Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #9,541 of 22,945
Are the se846 worth the $1,000?
I'm limited to only using earbuds and I'm looking for the best and most like "headphones"
I would like to get them at somepoint but, is the price going to come down at all soon?

In the US I've seem them go for ~750 new.  'Worth it' is completely subjective though.  I use them about 50% of the time while I sit at my work desk; split duty with a pair of Parrot Ziks due to the simple convenience of the wireless.  I'd likely use them more if I had custom tips as it's some what a chore for me to get a good seal during a high interrupt day (Cubicle life; people walk over for questions/etc). 

This would generally point me toward CIEMs if they were my only option, I'm not sure I'd start with se846s if my plan was customs; but I didn't investigate that market deep enough (I wanted a warmer universal IEM)

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #9,543 of 22,945
Hi guys, is it just me, or the stock cable that comes with the SE846 is super hard to remove?

My cable is a bit faulty. When the swooping earpiece isn't in the right position, sometimes, at an angle, my right earpiece has no audio...
I reckon it's the cable as the audio is fine most of the time.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #9,544 of 22,945
I didt get them from amazon but the agu 2014 is the same as the other two who returned theirs. I really don't want to go a wk with out my 846s And they haven't done that sense but maybe its best if I resolve this now instead of wating for it to happen again. Will I be able to replace them at the store I brought them from or is it better if I send them directly to shure??

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #9,545 of 22,945
I don't necessarily want to perpetuate this issue or cause any readers to question the reliability or build quality of their SE846 headphones.  Nevertheless, it's wonderful to have a forum like this available, so I feel somewhat compelled to contribute one more detail.  To be precise, a bar code tag on the box to my SE846 phones contains the serial number and the inscription "2014/08/20", so I assume that is a manufacture date of August 20, 2014.  I purchased my phones from Amazon in late January 2015.

I struggled with whether to return my phones to Amazon or Shure and, as you know, ultimately sent them to Shure.  I didn't want my money back, I wanted a working pair of headphones.  I possessed all the necessary paperwork (i.e., sales receipt) and my experience with Shure customer service was highly favorable.

As I said before, my right earphone failed repeatedly during the first two days of use...if it had been only once, I would have likely forgotten about it.  I will say that I also suspect the sound output of the right earphone didn't quite match the left...maybe that was another symptom of the defect...or maybe it was just a psychological phenomenon experienced by this audiophile...I'll never know.

While I don't necessarily believe in burn-in, I've left my phones playing at modest volume while I've been home the last two evenings for a total of approximately six hours at this point...they haven't yet failed, so I'm cautiously optimistic that I now own a properly functioning pair of SE846 headphones.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #9,546 of 22,945
Hmm I also felt that the sound out put dont match the left from the right but didt know if that was a real issue caused by the incident or if it was psychological I have a slightly older date then yours August 07, I'm send them in just in case, il send them directly to shire to prevent my self from getting the same batch. Did you call them before you sent your in or did you just fill out the form and sent them over?

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #9,549 of 22,945
Been comparing the SE846 and the JH Audio Angie (actually the first JH Audio I've ever owned). For $100 more, the Angie wins hands down as having the best sound (and you can forget talking about bass after playing around with Angie's tunable bass). I finally got a $1k IEM that I think is worth it in sound and value. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #9,550 of 22,945
  Been comparing the SE846 and the JH Audio Angie (actually the first JH Audio I've ever owned). For $100 more, the Angie wins hands down as having the best sound (and you can forget talking about bass after playing around with Angie's tunable bass). I finally got a $1k IEM that I think is worth it in sound and value. 

Do you have the custom Angie or universal model? How big is the physical size compared to 846's?

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #9,551 of 22,945
Guys, what is the turnaround time for SCS these days?
My impressions were sent in last Monday, by my gold circle audiologist. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #9,552 of 22,945
Guys, what is the turnaround time for SCS these days?
My impressions were sent in last Monday, by my gold circle audiologist. 

I would contact Claudia from Sensaphonics (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com) to truly find out the current ETA. Congrats on your purchase!

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #9,553 of 22,945
I didt get them from amazon but the agu 2014 is the same as the other two who returned theirs. I really don't want to go a wk with out my 846s And they haven't done that sense but maybe its best if I resolve this now instead of wating for it to happen again. Will I be able to replace them at the store I brought them from or is it better if I send them directly to shure??

That depends on the store's policies.  Where did you buy them and when?  Most reputable companies allow returns or exchanges within the first two weeks to a month.  If they have another one in stock, you should be able to walk away with the replacement set without hassle or fees.  If you're past the return date however, they will probably make you deal with Shure on your own, and in that case you should definitely call them as a first step.  Since this is a warranty issue for a defective item, you shouldn't have to pay for shipping either.

Seriously though, don't wait to see if the problem happens again, once is one time too many.  The SE846 are a flagship luxury product with a hefty pricetag and your ears deserve a perfect set.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #9,555 of 22,945

I have my eye on Layla for 1200 more.:cool::rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back