, $5,000-$10,000 HeadAmps and $1,000-$2,500 IEM arer fairly common place nowaday: they will be the bargains of tomorrow.

So, let's enjoy these golden days of HP/IEM while we can. They will not last and soon we have to look for a more affordable hobby: High-End Quilting anyone?

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #9,984 of 22,954

I am beginnig to sound like a bronken record--though many of you probably never heard a broken record--but this is only the beginnig of price escalation, and unfortunately the beginning of the end of the HP/IEM business as we know it.

I am no good at prediction--as the Nobel Physicist Niels Bohr said, preditions are very difficult to make, especially about the future--but I have seen the same thing happening with High-End Home Audio.

When the business sees the ever increasing appetite for better-quality gears, they will embark upon the ill-advised pursuit of ever higher quality gears regardless of price, ignoring the engineering wisdom of making the best quality product possible at a reasonable price, i.e. not erring too far from the point of diminishing return.

I believe with the IEM/HP currently available, we have already passed the point of diminishing return. So now, any small increase in quality will comes with a doubling or tripling of the price which will reduce the number of units sold which in turn will increase the unit cost even further. Let the vicious circle begin.

In the end, we will arrive at the same sad situation we are in with Hihg-End Home Audio: we have mass-market products of pretty sad quality and then just a handfull of ultra-high end products selling ultra-high quality products at exhorbitant prices ($5,000 cartridge, $20,000 turntable, $25,000 amplifiers and $50,000 speakers) that a mere millionaire has trouble affording. There are a few hold-outs from the old days like Magapan that continue to make state-of-the-art products at reasonable prices but they are few and far in between.

Of course, high-End companies will do just fine selling to just a few very wealthy customers but making much more profit per unit. But devoted audiophiles that supported the high-end business at the beginning are left in the cold. This has aleady come to pass for High-End Home Audio and we are seeing signs of the same thing happening with High-End Headpne/IEM. Already, $2,000-$5,000 HPs, $5,000-$10,000 HeadAmps and $1,000-$2,500 IEM arer fairly common place nowaday: they will be the bargains of tomorrow.

So, let's enjoy these golden days of HP/IEM while we can. They will not last and soon we have to look for a more affordable hobby: High-End Quilting anyone?

Loved this post, thx for your opinion.  I think VR should be the next thing we get into, it's an emerging market atm.  We've covered our ears, now time for high-end equipment for our eyes :)

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #9,985 of 22,954
I don't want to copy the entire post here again, but I want to say that I am in total agreement with Justin_Time's comments. We have a few boutique companies producing small numbers of products at ever increasing prices. I totally agree that it won't stop here. The prices will continue to raise. I am convinced that products from more mass market oriented companies like Shure turn out products that are as good or very nearly as good as those selling for multiples of their price. The 846 is not the very best universal iem out there but it is competitive at far less cost. If you want that last 2% of glory in your sound then you have to pay for it. I'm a lifelong audiophile but  even I am getting ready to draw the line. The hobby ceases to be fun and enjoyable when you have to take out a second mortgage to buy more audio equipment. At the current pricing there are now many iem's on the market who's price has no bearing on their cost of manufacture. Please don't try to convince me it cost $1500-2500 to make an iem that has room for a reasonable profit. I am waiting to see the $10,000 iem. I know it's coming.

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #9,986 of 22,954
I only see one reason. While the home Stereos systems can cost upto $100-200,000 usd, you can pretty much get the same quality from a portable system with headphones or IEMS for 1/10 the cost.....now, here is the thing

1/ home stereo = good decorations, everyone can enjoy.......it may get loud, and bother your family, babies....you also can only leave it at home

2/ portable = personal only, some decorations, but mainly bling bling....as beats ?....personal space, and doesn't bother anyone, you can bring it anywhere...even the toilet. A good portable system can sound as good as the $100,000 usd Home stereo for $8-10,000 usd. Now, do you honestly really thinking that it is unreasonable ?

Portable audiophile gears will evolve....it may not get anywhere to 20-40k in price soon, but I am sure it will get there.

Regarding the cost to profit ratio....the market is evolving, the market is "grey" and just like any grey market.....you will get ripped off, or you will get good quality and long lasting products.....also many companies will surface, and disappear, only the most honest, and hard working will stay. Give it 10 years, and see if Beats by Dre....Astel kern...Fiio.. ....or any other Chinese Brands can or can not stick.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #9,987 of 22,954
I just gave the yellow foamies for the first time (they looks weird to me when I first saw them in the box) and

OMG

How can tips make this much of a difference!?  I notice soundstage/imaging a lot more.  Bass sounds deeper, more impactful.  SQ all together just better, more uniform.

Just crazy, I'm blown away.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #9,988 of 22,954
  I just gave the yellow foamies for the first time (they looks weird to me when I first saw them in the box) and

OMG

How can tips make this much of a difference!?  I notice soundstage/imaging a lot more.  Bass sounds deeper, more impactful.  SQ all together just better, more uniform.

It's all about getting a good seal. It is a very personal matter as to which tips do it for your ears. When you get it right you know it. I've seen people knocking specifc iem products on the forum when I am sure they never really heard the product. Took me days to get everything sorted out to get the most of my 8's.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #9,989 of 22,954

OMG

Exactly the same here, big improvement on the olives. I'd forgotten how big a deal getting the seal right is.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #9,990 of 22,954
Exactly the same here, big improvement on the olives. I'd forgotten how big a deal getting the seal right is.

I thought I was getting a sufficient enough seal with the olives.  I guess not!

I feel like I'm hearing the 846's true sound now.  It sounds so good.  Going through and re-listening to my fav tracks.

I think Shure should put in big bold font on the box "SQ largely dependent on seal/tips!!"  I sure there are lots of knocks against these IEM's from people that haven't really heard them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back