Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #9,886 of 22,954
I seem to be in the minority, but as far as tips go, the Comply P-Series works best for me.  It isolates the most compared to my selection of tips (all the Shure ones and Westone Star Tips) and seems to be the one that sounds the most natural.  

The Star Tips work great with my SE425.  I love the way they fit and seal, however they lack isolation for me.  For me, the SE846's sound deserves the best isolation to get the most enjoyment. :D    Even without any music playing, it's hard to hear outside noise with P-Series tips.  These foam tips go in pretty deep, and are denser than the regular Comply tips, so there may be some pressure initially.  But as they heat-up to your body temp, they soften up and eventually you won't feel them on (just like the Star Tips).

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #9,887 of 22,954
I just took out the little foams from my blues. It's better. Granted promptly lost one little foamy in my carpet and for the life of me can't find it so I hope I like modded blues. I am all over the map on these filters. I liked the blacks but wonderd if I was losing some dynamic, the whites are good but some tunes are a bit thin ( if that's a good descriptive) so moded blues will be a baseline for now. Course this is with hugo as disclosure.

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #9,888 of 22,954
Haha I almost lost mine too when the fan in my room swung my way while I had one on the palm of my hand.  Hard to do in a pitch dark room with only a head-mounted light and my monitor as a light source.  

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #9,889 of 22,954
  Hard to do in a pitch dark room with only a head-mounted light and my monitor as a light source.  

This calls up quite an image. Not even going to ask, "why?"

I lost one on my table in the daytime with an overhead light.  Little bugger faded into the tablecloth, but I did find it.

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #9,890 of 22,954
The blue filter sounds by far the best according to my ears, so I won't risk modding that filter with the risk of not going back to the original blue filter due to damage.

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #9,891 of 22,954
  I seem to be in the minority, but as far as tips go, the Comply P-Series works best for me.  It isolates the most compared to my selection of tips (all the Shure ones and Westone Star Tips) and seems to be the one that sounds the most natural.  

The Star Tips work great with my SE425.  I love the way they fit and seal, however they lack isolation for me.  For me, the SE846's sound deserves the best isolation to get the most enjoyment. :D    Even without any music playing, it's hard to hear outside noise with P-Series tips.  These foam tips go in pretty deep, and are denser than the regular Comply tips, so there may be some pressure initially.  But as they heat-up to your body temp, they soften up and eventually you won't feel them on (just like the Star Tips).

Just checked Amazon on those Comply P-Series foams but cannot see a version that is compatible with the Shure SE846 on the charts.  Do you have a link?

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #9,892 of 22,954
All P-Series foams fit the 846 - there is only one diameter and it works. I wish they made 400 and 500 series P tips

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #9,894 of 22,954
  This calls up quite an image. Not even going to ask, "why?"

I lost one on my table in the daytime with an overhead light.  Little bugger faded into the tablecloth, but I did find it.

Haha it was about 2am when I did it.  Room was dark since the baby was sleeping.  I could have done it during the day, but I was impatient.  

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #9,895 of 22,954
To all blue and black nozzle insert/filter modders:

A way to not have any chance of losing the foam dampers in the nozzle inserts/filters is to take out the foam dampers over a plate or better yet, a bowl. Then carefully place them in a small plastic Ziploc-type clear bag, and label the bag something like: "Black/blue SE846 foam dampers" and keep the bag somewhere you will not forget where it is, maybe in your original SE846 box, or a drawer/area where you keep your IEMs and/or headphones.

Everyone's perception of the blue and black mods will be further exasperated by the different source(s) that are being used, adapters, DAP/Amps, elemental cables, Balanced or SE, tips and custom sleeves (tip sleeves and full shell sleeves), so on and so forth.

It is so great that there is so much customization to the SE846, and being able to dial in the signature that is best for you, as only you know what sounds the best to your ears.

