Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #9,376 of 22,945
what dac do you use if you don't mind me asking same thing happened to me cause my amp runs on 9v. This is why prople get dac amps with xlr or balanced plugins and get the converter to get a more grounded stable line

ibasso mk2

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #9,377 of 22,945
My ears are finally healed from infection and my ENT gave a green light to make the impressions... Seeing the Golden Circle audiologist this weekend. Then again few weeks wait and I will finally give my SE846 a proper listen!!

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #9,378 of 22,945
I am new to Massdrop however I have heard that if enough people continue to join after the lowest drop they may drop it lower.

Massdrop told that the price points are set before the drop starts and wouldn't be adjusted after that. However, the price points might me adjusted if the drop was to restart. It happened this time with SE846, where the lowest price from the last drop (799) was lowered to 779 in the new drop because of the demand (I assume they were able to negotiate little further).

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #9,379 of 22,945
Hello Rscoi.

I also listened to the AK100ii in combination with my Shure se846.
I found them to be a very good combination.
I compared it to fijo x5 and ibasso dx90 and the AK just was more precise in my opinion.
I was just wondering how you came to the decision to buy this player.

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #9,381 of 22,945
  My ears are finally healed from infection and my ENT gave a green light to make the impressions... Seeing the Golden Circle audiologist this weekend. Then again few weeks wait and I will finally give my SE846 a proper listen!!

Congrats! Glad you are healed.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #9,382 of 22,945
Hello Rscoi.

I also listened to the AK100ii in combination with my Shure se846.
I found them to be a very good combination.
I compared it to fijo x5 and ibasso dx90 and the AK just was more precise in my opinion.
I was just wondering how you came to the decision to buy this player.

Hi janbeggebeen, 
Yes, I agree. The SE846 sounds amazing on with the AK100ii.

I bought the AK100ii based on a couple of reasons. My testing/buying process was not as methodical as yours, however...
smile.gif

I first heard it in an electronics mall in Seoul, S.Korea, while on vacation/visiting relatives. It was the only stand alone player I had heard since my wife's ipod touch 4 died. My other player was my iphone 6, and I had already filled it half way up with useless junk. I knew Astell & Kern was highly regarded, and liked very much what I heard. 

I bought the AK100ii vs the AK120ii or AK240 because of 1) price 2) price, and 3) it's the smallest, and looks the best. To be perfectly honest, the 240 wasn't even in the budget, so I didn't even consider it. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #9,384 of 22,945
The MassDrop sales is done.  Lowest price was $779.  They are now looking for 200 requests to reopen it, last time I looked they had 60 something.  

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #9,386 of 22,945
  Hey I have a quick question. Can the SE846 handle DJ-ing well?

What do you mean dj'ing? You mean monitoring? If so, then yes. It does. I'm a dj and it does the job fine. There are probably better dj iems out there. I love my 846 for listening, for monitoring it is a different story. It also depends on the mixer you are using, headphone output. Most mixers are built to drive full-sized headphones. You can easily blow both your ears and iems out from a mixer if not cautious. I find that using my ie80's vs the 846 for monitoring and mixing does a WAY better job at higher volumes from most mixers. Out of all the iems/headphones I have/use, I am still preferring headphones to mix/monitor with. (Even though I went through an iem only phase.)

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #9,387 of 22,945
I had the Roxanne UF in my cart so I could finally do my own 846 comparison, but I decided against making that purchase yet again. It was mostly curiosity because I'm content with the 846 (for now).

The thing that changed my mind this time was something I just read. It was a review of the Roxanne by Steve Guttenburg (link to by someone on the Roxanne thread). The review was very complimentary to the Roxanne (even comparing it favorably to the 846). So why would that change my decision to purchase the Roxanne? Well, it was actually something Steve said about the JH13PH. I'll explain.

I have long since had a suspicion that listening to multiple earphones changes the soundstage of the earphones. When I use to listen to the 535 all work-week long, I would also listen to the E5c on my off days. Using my Galaxy S1 (with Voodoo and the Maven Player) the soundstage of the E5c was way out-of-head (making ordinary MP3s sound like binaural recordings). Over time I noticed the 535 soundstage was shrinking. It seem to help to put distance between listening to either earphone. But then I got the 846 (in 2013) and the 535 was relegated to an in-head only soundstage. It wasn't that way when the 535 was my primary IEM. Fast-forward to today and now even the E5c (with the same source as before) has barely an out-of-head soundstage. It use to sound so big and so spread out. The 846 seem to have changed it (or rather my perception).

What Steve said that bothered me was that (relative to the Roxanne) the JH13PH (at least on the song he chose) sounded stuck in his head. I can't be absolutely sure but I seem to remember Steve saying that the JH13PH was an out-of-head sounding earphone back when it was “king of the hill”.

I believe soundstage (with earphones) is fungible. I think the brain can change the perceived distances and positioning. I like where the 846 is now and I don't want it altered. It's yet another reason to keep my money in my pocket.

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #9,388 of 22,945
  Please watch your ears and be careful about listening at loud levels.  Hearing loss is cumulative and irreversible.  But the 846's are indeed amazing 
etysmile.gif

Funny but I find it's hard to tell what's "safe" . I usually listen with the 8's on an iPhone 6 at about 40%, occasionally up to 50%. I'm also older and have some hearing loss at high frequencies which I believe is a natural part of the aging process.

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #9,389 of 22,945
How do I get the best performance out of these SE846?  

I have had them for a few days and tried the blue and white filters so far.

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #9,390 of 22,945

Funny but I find it's hard to tell what's "safe" . I usually listen with the 8's on an iPhone 6 at about 40%, occasionally up to 50%. I'm also older and have some hearing loss at high frequencies which I believe is a natural part of the aging process.

I know what you mean since it's so subjective.  I too have some mild hearing loss, and while it is fairly universal sign of aging, my understanding is it's more the result of a lifetime's accumulated damage than something that just happens by itself.  I try to find a listening level that's comfortable, then dial it back a scoch so I can preserve what I have left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back