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #9,896 of 22,954
  I got them straight from Comply's site:

http://www.complyfoam.com/se-846/

I hope that helps. :)

Thanks!
Have you tried the Comfort Plus?  

Mar 8, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #9,897 of 22,954
Ok got down on my knees with a led flashlight and found the little foamy, thought it was a lint ball, but it's the foamy. Reinserted back into the blues and im back to them. I found the low end, bass in some jazz and other genre's sounded to long in the decay, it wasn't as tight. So back to non moded blues.

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #9,898 of 22,954
I can see that the 846 requires a lot of experimentation to finagle the best sound out of them. I'm in the beginning stages of that process.

So far I've found the mids to be a little unrefined for my tastes. Maybe it's the nature of these IEMs, or maybe I'll need to experiment with my amps and sources, but if feel that the mids are somewhat congested, a little grainy, and a bit distant. 

Add to this the feeling that the imaging is all over the place. On some tracks, certain instruments do sound nicely placed off to the sides. But as I get closer to the center of the sound field, things become more congested and mushed together. It's strange, because what I'm hearing isn't firmly centered, either. Rather, it's sort of a floating sensation. As if one of the earpieces was wired out of phase in relation to the other.  I'm not sure of what to make of it yet.

At this early stage, what I might say, however, is that these are not an all-around IEM. They sound great with beat heavy/beat driven music. They are quite compelling in this regard.

But so far they have fallen short of my expectations in terms of tone and texture of the midrange. They don't seem suited to more subtle, textural music that highlight tones and textures.

At least not for me yet. I may be able to get better synergy with experimentation.  But I expected a more refined and all-around IEM, especially at this price.

I wish I had known just how specialized the sound of the IEMs are. I probably would have sprung for something else that was more lucid sounding.

But I'm making the best of it and will be experimenting to finagle out the best sound.

I'm starting to really like these now. I gave them 4 or 5 overnight burns with beat heavy club mix music and about 5 or 6 hours of actual listening time.

Whatever the mechanism (burn-in, brain burn-in, or a mix of the two), the sound has gelled. They are much more transparent and coherent than when brand new. Imaging seems correct now, where earlier they had an odd out-of-phase quality. They are fun to listen to.

Although I'm very sensitive to hot, dry, silibant, mechanical treble, I feel that they could benefit from a little more sparkle. But I can live comfortably with what's there. Westone silicone Star tips may have contributed positively, here.

I feel that the mids could still be a little more refined. There remains a slight hardness in the mids.

Maybe I'll keep listening for another couple of weeks to see how it settles out and then consider filter mods and cable.

Good stuff!

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #9,899 of 22,954
Hello, new member here. Just got my new Shure SE846's about a week ago. All has gone real well until I played a certain track of music. The Track is from the Album "Workshop 19" Track is called: "Untitled B1".My problem is that I'm getting a rattling sound from the right Earphone during the first 30 seconds into this track. It's the lower frequency that is causing this rattling sound. I have tried changing the filters from Blue to White then Black. All seated securely. Still get this rattling. Other songs I play seem fine. I have listened to this Track with Sennheiser IEM's, and I don't get this rattling on the right channel.

Any help would be appreciated. As, I really hate to return them this early in the game.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #9,900 of 22,954
Hello, new member here. Just got my new Shure SE846's about a week ago. All has gone real well until I played a certain track of music. The Track is from the Album "Workshop 19" Track is called: "Untitled B1".My problem is that I'm getting a rattling sound from the right Earphone during the first 30 seconds into this track. It's the lower frequency that is causing this rattling sound. I have tried changing the filters from Blue to White then Black. All seated securely. Still get this rattling. Other songs I play seem fine. I have listened to this Track with Sennheiser IEM's, and I don't get this rattling on the right channel.

Any help would be appreciated. As, I really hate to return them this early in the game.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael

Sounds like you got a bad one.  Since it's only a week, your only trouble will be tearing apart that sealed Shure black box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back